PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have relief to what might be sciatic nerve pain?

etwahl
02-09-2003, 02:05 AM
I'm actually not sure what is the problem, but just know that for the past 48 hours, I'm having severe pain in my left hip area (upper derriere area). It's actually been pretty debilitating, as I can barely walk, move, change positions, etc. I've been mostly housebound for the past two days because of it, and am really having difficulties. I'm assuming that this is one of those things I have to deal with during pregnancy so haven't called my midwife, but was wondering if others had experienced this to this level, and if there was anything that helped at all. I'm very frustrated because I am still 4 weeks away from my due date and just worried that I am out of commission for a while, which I can't deal with.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

DDowning
02-09-2003, 10:13 AM
I have pain alot too in my back and down my legs. I'm able to move around after taking a few steps and working the kinks out. One thing that helps me is warm (not hot!) baths. If you are immobile, then I think its worthwhile to call your Midwife for advice - I hope you feel better soon.

Momof3Labs
02-09-2003, 10:22 AM
My chiropractor was able to provide relief for me - if you have one, call and ask if they can help!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

Rachels
02-09-2003, 10:31 AM
I agree-- see a chiropractor! That REALLY helped that end-of-pregnancy pain for me. Also, if you've got something out of place in your lower spine, it's not going to help you labor effectively, so it's worth putting things where they go before the baby shows up! In the meantime, moist heat might feel good.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

brubeck
02-09-2003, 11:59 AM
I had aches and pains like this in my recent pregnancy too. You can use Bengay or some other similar topical ointment, and the Thermacare heat packs, as long as they don't get near your abdomen. Of course, you should probably okay this with your OB first, but mine had no problem at all with these treatments.

flagger
02-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Are you sleeping with a pillow or two between your legs? Ms. Flagger was having the same problem and reported it at her 24 week check up (two Fridays ago). Her OB suggested that, and it has made all the difference in the world.

egoldber
02-09-2003, 03:18 PM
I found that the body pillow that Flagger suggested to be very helpful myself. Also, a heating pad really helped too.

HTH,

nohomama
02-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Tammy,

What's the quality of the pain? Is it shooting/stabbing pain that travels down the back of your leg? Are you experiencing any altered sensation, e.g. numbness and tingling? These are all things that would indicate sciatica which is not uncommon during pregnancy (especially late in pregnancy).

Sciatica can be caused by a structural misalignment of the spine or by muscle tension, among other things. The sciatic nerve runs through a muscle called the piriformis that runs deep to the more superficial gluteals. If this muscle is tight, it basically strangulates the nerve, causing severe discomfort.

If you have a chiropractor, I'd definately make an appointment with him/her. They can address any structural problems with an adjustment and muscular problems with things like untrasound or massage. Things you can do for yourself include gentle self massage and/or the application of heat and cold (try both). If there's any inflamation around the joint or in the muscle, cold will help. Moist heat, either a bath or a damp hot towel over your gluts and hip, can soothe tight aching muscles. And if you begin to feel worse, CALL YOUR MIDWIFE!

HTH,

etwahl
02-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately I've been sleeping with these pillows throughout the pregnancy and nothing helps.

I thought that heating pads were a no-no?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

etwahl
02-09-2003, 03:36 PM
I actually think it might be two problems. I do have the shooting/stabbing pain occasionally, but this new pain is hard to explain. Basically if I'm just sitting still in an appropriate position I don't feel it, but the second I try to move, it's excruciating. I'm not even sure how to explain it, but it hasn't gone away in three days now - it's constant whenever I move, shift, walk, etc. In fact, walking is nearly impossible, which is why I'm staying at home. I will call the midwife tomorrow to see if they can suggest a chiropractor or something else.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

newbelly2002
02-09-2003, 05:09 PM
That sounds terrible.

I had sciatic nerve pain in the last month or so of the pregnancy and it made me miserable. I had been taking a yoga classs and had to stop because the pain got so bad. Eventually the baby turned and the pressure released. Yours sound like something different.

