PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal sins committed by your DH/SO during pregnancy.

flagger
02-05-2003, 08:30 PM
(SO being Significant Other)

So far I have managed quite a few. Ones that come to mind:

Eating the last of something for which she had a craving.

Using up all the hot water when she wanted to take a hot soaking bath.

And yesterday, she discovered that I had folded up my jeans before placing them in the laundry basket while just tossing the rest of our clothes in. That had my name screamed out in the wee hours before dawn.

I remain thankful the doghouse has a DSL connection.

What sort of cardinal sins did your DH or SO commit during your pregnancy?

raynjen
02-05-2003, 09:06 PM
The only one I can come up with is this:

I was craving fried rice from our favorite Japanese Steakhouse (the only craving I had during my entire pregnancy) - DH, trying to be reasonable, said we couldn't just buy the fried rice and that they didn't fill "to-go" orders. He offered to make me some instead. Of course it wan't what I wanted at all, but I was so scared of being "unreasonable" during my pregnancy that I didn't raise a fuss at all. Sounds like my DH got off pretty easily!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

atlbaby
02-05-2003, 09:17 PM
This is one we still joke about--

It was the 1AM the night I was in labor--back labor this is!--and were back home having gone to the hospital and been sent me home because there wasn't anything they could do for me. They said I should try and get some sleep (HA!) and come back in a few hours or if the pain got too bad. So we went to bed, and needless to say I was pretty miserable, and every time I would drift off a contraction would come and I would jab DH in the ribs and say 'you're sleeping! wake up!! how can you sleep!?' We went back at 5AM...Arielle was born 11:26PM that night.
But the kicker is DH still says, SERIOUSLY, that HE got no sleep that night because I wouldn't let him.

Well, I suppose if the only one I can come up with happened the night I was in labor that means DH did a good job during my pregnancy...

Cute idea for a thread!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

egoldber
02-05-2003, 09:19 PM
When I was pregnant, the only things that made me truly ill were the smells of coffee and alcohol. My DH and I (when not pregnant) are real coffee fanatics. He didn't understand why I didn't want to make HIM coffee in the morning when the smell made me want to puke!

Some additional post baby comments:

Do I have any clean pants? Did you get a chance to iron my shirts? (...with me still in my PJs at 5 pm... he soon started taking his work clothes to the laundromat)

While you're home today, could you take care of ...(long list of 10 complicated transcations, again with me still in my PJs at 5 pm)

Nothing too serious I guess, but highly irritating at the time.

blnony
02-05-2003, 09:35 PM
I was pretty lucky. DH was great. But when I was huge, I needed about 8 pillows to be comfortable at night. DH would get so huffy when my "wall of pillows" bothered his sleep.
The biggest mistake came postbaby when I still had a lot of baby weight on at 5 or 6 weeks post and I was tired of maternity clothes and I didn't have anything to wear. Whatever you do, don't tell your wife she doesn't look good in something (he didn't say FAT, but just that it didn't look very flattering....) I literally locked myself in the closest and wouldn't come out. But I did get a nice shopping spree out of it, and needless to say, DH has never made such a mistake. since.

jaime_n_jay
02-05-2003, 09:47 PM
I had worked long and hard to make the perfect lasagna (half without mushrooms cause DH doesn't like them) and it turned out beautifully. I carefully stored the very LARGE leftover portions in 2 containers (again, one with mushrooms and one without) for work the next day and I couldn't sleep that night just thinking about the yummy lasagna that was waiting for me. Next morning DH leaves for work before I get up and when I go to grab my dream lunch I realize that he has taken BOTH containers! I broke down in tears!

I called him up (poor guy) and he said he thought they were both for him and although he knew he wouldn't be able to eat all of it, he thought he would just throw the rest away without me knowing and fretting about wasted food. AHHHH!! I actually cried again that day at lunchtime thinking of my poor lasagna. (uh, can you say 'HOROMONES'? More like horror-mones! hehehe!) He promised to bring mine home but, of course, kept forgetting to so eventually it was thrown away. <sob>

Other than that, he has been an absolute angel so I guess I am doing alright. :)

Jaime
edd 3-19-03

brubeck
02-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Gee mine sounds minor in comparison.

