PDA

View Full Version : American Baby?

jojo2324
02-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Can someone explain something to me? First of all, I receive American Baby every month. I did not sign up for it and I do not pay for it. It is seemingly a free publication. Why, then, is it chock full of subscription cards? You can sign up for a full year "for only $13.97, a savings of $9.97 off the regular subscription price." What's that about? Why would I want to pay for something I get for free? Unwillingly? Yeah, I thumb through it, but it just ends up in the recycle bin the next day. Is there a second version of this magazine that could justify subscribing to it? I have never seen one in stores.

x( I am puzzled. I am puzzled enough as it is about stuff that matters. ("We need to get Gannon on a sippy cup! NOW! He is falling desperately behind! NOW NOW NOW!" {me} Followed by us dashing out to buy one at the store. A pink one with purple handles. Made by Playtex. The only one they had. "It isn't quite girly enough, maybe we could have bought one made by OB?" {Shawn} Gannon proceeded to suck on the *bottom* of his sippy cup and toss it to the floor. A reaction to pink, perhaps?)

August Mom
02-06-2003, 12:19 AM
I know that American Baby offers a free year's subscription. There are various places you can sign up for this, including coolsavings.com. How you are receiving the free subscription without signing up, I'm not sure. Perhaps you wound up on the list from a registry with BRU or purchasing hospital photos or some other baby-related list that sold your name. My understanding is that the free magazine is the same as the one that you pay for.

ctsiouts
02-06-2003, 08:40 AM
I have been getting this magazine for free too, only now I am getting two each month because my mom bought me 4 magazine subscriptions for my birthday. I don't think she realizes I do not have time to read ONE magazine, let alone four. But that's ok...
However, I have never actually seen American Baby for sale on the stands so maybe you can purchase subscriptions on the net and only people who don't know any better (like poor Grandma) do this. I think you can even pick them up for free at BRU, right?
Haha, doesn't make much sense to me either, and yes they are the exact same magazine - free mag = paid mag.

Christy

egoldber
02-06-2003, 11:40 AM
I have been getting American Baby since Sarah was born and I have NEVER paid a dime for it. I have no idea how or why it's coming.

I saw the sippy cup article you're talking about. The one that said no bottles at all by one year. Yeah right. Just remember that a lot of mainstream magazines say things like "have your baby off all bottles by 12 months" HOPING you'll have them off bottles by 18-24 months.

I am really not fond of any of the baby magazines. They are all just formula ads and FisherPrice ads. Although the 15% off coupons for Pampers and Huggies do come in handy.

lj11
02-07-2003, 12:26 AM
You must be getting the subscription I paid for! I subscribed early in my pregnancy and got two issues (or something like that, it was so long ago I can't remember) and never got another one. Oh well...I get better advice and information from these message boards!!

Lj
mom to Cooper Simone 2/28/02

atlbaby
02-07-2003, 12:35 PM
I've been getting it too from somewhere out there...maybe through the hospital Lamaz class? But then it stopped coming and I signed up for it again through the Baby Center email-newsletter though I haven't see it yet.

And Joanne, your pink sippy cup story made me laugh, bc we use the First Years ones (not disposable) and there *are* no girly colors...Which would be fine (I love blue/turquoise/purple) but Arielle is so often mistaken for a boy that her blue cups don't help one bit!!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

jubilee
02-08-2003, 02:17 AM
If you shopped at a Motherhood Maternity store, I'll bet that's where your "subscription" came from. When you first buy something there they get your name and address and put in your bag a card for the subscription. But I don't think it matters if you send it in or not, because you get on their list anyway. The magazine often includes coupons, so I enjoy that for sure!

Momof3Labs
02-08-2003, 11:15 AM
I think that's where my subscription came from - the name misspelling matches. The coupons are the best part!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

abigailsmom
02-08-2003, 01:24 PM
That must be one of their trademarks... misspelled names. I am currently getting 3 American Baby mags a month and none of them have my named spelled right:)!

MartiesMom2B
02-08-2003, 01:34 PM
The last time I was at BRU, I saw a whole stack of them by where your register, so if you want them for the coupons and you happen to be at BRU grab some.

Hmmm, I'm not sure where most of the catalogs and magazines including American Baby come from. Most of them have the same misspelling of my name. It's like they mysteriously know that I'm expecting.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

brubeck
02-08-2003, 07:23 PM
In my experience the magazines at the BRUs do NOT have the BRU 15% off diapers coupons in them.

That would just make it too easy, wouldn't it? :-)