PDA

View Full Version : Protection for MY mattress?

kfcboston
02-07-2003, 10:38 PM
I know I've seen something about this in a past post but can't find it. Can anyone make any suggestions on how to protect my mattress from the possibility of my water breaking in bed? I've heard that can ruin a mattress. Thanks!

Katie
EDD w/ #1 -- 3/7/03!!

loewymartin
02-07-2003, 10:41 PM
I just put one of the "Ultimate Crib Sheets" underneath my sheet. It worked like a charm :-) My water broke at about 2am, so I was in bed, and the Ultimate Crib Sheet absorbed it all. I washed it and the sheet and things were fine. I then used it on Alia's crib until she got big enough to unsnap it (around 4 months).

Michelle - Mom to Alia Jailin born 5/16/02

VickiH
02-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Hi Katie -
I just used 2 of the waterproof crib pads that I bought for the baby. Thankfully, my water never broke in bed. I also heard of women using plastic coated tablecloths. If you have a target nearby I've seen waterproof mattress covers, but they seemed a little pricey to use for that purpose.

HTH
Vicki
Mommy to Michael 10/2/02

egoldber
02-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Well, this did happen to me. I have always used a regular mattress pad on my bed and that's all I had on the bed when it happened to me. My mattress is fine.

FYI, I remember them showing us a video of a woman's water breaking in my childbirth class. It was like Niagara Falls! But for me, and most people I have talked to whose water broke at home, it was more like a long slow leak than a gush.

HTH,

StaceyKim
02-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi Katie,
I recently bought a new mattress and definitely don't want to ruin it so I bought a waterproof mattress pad at the Company Store. They are on sale now too!
http://www.thecompanystore.com/
Stacey
EDD w/ #1 4/11/03:)

schums
02-09-2003, 01:20 PM
You can get mattress protectors at JC Penny's (or through their catalog) for about $20. I had one on my bed in case my water broke, and then kept it there for the post-partum mess fest. It did keep my matress from being stained a couple of times everything leaked and soaked through the sheet and matress pad.

Worth every penny to me . . .

Sarah

gravymommy3
02-15-2003, 07:31 PM
My kids sleep with me so I have a vinyl-like cover that encases the entire mattress. However, my water never broke in bed (induced on first two and the third one the water broke on the kitchen floor, where she was born one minute later!)

Good luck to you.

Amy

kfcboston
02-15-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! I've gone ahead and placed one of the waterproof mattress pads for the crib under the sheet on my side of the bed. Now we will see!

Katie
EDD w/ #1 -- 3/7/03!!

parkersmama
02-16-2003, 11:33 AM
Wow! I'm glad you brought this up because it's something for me to consider. With my first son I was lying on top of the covers (fully clothed...just resting) when my water broke. It was such a little trickle that I wasn't even sure what it was. With my second son I was picking up Parker from the babysitters and stood up from her fireplace hearth to leave and GUSH! my water broke but my clothes absorbed it pretty much (there wasn't any on the floor or anything). She gave me towels and I drove home and then to the hospital but it pretty much kept up the flood until he was born (about 20 hours later!!). Although they say that only about 10% of women have their water break at the start of labor, I figure 2 times is a pretty good indicator that that is how it will start again for me. I think I'd better get some mattress protection!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003