Generally my husband was good about dealing with my pregnancy issues, but he LOVES getting massaged, and even when I was 39 weeks pregnant he was STILL asking me to rub his feet every night. Did he ever offer to massage his poor, aching wife? Noooooo........ :-)

mcmorfit
02-06-2003, 09:33 AM
My DH has been great - very excited and encouraging EXCEPT for the event now known as "The Cupcake Episode".

We went to Rhinebeck (beautiful Hudson Valley town) to do some hiking and to visit one of my favorite places to buy cupcakes. I bought my cupcake to eat after hiking and DH got his cc cookie (which he gobbled down) and then proceeded to hike. Upon arrival back to the car, I pulled out my water, napkin and opened the perfect box containing the perfect cupcake. I took a bite and it was heaven - the taste, the fall colors, etc. Then DH asked if he could try it. When I gave it to him, there was 90% left, when it came back there was probably 20% left.

I kid you not.

How in the name of all things good and kind, could he do this? This cardinal sin has not been forgotten by my girlfriends and now DH is known as the Cupcake Monster.

But in the end, I am happy he is here, even if he is eating my cupcakes, as he is going to be an awesome papa.

Ellen, still craving cupcakes
EDD: 02/23/03

bluej
02-06-2003, 10:49 AM
I have to say that my DH is pretty good during the pregnancies for the most part. If I'm craving something, he'll go out and get it, even if it's freezing out. He always calls on his way home from work to ask if there is anything that I'm wanting. He does not expect me to cook at all during this pregnancy (meat is still a major turn-off at 24 weeks). However, he is less than perfect when it comes to L&D. With our first one he started his Masters program when I was eight months pregnant. I didn't feel like moving and finding another Dr. at that point so I moved in with my parents and decided to just call him when things got going. It was a five hour drive and our first baby, so we figured we had all the time in the world. Which we did. He arrives at the hospital at 10:30 at night and asks my Dad if he'll go get him something to eat b/c he hasn't had supper. I haven't eaten since two that afternoon, he proceeded to eat his burger, fries and diet coke in front of me :( And then he went to sleep. He had pulled an all nighter studying the night before and he was tired, oh poor baby. He would occassionally (okay, rarely) wake up while I was having a contraction and ask if I was all right. At three in the morning I finally asked for an epidural. Boy did he jump up then. He was totally against the whole epidural thing. I didn't care. I was tired and I was in pain and there didn't seem to be any end in sight any time soon. We were both much better rested at 10:30 in the morning when it was time to deliver, but I still was bit peeved with him. So five years later it's time to have baby #2. We both figure this will be smooth sailing b/c he now knows no matter how tired he is, he's not allowed to sleep or make a fuss if I want any meds. Btw, he is in school again at this point. This time at The Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA. When I'm 38 weeks along he wakes up one morning with food poisoning. He calls in and says he's not going to make it to class. Just as I'm helping him get back into bed with his bucket and towels, my water breaks. He of course thinks I'm kidding. Nope. Contractions start as well. I call my Dr. and he wants me to go to L&D right away. I take DD to the neighbors, pack my bag, load the car and get DH. We are walking to the car and he says 'You are going to drive aren't you?' Uh lets see, it's 8:30 in the morning, the highway is packed with morning commmuters still, my water is still breaking and I'm having contractions....sure I'll drive. And I did. I drove the 45 minutes to the hospital while he, of all things, moaned through his pains. Needless to say he was useless during both the labor and delivery that time. So we are now on baby #3. Guess what, he's in school AGAIN! This time he's getting his PhD. I'm not expecting a whole lot from him this time. He swears this time he is going to make up for the others. I won't hold my breath. Oh well, he's an excellent dad and that's more important for the next 18 years of the childs life than a few hours of me being in pain.

