PDA

View Full Version : How did you tell your DH/SO you were pregnant again?

TLC1994
02-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Just curious and looking for some "creative" ideas. My husband was with me at the doctor's office when we found out about our daughter. But now I think I may be pregnant again, although I can't take the test for a few more days, but I have a funny feeling about this. I haven't mentioned anything to him about it, though.

So, I'm just getting some ideas in mind for when I break the news to him.

Thanks!

August Mom
02-07-2003, 06:21 PM
I always imagined that I would tell DH I was pregnant over dessert after a nice meal prepared by me where all the foods were baby-size or smaller versions of something. For instance, mini quiches, shrimp, cornish hens, veal, baby corn, pearl onions, baby carrots, petit fours, mini cupcakes, individual tarts - you get the idea. Unfortunately, I didn't get to implement the plan because we found out we were expecting over Thanksgiving with DH's family and I wanted to tell the entire family in person. But, maybe if there's a #2...

mama2be
02-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Tammy and I were just discussing this :)...

With my first pregnancy (unfortuantly miscarried): I was as shocked as can be that I was pregnant. We were not trying, and I literally almost "chimmy chung gah'd" infront of my boss and a client over lunch. I went straight to the doctors office after dropping off the client sure to find out I had a brain tumor in it's final stages... Well...I was pregnant. I drove from store to store looking for a sterling silver baby rattle, found one that was a bit modern for my taste but grabbed it happily. We have a very posh "inn" The Fairington House about an hour away and I begged them to squeeze me in for dinner with Steve that night. STeve didn't know (definitly didn't know) why in the world I wanted to go to such a posh place during the week, I convinced him that it was becasue we were refinancing from 30 to 15 years and had gotten approved-which we hadn't YET!!!

I gave the rattle to the maitre d' to put on Steve's dessert plate...well we enjoyed a fabulous 5 course meal and when Steve's Chocolate Mouse arrived the waiter said, "it appears something extra is on your plate"...well bless Steve's heart he saw the raspberry puree "quirly que" decoration that did resemble an "S" and said..."S for STEVE"...I almost died....I guess a few seconds went by and he picked up the rattle (which didn't look traditional) and said "what's this"...I swear I thought he was going to dip it in the mouse and lick the mouse off of it thinking it was a Victorian serving piece (you know they had one for everything back then). BUT all of a sudden I guess he noticed the blue and pink ribbon and said "are you pregnant"??? Oh it was incredible...everyone noticed!!!!

This time is was Fathers Day when I found out...he was on the golf course playing 9 holes when I pee'd on the stick...it came back positive and I had bought pacifiers and bandanas for all of the dogs. It ied the bandanas aroundt he dogs necks and then pinned the pacifiers to the bandanas. Steve didn't notice and the pups (3 of them) paraded around like there was no tomorrow. Well when Steve's golf buddies who were playing 18 holes came around the back yard (we're on the 13th fairway) he went out to gret them with a beer and the pups followed...it took one of his friends to say, "why is your dog wearing a pacifer" for it to get noticed :):):)

Sorry so long...but sure was fun to rethink about it :)...

nigele
02-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Well, I had planned my announcement for years but on the day I took the test, DH saw me doing it. What I had planned was to put a single honey bun in the oven and trick my husband to look inside. I had hoped he would then say "there's a bun in the oven."

Good luck with your test!

mama2be
02-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Lisa, That's a hoot...my hubby would have just eaten it...he would have looked around to see if I was going to claim it, and if I wasn't around he'd have eaten it and blamed it on the dogs :)...he'd be afraid if he acknowledged it I would claim it :)...

nigele
02-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Neve -

You'd better keep an eye on Tristan - I'm sure he will be scrumptious!! :-)

kathsmom
02-07-2003, 10:53 PM
When I found out about DD, DH knew what was going on, because I was so frustrated with the OB's office. I took a pregnancy test at home and it came back positive, but the nurse who did the pregnancy test at the office said that I was not pregnant and to come back in 2 weeks if I was still late. I kept taking home pregnancy tests for the next 2 weeks and the color kept coming back, more vibrant each time. When I went back to the OB's, they said that I was pregnant. I called DH while he was on a sales call and told him we were having a baby. He told his customer that I was having a baby, and they thought I was in labor and that DH was pretty heartless to stay at a sales call when I needed him. He corrected them and said that the baby was not due for another 7 months!

For DS, we had been trying for about 1 1/2 years to conceive. I was feeling achy and not well at all, so I thought it was the flu. I thought I would take a pregnancy test just to make sure. I really thought it would come back negative - much to my surprise it came back positive. It was about 1 week before DH's birthday. He was in his office typing a report on his computer for work. I asked him if he would like an early birthday present. He barely looked up and said "OK". I handed him the stick and said that according the test I was pregnant. His jaw dropped in astonishment. He then smiled and gave me a big hug.

None of these is all that creative, but they were special moments all the same.

