PDA

View Full Version : Advice on first solo outing w/ newborn

bnme
02-06-2003, 10:11 AM
I have yet to make a solo outing with my 4wk old son (5 wks on Friday). The only time he has left the house was for trips to the doctor, and that was me and DH. This weekend we are taking him to my parents house.

I have been hesitant to go out with him becuase of the extreme cold weather we have been having in NY and also my Dr had reccommended I not drive for 4 weeks (C Section). Now I have cabin fever big time!! Any suggestions for a first outing? My DH thinks its too soon, but I think he is crazy!

Its not too early to take him out yet, is it? (Assuming, of course it is not 2 degrees!). I would kill just to go food shopping (tired of having people pick things up for me) or to BRU or to the mall (could use some cloths since I am still not fitting into my pre-pregnancy stuff!). I can always have my Mom babysit and go solo or with a friend-which I should do anyway -but I also need to learn how to travel around with him.

Any thoughts appreciated! TIA

sweetbasil
02-06-2003, 10:35 AM
My doctor told me no driving for 6 weeks after my c-section, so my mom drove us on our first big outing at about 4 weeks...we went to a mall and I brought along DS's travel combo stroller. That helped me learn that he loved the bump-bump of the floor tiles in the mall, and they actually put him to sleep. Everybody wanted to see him, touch him, etc. so we pulled the canopies of his infant carrier and stroller together where he still got air but I could see him in the little stroller window vinyl thing and could know if he was sleeping. When it was nursing time, I wasn't quite comfortable doing it in public yet, so we headed to the car.

It was great for everybody's mental well-being that we got out that day. DS didn't get sick, and I was exhausted afterwards, but it was a great way to test the waters and have a change of scenery.

Have fun! :)

Rachels
02-06-2003, 11:23 AM
GO! You'll do fine. Take your stroller and take it easy, and you'll do fine. BRU or the mall are great choices because they have lots of places to sit and rest if you need to. FWIW, I never use the nursing rooms at BRU-- I always just mosey over to their glider section and nurse there! Take diapers, a blanket, and some water for yourself.

As for the too soon part, I didn't have a c-section, so I can't advise you on the recovery part. You know your body, though, so just trust what you feel you're up to. But the baby will be just fine. Abigail and I started going places when she was two weeks old. She hated her carseat, but liked getting out and staring at things. Now she gets a little stir crazy herself if we're in the house for too long.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
02-06-2003, 11:36 AM
Oh my goodness!!!! SIX WEEKS! My doctor said TWO after my Csection and I cheated and drove at 10 days!!!! LOL!!! :) That's WAY worse than no sex for 6 weeks!!! :)

Go! Get out of the house! I think I would have gone totally bonkers by now. Like Rachel said though, take it easy. A mall is a great place to go. They have lots of chairs everywhere and lots of places to eat. :) When you go out, just make sure to cover up the infant seat with a thick blanket to walk from the car to the door and you'll be fine. Just take it slow and show off your baby. :)

twins r fun
02-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Wow! I can't believe you've made it as long as you have. You'll definitely need to learn how to travel with him and the best way is to just go do it. If you have to turn around and go home after 10 minutes in the store, nothing is lost. I'm sure he'll enjoy the movement and change of scenery and be a good boy for you anyway!

My doctor also told be 2 weeks for driving. I drove after 1 week, but not very far-just to the hospital really. It was kind of hard to quickly move my foot from gas to break that early!

Nicole

flagger
02-06-2003, 01:52 PM
I don't think it is too early to take him out. If he wasn't premature and has adequate baby fat, dress him as warmly as you would yourself. Do you have days where it isn't so blisteringly cold and the sun is out? Even a walk around the block or the end of the street can do you both wonders. It is pretty amazing how healing the sun can be when it shows up.

Babies seem to like consistency of temps but can handle a dash from the warm house to the warm car to the warm grocery store. Have fun. A happy refreshed mommy is infectious!!!

cara1
02-06-2003, 02:28 PM
BRU is/was my favorite place to take DS because of their "mother's room" Also, anything w/ a ressing room is pretty good.

bnme
02-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Wow! I didn't think it had been THAT long! My doctor advises against driving for 4 weeks due to the impact having to make sudden movements may have on the incisions. He also advised against vacuming for just as long, so I was happy to follow his advice. Personally after about 3 wks I would have felt comfortable, but figured I'd wait the addt'l week. For the record, I have been out several times w/o DS, for my Dr appts, one shopping trip, and a baby shower so I am not that stir crazy.

The weather has been bad until recently (and I don't recall the first week ot two : ) ), though there were nicer days here and there (and I hate winter). Not AWFUL, but bad enough that it seemed unnesc to take him out, especially since I was advised not to drive anyway. So long as it's not freezing/windy the weather alone won't hold me back.

I will probably venture out solo next week. I'll let you know how it goes
:)