PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with PUPPPs?

JMarie
02-08-2003, 01:23 AM
I just went to the doctor about these itchy hives and it turns out to be PUPPPs. Just on a whim I looked it up on Yahoo and the first website had all these horror stories about how nothing worked to relieve the itching and these women have scars and it lasted for eight months. Now, I understand this happens for the most part in first pregnancies in the last trimester, usually the last month, but in my case it came about AFTER Aidan was born. I have found some relief in Caladryl and Benadryl gels combined - I'm not very itchy right now - but I'm really hoping someone else has suffered through this and can tell me I'll come through relatively unscathed. I start a course of Prednisone in the morning, which I am praying will help. As of right now, I keep thinking I'll just be scratching my skin off until Aidan turns one! Please help...

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

mama2be
02-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Jennifer,

Someone on these boards has had PUPPS...I know this becasue when I mentioned my itching she came forward and mentioned PUPPS and also someone mentioned an itching condition called OC (Obstetric Cholystasis)...

They checked me for OC since that scared me after reading about it...and we never tested for the PUPPS...and I have to wonder if that could be what I have. I too itched out of my skin it has gotten better but at times I still itch. i started to conclude it was Vit C and never quetioned it again.

Go look for my post in the "lounge" and see who that was...if you can't find it let me know I'll look too...:)...I'm in the middle of reviewing photos or I'd do it right now :)...

Keep us posted!!! I wish I knew more to tell you, but do know someone had it amoungst us...

twins r fun
02-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Remember this thread? Someone in there had it-Trumansmom (I just checked) and said feel free to email her.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=338&forum=DCForumID30

Kate888
02-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Glad you found some relief with the meds. Don't worry too much. Although your doctor said you have PUPPPS, I still think you're suffering similar condition as me. My OB originally thought I had PUPPPS, because I started developing it at the last month of pregnancy (actually all of the three doctors in her office thought that was it). They also told me that I should see significant improvement after the delivery (if it was PUPPPS). When things got worse after the baby was born, my OB was very surprised and finally referred me to the dermatologist. Since you're not BF or pregnant :), you have much more treatment options. In my case, the itch calmed down after a month or two and gradually improved. I believe after your body adjusted to the changes after the delivery, you will feel better, too.

Good luck!

Kate

Rachels
02-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Here's a great link-- hope it helps!

http://pregnancy.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tcinternet.net%2 Fusers%2Fkritzerburke%2Fnaomi%2FPUPPP.htm

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

JMarie
02-10-2003, 12:25 AM
OMG - that's the same website TrumansMom emailed me and it cracked me up! She really hits the nail on the head - this does bite, blow, and just about every other negative descriptor known to man. I have checked out the pictures on some of the websites and I am certain that what I have is PUPPPs - my rash is identical to the photos. I am starting to feel a LITTLE better - hopefully the Prednisone is working. I also started taking flax seed oil capsules (they are just HUGE!) and eating yogurt at every meal, since some websites seem to claim they'll help. I'm still covered in the gel mix as well, which starts to peel off like when you're sunburned and makes a mess on the sheets at night. Honestly, I'll try just about anything - last night I was just about willing to have my legs amputated to stop the itching. I am not kidding in the least - no one should ever have to go through this. I know it's not deadly and there's no real harm to the body going through it, but while it's happening it's pure torture. My heart goes out to those women who have to suffer most of their pregnancy with this - I am thankful it has only lasted two weeks so far. I just hope it ends soon. Thanks for all your support - it means so much.

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

trumansmom
02-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Hi folks! Even though I've been emailing with JMarie, I just wanted to offer up a sympathetic ear for anyone else going through this. It was by far the most unpleasant part of being pregnant for me. And trust me, I was a whiny pregnant lady!!

Good luck!
Jeanne

Mom to Truman 11/29/01
EDD 10/10/03