jojo2324
02-06-2003, 11:22 AM
I am nearly peeing my pants!! This is too funny...I can't believe he was moaning while you can barely get your tummy behind the wheel. :D

At least your DH had the common sense to eat there with you! Mine took off when I was at 5 cm, because "he would have passed out otherwise." Yup, he claims he got clearance from the doctor, but I don't give a rat's petunia what he got, I hadn't eaten for 15 hours and he was off getting dinner with a couple of his buddies. Now, to be completely fair, DH is a rather big guy and had not eaten in some time (read: lunch...He left at about 5pm). Also, he passes out at the sight of needles, so I did need him to be at optimal performance level when it came time for the epi. BUT HE DIDN'T EVEN EAT IN THE CAFETERIA...HE WENT TO A RESTAURANT. What a jackass. At least my mother was there with me, so she doubled as support and a witness to his stupidity. :D

He still doesn't quite see what the big deal is, but he manages to get upset whenever I tell the story. (All the time, you betcha!) Why would he get upset if he didn't understand? Ooooh, I am getting annoyed just recounting this. I think that was the worst of his blunders during my pregnancy. Oh, he forgot to bring me home dinner once. Roast beef that I had been salivating over all day. And I was STARVING. And a royal you-know-what. (Hey! It's my right!) Now, he's a great pop, but he has committed many more sins as an actual father than he has as an expectant one. I won't detail them here, but suffice it to DH has grown wary of these message boards. "What are you typing about me NOW?" Nothing but the truth, my man....

bluej
02-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Okay, that is way worse! I would have killed (and do mean that literally) if DH would have left to have a 1-2 hour steak dinner with his buddies while I was in labor! What is it with men? Are they really that stupid?

blnony
02-06-2003, 12:09 PM
What is it with men and having to eat while their wives are giving birth. During labor I was starving to death, one bowl of cereal at 8 am and its now 10 p.m. and I haven't had anything but freakin ice chips, and DH HAS to go eat, because he just can't make it. He even brought a bag of snacks and he's over there munching on Pringles and cookies, and thats still not enough.
This really shows why women have the babies. . . sorry Mr. Flagger, I know you started this, but we haven't put you in the virtual doghouse yet:)

jojo2324
02-06-2003, 12:15 PM
I don't think it was steak, maybe a burger.

trumansmom
02-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Three incidents came springing to mind!!!

1) Usually, my DH upon completing a meal, asks me if I'm going to finish my food and finishes it up for me. Kind of annoying normally, but not a big deal. For some reason, after about 30 weeks on, he stopped asking and started just reaching and taking when he thought I was done. BIG MISTAKE!!! NEVE TAKE FOOD AWAY FROM A PREGNANT WOMAN!!! He's lucky not to have fork scars on the back of his hand.

2) 4 days before I delivered I had a doctor's appointment. We drove 2 hours in a blizzard to get there (normally a 15 minute drive), thinking she was probably going to admit me and induce me that day. She didn't. I was already really, really upset, and now I was upset and on bedrest. I asked my DH to make me a grilled cheese sandwich with plain Lay's potato chips. I was VERY specific. He went to the store to get the things he needed, and bought Baked Lay's instead. I lost it. I actually called my mother and told her I was getting a divorce because my husband clearly had no respect for my feelings. I then called my sister, my sister-in-law, my best friend and told them all the same.

3)And now I can't actually remember the third thing. But I do remember standing on the stairs screaming at him, crying hysterically and suddenly blurting out , "AND MY SHOES DON'T FIT!!!" Thankfully, he got that the argument truly wasn't about him any more and just held me. It's amazing how far a hug will go ease irrationality!

