PDA

View Full Version : Pediatrician near Garner NC?

ncmommy
02-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Hey - I recently saw a post for a "prefect" pediatrician in Raleigh. I thought about giving him a try, but it is a little further from our house than I'd like to go. Everyone says we should try to stick closer to home if we can. Anybody ever use Raleigh Pediatrics/Garner office? Any other suggestions?

blnony
02-10-2003, 12:54 PM
I really only have experience with two peds. practices here and both are in Cary. DD was hospitalized for a week after birth, and we had doctors from Cornerstone Peds and Western Wake Peds. We have only used Cornerstone for monthly check ups and vacs. I have been very happy with them.
I think your best bet is to call the office you are interested in, and let them know you are interviewing pediatricians would like to know if they have an open house so you can gather information. Most ped. office around here offer this. That might help you better gage if their practices and way of doing things agrees with your style of parenting and what you are expecting. If you don't get the feeling that the practice is for you, keep looking. Its really important to be able to trust your doctor, esp. for your baby.
I really liked Cornerstone for a variety of reasons, but also because they have a wonderful lactation consultant there that my insurance covers.
I hope you find a practice that is close to you and one you will really like.

mama2be
02-10-2003, 01:43 PM
NC Mommy,

I am the one who posted about Dr Nechyba I actually live out further than you in Clayton and have also had folks worry about the commute to him. In your case though (I don't know where in Garner you are...Garner on the map actually is pretty huge)...but certain parts of Garner are not far from Rex hospital at all...

I am certain that you will find a great ped around here, I can say after meeting Dr Nechyba his practice did have soem perks that I loved, I listed them on that thread...one of which is week-end hours, and the hours dedicated in the morning to those who have been up all night with their child so no waitng all day, you just show up...Also that their office does not close till the last patient is seen.

But again I am sure that you'd find this at others...I know Lisa had a tough time finding someone and now goes to Dr Nechyba too...she ahd told me to not stop my search once I find a good one to keep interviewing...but during our orientation she bent over and whispered to me (it was the first time we had met eachother)..."you're search is over...he is great"...

I looked no further...

Good luck to you...Is the group you are looking at here off of 70 with DR Jeffers, Mann etc...???? they are a big group with several offices I do know that almost everyone in our neighborhood goes there. I particularily liked Dr Jeffers when I met him once.

ncmommy
02-10-2003, 02:36 PM
The practice I'm looking at is off highway 50 just south of 70. It's the Garner office for Raleigh Pediatrics. We attended an orientation, and so far I'm satisfied - they have weekend hours (although you have to go to the Raleigh office) and pledge to get you in for a sick visit on the morning you call. I guess I won't know until I start seeing the doctors there. They rotate you until you find one you like - then you can request that specific doctor for well check-ups. I just wondered if anyone might have had good/bad experiences there. How long does it take you to get to your doctor near Rex? We live near ten-ten road and highway 50. Garner Pediatrics is really close.

mama2be
02-10-2003, 02:58 PM
I'm going to guess it takes 25-30 minutes...I know folks in Raleigh think Clayton is so far out but it really is only like 15 miles away. I came from DC where you could live an hour out and you were still in "DC"...

Most of my drive is actually getting out of Clayton...70 gets backed up and is not built to handle the recent boom here...

MartiesMom2B
02-11-2003, 01:24 PM
I have an interview with Raleigh Pediatrics tomorrow evening in Raleigh. One of my husband's friends from school is a doctor there so I am going to check them out. I don't know what the Garner office is going to be like. I'm also going to check out Dr. Nechibya too. The advantage of the Raleigh Pediatrics office though is that its right around the corner from my house.

Maybe your OB/GYN has suggestions too for pediatricians that you can see. Mine gave me a list.

Good luck!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03