PDA

View Full Version : I CAN SEE TEETH!!!!!!!!

Rachels
02-05-2003, 03:52 PM
All of a sudden there are teeth visible in Abigail's gums! Woo hoo! I have a new lease on life! They're not through the top, really-- it's more that I can see them head-on through the front of her gums. So they may take a while yet, I guess. I'm still psyched. At least I know they're there, and they make these crazy two weeks not seem quite as overwhelming and ridiculous.

I'm on a problem-solving mission. DH is coming home early so I can get some rest. I also just called the Y and signed us up for swimming lessons, beginning Monday. (It sounds fun. Also it will get me out of the house. Also it will help me meet other moms nearby. Maybe it will even tire Abby out and cause her to take a nap.)

Also-- and what do you think of this? -- I just gave her a little rice milk to try, and she thought it was FABULOUS stuff. One of the things that keeps me from leaving her with DH and taking off for an hour or two here and there is that I have a tough time pumping, and there's not always EBM in the house for Clay to give her. I do feed her before I leave, but that doesn't do much for the tired-and-need-to-suck phenomenon. But what if I fed her (so I knew she wouldn't be hungry) and then left a little rice milk for him to give her if she got cranky? Do you think that would be too sneaky a way to get a short break?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KathyO
02-05-2003, 04:10 PM
>But what if I fed her (so I knew she wouldn't be hungry) and then left a little rice milk for him to give her if she got cranky? Do you think that would be too sneaky a way to get a short break?

In short... NOPE! I did the same thing with rice cereal when I had to leave 5-month-old DD with her Dad while I went to a weekly night course. You're looking at an occasional thing here, so there's no way you're risking any nutritional issues, PLUS if she likes the rice milk so much, she'll be better disposed to being left with the person who gives it to her! When I babysat, my favourite clients used to leave money for the kids and I to order pizza. The kids were always very happy to see the babysitter! Same principle!!

Go for it!!!!!!

Cheers,

KathyO

atlbaby
02-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Yay Teeth!!! I always find once I can attribute *some* reason, anything at all!, to Arielle's behavior I feel so so much better! It must be a huge relief to see some cause for Abigail's erratic moods!

The swimming lessons sound fun! Arielle's never been yet, but I would love to find some opportunity to try before the summer so she's not so old (all of 20ish months LOL) that she'll be scared!

Leaving some rice milk for her if you get a moment out alone sounds like a good plan--if you feed her first maybe you could leave some finger foods she likes too?

Great that you can get some rest when DH comes home too! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

mamahill
02-05-2003, 04:29 PM
HOORAY! I'm so happy for you. It's nice to know there's a cause, and that it isn't personal ;). The swim lessons sound great - good luck (will look forward to hearing about them!).

It is NOT sneaky to leave her something to eat while you go out. Absolutely not. I say take it! May you get the rest you so deserve tonight. So glad they teeth are appearing. Congratulations!

spu
02-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Yeah!!

and what a great idea about the rice milk! I'll have to remember that!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

mamahill
02-05-2003, 09:17 PM
This "rice milk." What, exactly, is it? Ainsleigh won't take anything but water from a sippy cup. And forget the bottle. But maybe I could try this rice milk. Where did you get it and what is it called, if you don't mind me asking...

Rachels
02-06-2003, 01:04 AM
Not at all. But for some reason "this rice milk" has me giggling. I think we should just call it that. But in case you insist on an actual name, it's Rice Dream, and I got it at the supermarket in the organic aisle. My mom finds it easily, too. I know whole foods stores have it. It's some concoction that actually looks like milk, but made of brown rice and water. It's sweet, which is why I think Abby likes it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mamahill
02-06-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks - when I first read your post, I did the air quotes around "rice milk" because for some reason I'm convinced it could be the answer to our problems. And quoting things always makes them seem more mysterious. Thanks, I think I'll get some today and see how Ainsleigh does. I never thought I'd get to this, but I'm beginning to really want to wean. And then the guilt... But that will be another post. Glad you got some sleep last night!