And now we just found out #2 is on the way!! Hopefully, he learned his lessons about food!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman - 11/29/01
and ??? 10/??/03

gour0
02-06-2003, 12:42 PM
I'm not going to be popular for sticking up for the men, but... everyone should be eating, drinking and getting enough sleep during labor. Hospitals shouldn't keep the women restricted to ice chips. If you're hungry, you should eat because you need the strength to push that baby out! I am very lucky to have a birthing unit available for my delivery. No restrictions on food at all. We were discussing this in Birthing From Within class last week and the teacher is/was a doula...She said she always recommends both parents get some sleep during early labor if they can. That way they have energy for the harder stuff later. It doesn't do any good to have dh passing out! ;) She also tells them to take smalll breaks if they need it. (Probably not an hour and a half!) One of the tips she gave for the women birthing in hospitals is to bring bullion cubes because they qulaify as 'clear' liquids and also to have honey because it is a good boost of energy.
Back to the subject, though... I know dh has been in the doghouse a lot, but I can't remember why at all. I try to chalk it up to 'men just don't get it'. (sorry flagger)

kathsmom
02-06-2003, 01:05 PM
Great post, Flagger!

When I was in labor with DD, I had a lot of bleeding and very high blood pressure. The doctor kept thinking he was going to have to do an emergency c-section. I couldn't have ice chips, water, or anything. I couldn't even have an epidural, because they didn't want to slow down my labor. Finally, I was able to have the epidural and got my orange popsicles (I had cravings for orange popsicles and TCBY's orange sorbet). Some friends brought DH and my mom dinner from Quincy's Steak House (don't think they are in business anymore!). They made awesome yeast rolls and DH was starving. Well, he and my mom left the room to eat. The nurse came to check me thinking I would only be 5 cm, because of my slow progression from 0-4 cm. She and the doctor were surprised to see that I had dilated from 4cm to 10 cm in 2 hours. They told me it was time to push and went to get DH. Well, he asked if he could finish his yeast roll and soda. The doctor said "No, there's no time for that. Your wife is ready to push!" So, he brings it in the room with me and tries to shove it down his throat before I can read him the riot act!

Also, the night before DD was born, I was having contractions. I was watching Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, and she had her baby on the show the night that I was going into labor! She also named her daughter Katherine! Anyway, we were in our bed and Steve was timing the contractions for me. We had the TV on and Jim Carrey was the guest host on Saturday Night Live. DH kept watching the show and was rolling off the bed laughing. Meanwhile, I am punching him to try to keep track of the contractions. We did not leave for the hospital until the show was over.

For DS, I would have to say that DH learned his lesson. We had no problems. In fact, I was put on bedrest for about the last 2 months of my pregnancy. DH had to do everything around the house, for me and our DD, and work his job. He was just amazing!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

newbelly2002
02-06-2003, 01:06 PM
And speaking of dogs . .

Like others, it was L&D that caused problems.

I woke up at 4:00 AM with 5 minute apart contractions. I timed them alone for 30 minutes to make sure they were real (I had passsed a gall stone two weeks earlier). Then I wake up DH and say it's time. The doc, 30 minutes later, says get on the road because we lived 40 minutes from the hospital. DH says to me, "you wait at the house, I'm going to give the dog a long walk. It's going to be a hard day on him. Here's the phone, call me if the contractions gets bad."

Now I love my dog, but hard day on HIM?! Twenty five minutes later DH comes back and we drive to the hospital. I'm fuming in-between contractions.

Once there all goes well (except for a "snack" episode like others have mentioned. "but Honey, you want me to be strong for you, don't you? in between bites of peanut butter granola bar. And Joanne,since you had delivered about 1 month before me and written about Sean's behavior, I told Steve it would be in no way acceptable for him to leave for anything other than a brief--chaperoned-- bathroom break!). The kicker was during the pushing. I'd been pushing for over an hour with not much progress (turns out DS was nose side up). The nurse tells DH to grab my leg for a new position. DH does for a minute and then lets go. The nurse commands him to grab and HOLD. He says, "Do I have to? Can't you get another nurse to do it?" She says: "there isn't time. What's the problem?" DH: "Well, do you have any of that cream you put beneath your nose for the smell?" I'm lying there after 18+ hours of labor with an oxygen mask on my face trying to pass a 6 pound baby between my legs and he's complaining about a little odor? The nurse looked at him with absolute disgust and then at me with pity. If I hadn't been "otherwise occupied" I would have throttled him. Instead I told him I had some strong menthol chapstick in the bag if it would help and would he PLEASE grab hold of my leg NOW.

