PDA

View Full Version : What IS this?!

Rachels
02-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Abigail is not a happy camper. She's throwing her head back, banging her face on things, thrashing, gulping, wincing, stiffening her legs, and still not sleeping. Other times she grins and babbles and plays with her toys. What the heck is going on?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

ismommy
02-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Hi Rachel,
This is my first time posting but I have been reading what has been happening with Abigail since we are going through similar thinsg with our daughter Isabella.
We were in the hospital over New Years since she was while not banging her face on things lying on the ground writhing in pain for 2 -3 hrs. She has been having all sorts of tests including catscans, gi series, ultrasounds and last week an endoscopy. We are still wiating on results. The only thing they have found so far if she has very bad reflux. It is strange that she is presenting with reflux at 15 months. Im not sure this helps but we have been told that the stiffening her legs and arching back maybe be caused by the reflux. It is so horrible watching babies in pain and not sure what cuases it.

I hope you find an answer soon.

Helene
Mom to Isabella Sarah 9/19/02

Rachels
02-05-2003, 01:15 PM
I know-- reflux is just awful. I think it's probably some combination of that and teething, really. I feel so bad for her! At the same time, it's not so easy on her mama! Yesterday I went to the chiropractor and the grocery store. I was gone for an hour, and came back feeling like I'd been at a spa. It was just so good to have a break! I have a plan with a friend of mine to leave get our husbands together, leave our babies with them, and go to a movie. Then I feel totally guilty, thinking those two movie hours are the exact hours when she'll be in pain and unsoothable...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

etwahl
02-05-2003, 01:16 PM
But you need the break and your husband will be able to take care of her beautifully. Just enjoy it (no guilt)!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

ismommy
02-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Yes I have talked to adults who ahve reflux and one woman said she'd rather give birth again. I get frustarted with our ped GI since she keeps saying she doenst think reflux could cause this much pain. I know they just want to make sure tehy are ruling everything scary out and thankfully it seems they have. But it makes me so nervous when they keep saying this is such an unusual case of reflux.

Defintly go out to teh movie. You will feel so much better and Abigal will be fine. I went out shopping with a friend(for a new diaper bag) and was so worried about leaving Isabella and she had teh best time and no attacks while I was gone.

If you ahve any suggestions about refulx I would appreciate it. All teh info I seem to find is for newborns or adults nothing for toddlers.

Helene

atlbaby
02-05-2003, 02:15 PM
I'm so sorry Abigail is having such troubles--and what you must be going through too!!

Breaks are so essential for *everyone's* well being (I'm sure you know this, but I find it helps to have it
reiterated--again and again--- to me! :) )
The guilt is something I haven't been able to find a way around, but your husband will do a wonderful job w/ Abigail while you get a well-deserved respite!!

Have a great time--what movie do you plan on seeing?

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

Rachels
02-05-2003, 02:45 PM
I haven't gotten that far. We don't even have an actual date yet-- it's just out there on the list of things to do. So far today, Abigail's longest nap has been seven minutes. I feel totally bleak because I know that napless days lead to sleepless nights, and I wonder how I am going to survive another one of those.

You wouldn't believe it if you saw her. I've never SEEN such a happy baby. She's easygoing and curious and friendly and interested and she babbles and looks at stuff and snuggles. She's probably had four fussy days in her life, total. If you spent a day with her, you'd think I have no reason to bitch whatsoever. But we're on six months of interrupted night sleep and two weeks of pure hell in the sleep department all day and all night. DH asked me last night if I was reaching a breaking point, and I said that even if I was, it's kind of too bad for me, isn't it? I can lose my mind and still have a baby to take care of. And most of the time, she's so delightful I can't even believe it. RIght now she's talking a book with pictures of babies and smiling. But thirty minutes ago she was bumping her head and rubbing her eyes and whimpering. She was crying when she woke up from her seven minute sleep, then crying when she woke up from the five minute sleep that followed it, and only perked up because I started to cry and she thought that was funny.

Sigh...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mamahill
02-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Oh Rachel! I just wanted to say how I feel for you. I've been handing out sleeping advice lately and of course the minute I do, Ainsleigh's sleeping goes to pot. Maybe I should post that nobody should listen to me afterall! I swear last night was in reverse because I thought the clock said 2:45 the first time I got up and then a while later she was up at 2:15, so who knows what's going on! And it really isn't fair that they laugh and coo while you're crying because it only makes me feel worse ("why are you crying mama, look how cute i am!"). So I try to laugh and coo at her while she's crying. It doesn't have quite the same effect...

Misery loves company!