Good luck!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

twins r fun
02-07-2003, 11:37 PM
DH and I found out I was pregnant at the same time by looking at the stick so that's not very creative! But he couldn't be with me on the sonogram where I found out the genders so I bought 2 of those small lovies (blanket/animal things) both in blue and wrapped them in separate boxes. I put a tag on them saying "Baby:A/B, Hi Daddy, I'm a ..." Then he had to open the box to find out the gender. The little bears are now Jacob and Caleb's cherished lovies and I think it will be neat to tell them the story of where the bears came from! Not exactly what you asked, but you could adapt it!

Nicole

MartiesMom2B
02-08-2003, 01:48 PM
I too had grand dreams of thinking of cool ways to tell my hubby. However the reality was that I made him drive to CVS and we picked up 3 pregnancy tests. After the positive result came I yelled at him to look at then. Then we spent the next half an hour try to determine if the blue line was dark enough to be a positive test and trying to figure out which line was the control. I then proceeded to take the other 2 tests over the next 2 days just to be sure that I was. It really wasn't a reality for us until we had the songogram and they pointed out her heartbeat.

Hmmm, as others have said, there is always a next time.

Good luck telling your DH the news.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

Rachels
02-08-2003, 02:23 PM
So are you pregnant???? :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

StaceyKim
02-08-2003, 06:40 PM
Mine was pretty easy to do. I took the test on his birthday (purely coincidental) and it was positive! He said he didn't want anything for his birthday and it is so difficult to buy him anything because he says he doesn't want a gift, etc. etc. So, I went out and bought cute little baby socks and a baby book (What to Expect When you are Expecting) and wrapped it like it was his birthday present. I had a cake with candles too.
He was definitely surprised!

atlbaby
02-08-2003, 10:25 PM
That's so funny! With Arielle we took the test on his birthday too (coincidentally as well)! :)

I was late, and had actually taken a test that came back negative a week or so earlier. So I just chalked my missed period up to stress or not eating well. But we that night we went out to celebrate and the whole time I kept seeing these signs (we parked next to a maternity shop, I misread a billboard as saying 'baby' in bold letters) and when we got home I for some strange reason said 'I have to take another test'. It was positive, but I didn't believe it so I sent DH out at midnight to buy another one. It was such a great--shocking!--way to celebrate his birthday! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

COElizabeth
02-08-2003, 11:09 PM
DH dislikes board games but loves mountain sports - hiking, telemark skiing, etc. I bought him the Mountaineering Edition of Monopoly and gave it to him the day I took the test. The game said for ages 8 and up. When DH opened it, I told him that I loved playing Monopoly with my dad when I was a kid and that I wanted our kids to play with their dad, too. I said I knew he didn't like board games but that I thought he might like the mountaineering version better - and added, "You have 8 years and 9 months to figure it out!"

He got it right away but paused for a moment to think if I could possibly mean anything else before asking, "Are you pregnant?"

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

dd_ani
02-09-2003, 07:26 PM
In our case, Dh actually told me, since he was the one who got the phone call from the doctor's office! :)

Michelle

atlbaby
02-09-2003, 08:20 PM
That's so funny--he must have enjoyed sharing that news with you! :)

All of these stories are great--I've so enjoyed reading everyone's!

-Rachel

darebear
02-10-2003, 01:29 AM
We found out about our first together, we were in the ER because they thought I had appendicitis and were about to do a CT scan, but they decided to do a pregnancy test first(since we had been TTC), they came back about an hour later with the suprising news. We are now TTC with #2 and last week when DH was away on business, I had to go to the ER with horrible stomach pains which they thought was kidney stones, but turned out the be appendicitis which required immediate surgery. I called DH with the news at 5 am, 2 am where he was, to tell he to come home and explained the situation. He immediately did not believe me and thought that I was pregnant again and joking with him. I had to get the surgeon on the phone to finally convince him that I was being wheeled into surgery after we hung up.

Allison

TLC1994
02-11-2003, 02:40 PM
Well, it must have been a false alarm - the pregnancy test came back negative. :-( But I still have some of the same symptoms I had when I was pregnant with my 1st, so who knows, maybe I tested too early??

FYI - Consumer Reports rates pregnancy tests in this month's current issue and online. It's an interesting article. According to the article, many women get a negative result when they test on the 1st day of their missed period even when they are pregnant. Sometimes the hCG hormone doesn't appear until about a week later. So maybe I'll test in another week if I still feel the same way.

Thanks for all the great stories, though! They were fun to read.

atlbaby
02-11-2003, 08:39 PM
Well, this is just one testamonial but I tested negative the first time when I was pregnant with Arielle, and that was 2 days after I missed my period. Then I tested 2 weeks later and it was positive...so I would definitely not rule it out, especially if you are experiencing some symptoms!