To this day his advice to other men is to bring vasoline or the like. He says that childbirth classes prepared him for everything but the odor. And he wonders why I now do not hesitate to comment on and have no patience with his "morning breath."

Good thing he's such a great dad.

Paula

twins r fun
02-06-2003, 01:09 PM
What a story! You having to drive yourself to the hospital is just too much! That is really bad luck with the timing of food poisoning. Hoping #3 goes more smoothly!

Nicole

blnony
02-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Well, unfortunately, I had my daughter premature and had to have iv antibiotics and pitocin. I snuck in a few pringles and one peppermint, and proceeded to throw every bit of it up while also having seizures. Not recommended. I had the best OB nurse in the world, and she assurred me it was perfectly normal, that vomiting duirng labor was nothing new, but not to eat anything else. I agree though that if you are having a perfectly normal labor and have no complications, a lite snack could probably only help.

kathsmom
02-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Paula,

I am falling out of my chair and cryng from laughing so hard!! I am sorry that happened to you, but it sure makes for one heck of a story!! Thanks for posting this and making my day a little better!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

flagger
02-06-2003, 01:55 PM
I can add another one to my list.

I took the dogs out about 2AM last night and came back to bed. I went to snuggle next to her and she wasn't in bed. So I started calling for her. She wasn't in the bathroom, or in the office, or in the guest bedroom. I was really getting concerned that she might have gone sleepwalking somewhere.

I went back downstairs to the couch next to the backdoor where I had just let the dogs out and back in and she was lying under two afghans sound asleep.

I made the mistake of waking her up and asking her to come to bed. She just told me she didn't go back to sleep for another two hours.

Next time, I will just leave her there and get up and go get her when her alarm goes off.

If men were the ones having babies, the human race would end.

twins r fun
02-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Okay, I have pulled myself together enough to post! Everyone's L&D stories have me just rolling! Every single one of them-the odor, the food, the things that come before getting to the hospital. So funny!! I guess my husband lucked out because we had a semi-emergency c section with no labor so he didn't really have time to screw up! And for the life of me, I cannot think of anything he did wrong during pregnancy or in those early months post birth. I must have just blocked it out because I'm sure there were some. Maybe it'll come to me. In the meantime, keep posting! Great idea, Flagger!

Nicole

Hallie_D
02-06-2003, 03:12 PM
I haven't posted in a while but I couldn't resist this topic... DH was pretty good during the pregnancy although there was one incident when he left out a very garlicky serving bowl all night instead of washing it. I had a very strong aversion to the smell of garlic during pregnancy but he couldn't resist making himself pasta with tons of pesto. I went into the kitchen to make myself breakfast and there it was, pungent and disgusting (he hadn't even run water in it!). He got an earful about that!

But nothing he did can compare to what HIS father did when his mother went into labor 5 weeks early. First of all, she woke up at about 5 am with horrible back pain and had no clue that it might be contractions. She dragged herself to the bathroom to urinate and when she reached to clean herself up, she felt...A FOOT! When she called to her husband, "It is time to go to the hospital," he said, "Make me breakfast first, I'm too hungry to leave now."

And you know what, she crossed her legs and made him breakfast. I think it was instant breakfast and toast, but STILL!

He dropped her off in front of the hospital and went to park and when he got back to her room she had already had the baby--no time for a c-section, luckily there were no complications from the breach birth.

Guess what? They were divorced within 2 years.