Call you midwife; I'll be thinking of you. (and maybe a warm bath? You're still in the safe zone, I think)

Paula

brubeck
02-09-2003, 06:58 PM
My oB said anything electrical was a no-no but the chemical pads (like Thermacare) or a wet washcloth heated in the microwave, hot water bottle, etc. was okay as long as it wasn't on the abdomen.

etwahl
02-09-2003, 08:52 PM
I just called the midwife on duty and she basically said there's nothing I can do. She said the baby's just pressing on a nerve and unfortunately I could be stuck this way until the baby gets here. Not what I wanted to hear, but definitely what I expected anyway. She said a chiropractor may help me, but not covered under Tricare. And there's no guarantee that it would help anyway.

As for baths, I am not a bath person, but the problem is I'd have to clean the tub (which I definitely can't do) and then I'd be worried about getting in and out of it myself without falling. So I think I'm stuck with showers.

I definitely wouldn't be quite as bummed about this if Dh were here to help out, but this just ruins everything!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Momof3Labs
02-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Tammy,

You might want to look into a chiropractor anyway - ours only charges $50 per visit (wanna make a trip to Illinois??), and it would probably only take one visit to fix you up, if that's the problem. It might be worth the small price to feel better for the next few weeks!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

Rachels
02-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Mine is $30!!! You DON'T have to suffer! Let a chiropractor help you. I'll ask mine if he knows anybody. Palmer College has a great referral network.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
02-10-2003, 12:08 AM
I also would be interested in what others have to say...but my chiropractor sent me thru an obsticle corse of a "routine" when I went to see him...I finally got the guts to cut out what I didn't think I needed. I based my decision on nothing but the fact that I didn't think it was doing something. So would love to hear what others think. I mention this becaseu if you find one and they do the same thing you might beable to streamline the treatment and thus pay less. Also some give free "first consults"...

Mine had me lay on a table tummy down and a tech fastened some little electric pads onto my back (maybe like a TENS unit) and it sent some shocks to the sights that contracted my muscles. Then I went in for my alignment and then I got on a massage table back down that when turned on is like a wave machine and gives a wave roller effect on my back. I don't know if that does anything BUT I loved that!!!!

I pay 10% so the wave thing only cost me a $1 a visit.
The alignment must be $45 because I pay $4.50 for that
the electric thing must have been $30 becaseu I paied $3

For those that go to the chiropractor a lot what are your recommendations as to what we "really need". I think a lot of folks feel like they sell us stuff and convince us to keep coming back. though I do think mine has helped me...

egoldber
02-10-2003, 12:29 AM
If you don't apply it to your abdomen, why is it a no-no? I guess I never heard this. And where I was applying the heating pad was NOWHERE near the baby, LOL. :)

But seriously, I would have not been able to sleep many, many nights without the heating pad. Sometimes I wonder about all this medical advice and their theoretical risks. I am now reading "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" and it is making me re-think a lot of things I was told. (Although I would still want my epidural :) )

HTH,

etwahl
02-10-2003, 12:32 AM
I remember being told a couple times not to use a heating pad because of the electromagnetic field. I agree though, it is frustrating because some people say one thing and some say another.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

natividad
02-10-2003, 04:33 AM
I had sciatic pain in my second trimester. Mine hit me worse when I would get out of bed, but what I found useful was to just keep on moving (although it can be tough, I know), and using a heating pad. I have not experience sciatic pain in my third trimester, although this time I am having other types of discomforts (sigh). Good luck and hope you feel better.