Good Luck! :)

-Rachel

Thatchermom
03-01-2003, 09:51 PM
After finding out in the morning that I was pregnant, I spent the day working on my gift to DH to tell him. I got an empty shadowbox from Ikea and filled it with a rattle, a book for new dads, the teeniest red hitops I could find with stuffed "I love Daddy" socks stuck in them, and a pregnancy count-down clock set for my guessed due-date. I took him to dinner that night and gave it to him wrapped up...it seemed like the longest dinner we've ever eaten! I'll never forget the moments between opening it and his realization - they were priceless. It was what he carried around to tell coworkers and friends, and still sits on his dresser as a cherished keepsake. He even insisted on taking the countdown clock with us on our vacation and took pictures of it just before we left for the hospital - DS was born right on his due date and the clock was flashing all 0000's!

himom
03-02-2003, 04:42 AM
I was in the process of switching birth controls so I figured all my weird symptoms were caused by the switch. So I was almost 9 weeks along when I really started to suspect I was pregnant.

I was on a business trip on the island of Kauai when the pregnancy symptoms really, really started to get my attention. I wanted to take a test but I didn't want to find out I was pregnant on another island without DH there. I knew if it was positive I would want to be with him and I really didn't want to have to tell him over the phone. Fortunately, we had previously decided to cap off my trip with a little "mini-honeymoon" and he was supposed to fly over and join me at the end of the week. I decided to take a test when he arrived, then I went out and bought a pair of booties just in case.

As soon as he got off the plane I suggested we hit the drugstore, using the excuse that he needed a razor. I snuck a test in with the rest of our purchases, and as soon as we checked into our hotel room I headed for the bathroom. It was so weird...it turned pink immediately so I stood in the little hotel bathroom and stared at it for about 15 minutes, wondering if the line was going to disappear and trying to grasp the whole "I'm pregnant" concept.

When I finally got myself together I grabbed the test, pulled the booties out of my suitcase, and announced that I had a present for him. Then I handed him the booties. When he didn't believe me, I handed him the test.

It was so much fun!

Mommy to Joshua Keoni, 2/8/03
Mommy to Joshua Keoni, 2/8/03

SASM
03-03-2003, 04:47 PM
This is definitely NOT the romantic way that I thought I would do it. For our first pregnancy (unfortunately miscarried), I taped the positive pregnancy test sticks all over the mirrors in the bathroom. After "preparing to concieve" for over a year and TTC for over 7 months I had been all too tired of looking at negative test strips month after month. When the day finally came that I had a positive one (well, more like FIVE!) I couldn't believe it!! My DH & I were working opposite shifts that day so I just taped the positive test strips to the mirrors, wrote a huge note on the mirror in lip liner (the only thing that I could think of), left the light on so he would at least go in there to turn the light off, and then I left for work. I came home and he was not acting any differently. I noticed that the bathroom light was still on. I asked him if he went in the bathroom at all. He looked at me as if I was from another planet and said "No." I asked him if he'd please turn off the light. He went in and could not believe what he saw - forget the fact that there were pee sticks all over the bathroom! He asked me four times (couldn't believe it) "What does this mean??" He finally got a clue and his face lit up brighter than I'd ever thought possible. :-)

The second pregnancy (Ian) I really had a bad month - thought once again that I was not pregnant due to cramping. I REALLY wanted DH to make me a margarita. He kept asking if I was pregnant and I was getting mad saying - "NO...NO...NO...Now make me a margarita!! I have had a horrible month...Please make me a margarita." He said only if you'll take a pregnancy test. I obligued and, low and behold, I had a slightly positive pregnancy test!! So, in a way, my DH told me that I was pregnant!! :-)

Good luck and sorry the stories are not more romantic... Telling my relatives about the first pregnancy was more story-worthy. I sent them all a card that was a picture of a wrapped gift - they opened the card to "Congratulations, Grandma & Grandpa! Love Baby-to-be" Or something along those lines. :-)

loewymartin
03-04-2003, 02:50 PM
We had been getting ready to conceive for a few months, but hadn't actually "planned" anything. Well, I thought I was getting symptoms of being fertile, so I took an ovulation test. I waited the required time, came back in and it was positive. I threw it out and walked about 4 steps out of the bathroom before I realized it was a pregnany test that I had just taken - not an ovulation test!!! It took me about 10 minutes of staring at the stick to come back to reality. I didn't say a word to anyone. I got up the next morning and took another pregnancy test. Still positive - so I made an appointment with the doctor for the next day. I woke up, took another test (also positive - now it's starting to sink in!) and went to my appointment. When she told me I was expecting, then I knew it was for real!

I then shopped all over for the Lamaze Rolly Poly Cow for Ken. He loves cows. I was planning on giving it to him that night after dinner, but we had friends stop by, so it didn't work out. Once our friends left, he asked me if when we could start trying. I laughed, and said we didn't have to any more! The look of confusion, joy and fear come across his face was priceless :-) He was shocked, and even more so when I said I had found out 2 days earlier!!

The fun part was telling my parents. We invited everyone to Thanksgiving. Ken gave a toast, which explained how Thanksgiving came to be a tradition, and at the end said that he was sure we would have enough food, but to save some extra for me as I was eating for two. Boy did my mom scream :-)

Michelle - Mom to Alia Jailin born 5/16/02