But I told DH that he could make jokes about asking me to make him breakfast right up until the time that I actually went into labor, at which point I reserved the right to punch him in the nose.

newbelly2002
02-06-2003, 04:54 PM
These stories are great. Glad I can contribute. Great idea, Mr. Flagger.

You know, you've started some great topics here--thoughtful and all encourage personal tales. I was wondering about this until I remembered that you said you are also a part time humor writer, right? Just be sure we find out if and when our stories end up somewhere (modified, of course).Royalty checks forthcoming?

One writer sensing another. . .and wondering why I didn't come up with such a great idea first :)

Paula

etwahl
02-06-2003, 05:07 PM
When we went to SF at New Year's, DH got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom (he NEVER does this, unlike me who even when not pregnant, usually gets up 2 or 3 times - small bladder!) Being the light sleeper I am, I woke up and followed him to the bathroom expecting to use it first. He wouldn't let me! He jumped right in and said he had to go NOW and couldn't hold it! I was FURIOUS, ripping him apart that I was the pregnant one and (excuse the expression) pee VERY fast! I could hardly get back to sleep I was so mad at him and kept mumbling under my breath. The next morning I had forgotten about it until he reminded me and it seemed pretty funny then (but sure wasn't at the time). Of course, I'd give anything to have him cut in line for the bathroom now, but that's a whole 'nother post :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

flagger
02-06-2003, 05:29 PM
>These stories are great. Glad I can contribute. Great idea,
>Mr. Flagger. I was wondering about this until I remembered that you >said you are also a part time humor writer, right? Just be sure we >find out if and when >our stories end up somewhere (modified, of >course). Royalty checks forthcoming?

Nah, these stories are not for publication. It is just that I find myself going through these events and it is good to know I am not the only one. I know being a DH, I am in the minority here, but I have always done a bit of self-depreciating humour as part of my act anyway. ;)

I love seeing all the responses. It is sharing personal stories that makes places like this more than just a website message forum. They bring people closer together when you realise "Thank God, I am not the only one."

I think the next topic will be, did you film the child birth? We have no plans to do that, but we did film the conception. ;)

gour0
02-06-2003, 06:13 PM
I like your new avatar image, but it's always kind of freaky when they move!

Dcclerk
02-06-2003, 07:03 PM
I'm 22 weeks now and have only one story and one general gripe to share now, but I'm sure more to come...

My general gripe... the man does not think that we need to get anything for the baby. I swear to you it was only recently that he seemed to agree that we should probably get a carseat. To him, there is no need for clothes (someone else will buy), no need for a bassinet/cradle/moses bed b/c the kid will sleep in the crib from day 1 (keep in mind, please that DH is going to make the crib and has only just started), no need for a stroller (b/c we will just carry the baby), no need for a glider b/c we have a COUCH that can be put in the baby's room (w/ the desk that he will not give up.... and the room is only 8 X 10), no need for a dresser (b/c the baby's clothes are so small we can just stack them, on the floor, I guess), and no need for a changing table (even the type that goes on top of a dresser) b/c you can just change them on the crib. I am about ready to throttle him. x(

As for the story...

When I was about 12 weeks (actually from 5 to 18, if you want the truth), I was always nauseated, couldn't handle smells and threw up all the time. DH was under strict orders that no dishes could sit in the sink and he must take out the trash every night so the smells couldn't ferment.

We had gone out that night and I, like usual, was feeling really nauseated by the time I got home. I walked in the door and SCREAMED at the hideous smell that met me. I started barfing from the moment I walked through the door and didn't stop until, of course, I got to the bathroom. It was one of my worst attacks yet. DH kept running around asking where the smell was b/c he couldn't smell it at all! (I swear to you the man must have burned his olfactory bulbs in some freak science experiment he forgot to tell me about.) I had to hunt the offending odor down myself, gagging all the way. Wouldn't you know... right next to the trash was a take-out box of Kentucky Fried Chicken that had fallen out. DH didn't think that the cardboard would smell too bad (never mind the rancid chicken pieces inside) and so hadn't bothered to pick it up! Boy, has he learned!

mamahill
02-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Your husband should meet mine - he thought we could just "stash" the baby in a box for the first couple months. "Why does she need so many clothes? She has 6 dresses for crying out loud?" me (sighing and rolling my eyes): "Did you happen to notice the different SIZES?" "They're all small to me." Well duh. And that was only my first trip shopping. "You're buying MORE clothes?" me: "You're asking MORE dumb questions?"