Naty (March 03)

gour0
02-10-2003, 09:20 AM
Neve, I haven't gone, but dh had terrible back pain and finally went as a last resort. He decided to follow the dr's advice completely and it is really helping. The three times a week thing is only for the first month or so and then he tapers it off. He said it was because of muscle memory. If he is telling the truth, dh will be done and completely corrected in a few months. Then he won't have to go back at all. Also, he reduced our copay to half after a month or so... We decided it was all or nothing on this, for us. We either were going to trust the dr or not, kwim?

mamahill
02-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Girlfriend, I hear you! My OB (who will remain nameless, and who I will never go to again), basically said, "Deal with it," so I did and there were nights that I really couldn't move. This lasted for the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, and only got progressively worse until 2 weeks before I delivered when all of a sudden it dulled enough where I could actually walk and bend over with out wincing (not that bending over was very easy at that point!). Knowing what I know now, I wish I had gone to a chiropractor. GO GO GO! And especially since I had back labor and now a slightly "off" tailbone. I say give the chiropractor a go. If it doesn't work, don't go back. Other than just taking it easy, the only thing that helped was to lay on the side opposite the pain. That seemed to take her off the nerve a little. Or at least I could lay there without wanting to amputate that leg myself ;).

Rachels
02-10-2003, 04:33 PM
I agree. There are bad chiropractors, just like there are bad doctors. I had a miserable dentist experience once, so I just found a new dentist. I think with alternative healthcare, people are a little quicker to write off the whole thing following an iffy experience. But the iffy experience may be due to the particular practitioner rather than the discipline itself. The same is true of chiropractors, I think. I have been to a bunch, and without question, the Palmer ones all do the best work. They're gentle, thorough, and most importantly, REALLY help.

Several people have had questions about how frequently you have to go. In the beginning, they often ask you to come in more often. Your body has a pretty good memory about where its bones and muscles are placed, and it will revert to the way things have been. Often it takes a number of adjustments to teach it a new way, then you taper off. I do go back for regular adjustments, but I do that for prevention, much in the same way I go to regularly have my teeth cleaned, or for physicals. That way I head off big problems. You don't have to do this, though. It's just what feels comfortable to me.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

CherylT
02-10-2003, 06:28 PM
I had terrible sciatic pain with DS (bad with DD but nothing like this past time around). My OB said that a moist heating pad for 20 min. at a time, 2x per day was fine. He also gave me some exercises to try to do to help. Other than that, he said to just deal with it, take a Tylenol if the pain got too bad. If a chiropractor is unavailable insurance-wise, you could try a DO too. My GP is a DO and he saved me a couple weeks after DS was born when I had dislocated 3 ribs in my back. Note - be careful after the baby is born, all those loose joints, ligaments, etc. can easily cause bones to dislocate if you put too much pressure on them. This never occured to me (I have no idea why - apparently I just figured everything instantly snapped back into place after birth - duh! :)). My GP said I dislocated them by carrying DD and DS in his infant carrier at the same time. I hope you find something to alleviate the pain - good luck!!

Cheryl (aka CT)
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

etwahl
02-10-2003, 07:52 PM
I have definitely been skeptical of chiropractors because of negative past experience, but my doula recommended this one woman to me today. They are going to give me a free first visit and examination (a one hour appt) and then their fee schedule is on a patient-by-patient basis ($25-50) for cash patients. I go on Wednesday afternoon and then have a midwife appt right after. My doula also recommended a massage therapist who specializes in pregnancy massage, so I have that as an option to look into as well. My doula also suggested trying some yoga positions from a book she lent me (hands and knees) to see if that helps to shift the baby or alleviate some of the pain...so I'm going to try a bunch of things.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I hope that one of these things will alleviate the pain.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Shirale
02-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Tammy,
re: the Massage therapy, I totally recommend it!! It was one of the best things I did for myself when pregnant...it even helped my handsa and ankles to be less swollen for about a day!! It was just amazing and so relaxing! I also had horrible sciatica for much of the end of the pregnancy, although not to the point of being immobilzed...but I am dealing with terrible back pain now so I can totally commiserate...hope the chiropractor works wonders!!

nigele
02-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Tammy,

I'm so sorry you are suffering! I had terrible sciatic nerve pain as well and know what you are going through. I went to a physical therapist for six weeks and she gave me exercises to do and told me to use moist heat. She also advised me to avoid the stairs as much as possible - I can't remember exactly why, but it had something to do with getting your hips off-level.

Best of luck with this and I do hope you feel better soon! Sciatica is a pain in the butt! :-)