PDA

View Full Version : Itching/Hives post-pregnancy

JMarie
02-05-2003, 11:57 PM
I am about to scratch myself raw! My feet, ankles, and stomach look like I have hives and they itch terribly! I've tried Benadryl cream (maximum strength), Aveeno Dry-Skin, and Gold Bond itch relief, but none of them work very well. Is this normal after pregnancy? Will it go away? On top of everything else, I don't have a physician (insurance company made changes as of Jan 1st...) and if this isn't pregnancy-related, I might have trouble getting in to see someone. DH is about to kick me out of bed - this is making it difficult to sleep as well. Any suggestions for relief? TIA!

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

blnony
02-06-2003, 12:25 AM
I had a similar problem after DD, and my OB said it was related to the IV antibiotics and pitocin I had to have. I just used hydrocortizone cream, but you really should call your OB about it, they could probably help.
P.S. I am so glad Aidan is home and doing great.

Rachels
02-06-2003, 01:00 AM
You can try taking Benadryl-- more systemic than the cream, so might work better. I'm so sorry! Also, lukewarm baths with oatmeal or baking soda.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jojo2324
02-06-2003, 11:02 AM
I thought of baths too, but you have to wait right? How long? Three weeks? I can't remember! You could do sponge baths, just wrap yourself in washcloths. I'm sorry you have to go through this!

mama2be
02-06-2003, 11:08 AM
First thing that pops into my head is allergic reaction to either soemthing you are on now (medicine) or if they have not put you on something "new' then a reaction to the meds that were given to you in the hospital. It is very very common to have a reaction to meds from the hospital. You want to make certain that they are not making you react in your airway though. If it is just itching I'd tell my OB so that it is docuemtned and that you have an MD telling you this...but if it is a reaction an OB can monitor that (if he/she tries to tell you to call you FP let them know your situation they'll take care of you). I bet they'll say "Benadryl by mouth"!!!!

I had a similiar reaction after I got my "new nose" :):):)...it was from the post op pain meds.

egoldber
02-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Like Neve said it may be from pain meds. Many people (including me) get an itching reaction to the morpheine family of medications. Many times you get duramorph just before your epidural is removed. I thought I was going to go crazy from the itching, but it went away after a couple days. If they have you on any morpheine type drugs for pain, ask for something else.

Benadryl by mouth will probably help. I can't take Benadryl because even a child's dose completely zonks me out, but they gave me something else instead by prescription. Ask your OB.

HTH,

mama2be
02-06-2003, 11:34 AM
AHHHH I didn't even think about 'zonking out" and having a new baby so can't be "zonked"...I'm always like "bring on the "zonk"!!!! But that is something to consider since you can't be zonked with alittle one (actually is someone home with you now). I don't know what they'll give you but there is something out there for you I am certain. If it is an allergic reaction to meds I don't know if the baths etc.. will help, I think you'll need a med PO (by mouth) , but must stress I am not certain about that!!!

JMarie
02-06-2003, 01:11 PM
DH is home with me for the next two weeks, so I can pass out if I need to - he is so crazy about his son, I don't really have to do anything if I don't want to. He's really a great dad already, so I think maybe I'll just start the oral Benadryl and see if that works. The itching is just insane though!

JMarie

mama2be
02-06-2003, 01:29 PM
I bet that will fix it...just make certain you don't have any problems breathing, or throat feeling like it is closing up...allergies are soooo common...but every once inawhile they can kick in and be very dangerous. I have an allergy to some preservative that is NOT COMMONLY used (thank god). But it is virtually untraceable as to what it is.

When I hit about 25 it started, and about every 18 months for 5 years I'd end up as a patient in the ER with epi and all. The worst actually happened while I was working in the ER...I ate a Big Foot Pizza about midnight and within a few minutes lips swelled, itched, threw up and diarrhea...I was so bad off they had code paddles besdie me and itched so bad they actually restrained my arms they thought I would leave scars on myself. I remember the Dr saying if I had not been in the ER when I had it there would have been a good chance it could have killed me. Needless to say I walk around with EPI pens. Knock on wood haven't had one in a while.

Kate888
02-06-2003, 01:55 PM
I had the same problem as well!! It started at the last month of pregnancy but gradually got worse. My OB said it would go away after I deliver the baby but it didn't. Moreover, after the delivery, it had gotton so bad that I literally scratched myself raw. I was unable to sleep and looked like I had hives on my stomach, back and legs. After trying Benadryl cream, tablets, oatmeal bath, anti-itching lotion from my OB, nothing worked. My OB finally referred me to a dermatologist and she said it was atopic dermatitis (?spelling) which means it was a skin condition but they didn't know what caused it. She prescribed me a cream with corticosteroids and it became better. Because I was nursing, she told me to use it only when needed. She also said if I was not nursing, oral tablets would help instantly. After a few weeks, it gradually went away.

Later I read somewhere in a magazine saying this condition is like an allergic reaction to your hormonal change after having a baby. So guess I was allergic to myself LOL!

Talk to your doctor and hope this helps.

Kate

JMarie
02-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Well, I finally dragged myself to my doctor since I couldn't stand the spreading hives all over my body. Turns out I have PUPPPs and it seems there's no real cure/relief in sight! I'm starting Prednisone (thank goodness I'm not breastfeeding...) and taking Aveeno oatmeal baths every chance I get, but no one can tell me when this horrid itching will stop or when the rash will go away. I just read a bunch of stories and I want to cry - it can last up to a year! ONE YEAR! I will be scarred for life! All I can say is at least it's not on my neck and face...

JMarie