Other than the fact that DH loved to refer to my "girth" during pregnancy, I don't think he offended me too badly (but then I seem to have forgotten a lot lately). But just a couple weeks ago I was lamenting that the bus doesn't run during mid-day and how fun it would be to get on the bus with DD and ride to my friend's house. He commented that she didn't really live that far away and I could probably just push the stroller over there.

Me: You're kidding, right.
DH: It's really not that far.
Me: Ok, first of all, it's 5 miles one way. And even if I felt like walking 10 miles one day, I wouldn't feel like pushing a stroller. And by the way, did you notice the HILLS?!?!?!?!
DH: Well it's not-
Me: The HILLS! Good God, man, the HILLS!

(let me interject here that I live on a hill that has truck warnings of a 15% grade, whatever that means. Basically, to walk 200 yards has you huffing and puffing. To get to my friend's house, I would have to go up and down about 5 of those. Add to that speed limits of 35-45 mph, and the fact that half of the time there aren't sidewalks. back to the argument)

Me: Did you take an insurance policy out on me or something? Do you REALLY not like us?
DH: But... Well... Hmmm...

As it was, we were driving over to my friend's house at that moment, so any time we went up or down a hill, I was shouting, "The HILLS!" or "No SIDEWALKS!" or "Speeding CARS!" I did this both ways. Suffice it to say, he does not suggest me walking anywhere now.

This is no pregnancy or L&D story, merely that although he is wonderful 99% of the time, he still makes mistakes. Me, on the other hand, well, I can just chalk it up to hormones... ;)

Melanie
02-06-2003, 08:07 PM
"What sort of cardinal sins did your DH or SO commit during your pregnancy?"

Working out regularly and getting into shape whilest I continued to grow grow grow!

hrmph

Mommy to Jonah

jojo2324
02-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Tammy's post made me think of another one! DH still laughs over this one, but I don't think it is so funny...Well, a little bit. It's a little gross, so prepare yourselves. You tell me who you think is right. (ahem, me!)

I was horribly sick the first trimester. I couldn't move, I was miserable, losing weight, and I couldn't eat anything that had any flavor. And what little I could eat I would throw up.

Since I was running to the toilet pretty much every fifteen minutes, and getting there with no time to spare, I asked DH to kindly leave the lid up on the toilet. (seat down, yes please) It was one less thing for me to have to think about. He said he would.

Cut to me hauling buns across the house to get to the bathroom. I barely got in the door and just lost it. I didn't even have a chance to turn on the light. I did manage to direct the "flow", if you will, in the proper direction. But all did not sound right...

I turned on the light, and much to my dismay, the lid had NOT been left open, like I had so sweetly asked. There it was, shut and splattered. Ugh.

I LOST it with DH. He countered with, "Well, what do you expect? My whole life, lid down, lid down, lid down! And now I'm just supposed to up and switch?!" "YES! That is EXACTLY what you are supposed to do!"

I must finish this by saying that he has now gone the other route, and routinely forgets to put the lid down. Even though I ask him ALL the time. "What if the baby falls in?!" "Wait, so now I'm just supposed to up and switch?!" At least we have one of those locks...

bnme
02-07-2003, 09:13 AM
He He
I can relate...my already skinny husband decided he needed to LOSS weight while I was pregnant was (gasp) 170. (His size 34 pants were feeling a bit snug and he started reminising about size 32 days).

I think we both ended up being around 165! Makes ya feel good, huh