PDA

View Full Version : Baby Book?

stillplayswithbarbies
02-07-2003, 03:00 PM
I didn't know what category to put this in . . .

Where did you all get a baby book, you know the book you write all the stuff about first words, first steps, etc.? We were at a Baby Care Basics class the other night and the nurse mentioned that we could bring our baby books in and they would put the foot prints right into it when they footprint the baby, and I realized we don't have one.

Should I go to a bookstore? Baby store? Hallmark cards? Who has the best selection? What do you like or not like about your baby books?

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Logan Bartholomew, EDD March 21

bnme
02-07-2003, 03:20 PM
L LOVE my Winnie the Pooh Baby Book, but I have no idea where to buy it or others. I got it as a shower gift. I love that it has a lot of family history stuff(tree, how parents met, grandparents page), info for current events at time of birth, and pregnancy and birth memories pages.

ismommy
02-07-2003, 03:24 PM
I didnt go with a trdaitional baby book. I bought a really nice baby album/scrapbook at a local boutiquey store. I am a photographer so took pictures of Isbella every week and wrote what she did that week. I loved that I wasnt just bound into writing the important first but ahd space to write what cool little things she did as well as important events in our life. Everyone who has seen it thinks it wonderful to have a visual and written record of her first year. I highly recomend taking pix if not every week every month.

Helene
mommy to Isabella 9/19/01

Roleysmom
02-07-2003, 03:32 PM
I was really picky about the kind of baby book I wanted. I was looking for one that was cute, but not too cutesy, had enough space for me to write down thoughts, feelings, etc. but wasn't so open that it was more like a journal. (I need structure! When faced with too many blank pages, I'm less likely to write my thoughts down. That said, it is nice to keep a journal of the baby's first year in addition to filling out the baby book. Of course,I write in the journal a lot less than I would like but the baby book is pretty much up-to-date!)

I found baby books everywhere -- nice paper stores, baby shopes and boutiquey gift shops -- but couldn't find one that met my specifications. (It was the kind of thing where I would know it when I saw it.) My SIL finally found the perfect one for me at BRU. Ours is by Carter's and called A Baby's World. I like it a lot and get a kick opening it up to document some new event.

By the way, our hospital did the same thing -- encourage us to bring in our book (or, the midwife said, even t-shirts, etc.) to print the footprint on. (They also had little cardboard sheets that they put the prints on too, so you could include it in the book later if you didn't have one on hand. Maybe your's does that too?)

Hope this helps,

Paula
--mom to Roley Julia 1/4/02

August Mom
02-07-2003, 04:21 PM
We got our Precious Moments baby book at Hallmark. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have room for enough photos and it asks some questions I don't know the answers too. (If anyone can describe the top fashions/clothing styles on August 14, 2002, please let me know :)) I also have a calendar with stickers to document various milestones. I really like this. It doesn't have great visual appeal, but it is easy to put the sticker on the appropriate date and then transfer the information to the baby book when you have time. I have also seen nice baby books at BRU and in the baby sections of department stores.

peanut4us
02-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Oddly enough, we found a great one at Sam's Club. It's a classic winnie the pooh, but it came with the baby book and a photo album all in one for $9.00.

I need structure and it's got. Lots of prompts for things to add and it is designed to last until your kid is 5. At first, i thought it would be too small, but i got to thinking realistically, if I fill in everything they have set up, the kid will have an awesome book for later. Too much more, and I know I won't do it.

Speaking of which, I need to go look at it and see if I need to write anything in it yet!

Joey
EDD 4/6/03

Mama Mae
02-07-2003, 05:33 PM
If you're up for shopping around a little bit, I'd recommend checking out bookstores like Barnes & Noble or Borders for large selection in addition to larger baby stores like BabiesRUs or Baby Depot. Online I'd recommend Powells.com.
I just happened across mine at a Barnes & Noble when I was holiday shopping. Purchasing a baby book hadn't crossed my mind yet.
There are so many to choose from that you shouldn't have any trouble finding one that suits your fancy.

~ Mama Mae

StaceyKim
02-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Depending on what you want to spend....
I saw ones at:
Barnes & Nobles (inexpensive)
Borders
Neiman Marcus (really nice and more expensive but worth it!)here is the link http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod01057&parentId=cat000720
Info about the
Neiman Marcus Baby Books

With this detailed baby book, no milestone will be left unrecorded. A lasting gift for an expectant mother. Each book is satin-covered in pink (with a white cotton dress for a baby girl) or blue (with a white cotton suit for a baby boy). Includes these fill-in pages:
• Your Family
• Family History
• Waiting for You
• Baby Showers
• The Day You Were Born
• Naming You
• The World Around You
• Your Homecoming
• Welcoming You
• Gifts For You
• Doctor Visits
• Immunizations & Shots
• Growth Chart
• Dental Record
• Your Memorable Moments
• Your Favorites
• Your Personality
• Your New Experiences
• Celebrating Holidays
• More Celebrations
• Celebrating Birthdays
• More Birthdays
• Caring for You
• School Days
• First Grade
• Your Religious Education
• Letter From Mother
• Letter From Father
• "Only a Baby Small," by Matthias Barr
• Seven full front-and-back blank pages
• Three clear plastic inserts to hold loose items or cards
Made in USA. 11 1/2"L x 10"W x 2"D.

I think I am going to get this because I like keeping all this information and it's fun for your kids to look at this later in life! I still like looking at mine.

I hope that helps.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone! This Neiman Marcus one sounds good, but I dob;t know whether I am having a boy or a girl and I want to get the book before the baby is here. The Pooh one sounds good too since I too need structure. I never even wrote once in my Pregnancy Journal!
All that blank space staring at me . . .

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Logan Bartholomew, EDD March 21

memedee
02-09-2003, 05:48 PM
http://www.nurseryroom.com/shop/catalogue/catalogue_detail.asp?catID=47&scrollStyle=10171001&stylenumber=10171001&scroller=1&DetailImage=
This one from Ann Geddes is cute and appears to be unisex.