PDA

View Full Version : Baby Signing

Andrea S
02-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Has anyone taught there baby to sign? Is there a book that you would recomend?

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Rachels
02-10-2003, 04:28 PM
I have a friend who is doing it, and it's great. I'm starting to show Abigail a few signs, too. There's a book that's called *Baby Signs* (I think-- or something pretty close). Basically, the idea is to use the simplest signs-- things like milk, more, all done, sleep, etc, and to use them over and over and over. My friend's baby is now 18 months, and learns new signs immediately. If there's a word he can't manage yet, he uses the sign until he figures it out.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
02-10-2003, 05:22 PM
I have been doing signing with Sarah since she was about 7 months old. Actually several of the moms in my playgroup do it. One of the moms had a minor is American Sign Language (ASL) in college and signs really well. Another mom had an old friend who now teaches baby signing classes as her business. Several of us took classes with her.

It is both rewarding and frustrating. Sarah picked up a few signs right away: milk, light, fan, and dog (go figure as to why these signs). And that was it until recently, even though I was pretty diligent about it. But in the last month she has picked up several new signs all at once. Strange. It seems like babies pick up signs they like and not necessarily the ones you would think they would!

But it has been a really fun activity. The "Baby Signs" book people use their own signs that they made up. There is another very popular book, "Sign with Your Baby" by Joesph Garcia (http://www.sign2me.com/default6.htm) that is also popular. He uses actual ASL signs (or slight modifications for complex signs).

I think it is very worthwhile, but not if you aren't willing to be really diligent about using the signs. If you can find a class, I would take it. We learned several songs to sign to. These are still some of Sarah's absolute favorite songs. Now she is starting to try and sign them herself and it is REALLY adorable.

HTH,

DagnyT
02-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Hi! I started using signs with my DS (DOB 8-15-01) at about 4 months. I can't say I was diligent, but he "got" a number of signs, eat, drink, more, sleep, hurt, etc... that have made life a bit easier for him and for me!

I used Garcia's "Teaching Your baby to Sign"- I would suggest getting the whole package- the tape, book and ready reference sheet. The tape really helps because it shows how children reproduce the signs- with their motor coordinaiton and small hands it looks a little different than if you do it or if you look at a book- too it is very inspiring! The ready reference card was really helpful and I have since left it at his sitters' house. The book is a quick read and very down to earth.

I plan to sue the same appraoch wth our next child, due 8/03- but perhaps I will try to be a bit more disciplined about it!

I noticed one of the replies mentioned a class- I would have welcomed the opportunity to have attended a class, and maybe "networked" with some other parents who were interested in the same thing.

Good Luck!!
DagnyT

DagnyT
02-10-2003, 06:08 PM
HI! Our children nearly share a birthday- Prescott's b-day is 8/15/01! We are expecting another this August!

I saw you mentioned a signing class- do you have any suggestions for where one might check to see if those are available? I live in Louisville, KY.

Thanks,
DagnyT
Prescott 8-15-01
EDD 8-4-03

egoldber
02-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Well, my class was taught by the friend of a friend. I have seen that my county Parks&Rec department offers a Signing with Your baby class, so you may try to check if something like that is available in your area.

HTH,

cara1
02-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Maybe this is a silly question, but do you think that signing delays verbal language expression?

newbelly2002
02-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Not a silly question at all.

Although I have no first hand knowledge, I have heard that it actually aids verbal expression in the same way that learning a second language aids verbal expression in the "first" when you are dealing with very young children. The theory is, I think, that the brain absorbs the language without needing to "translate" in the way that it will later. One learns that "apfel" and "apple" and [insert sign here] are all signs for the red fruit that tastes sweet. THis is a very lay-person's non-scientific explanation, but it's what I remember from when I started doing research on raising a bi-lingual child. We also would like to teach sign to Dante, but I'm struggling with German and English enough as is. Perhaps soon.

Paula

egoldber
02-11-2003, 10:55 AM
I have actually read the same thing. That it does not slow down verbal language at all. And if your baby happens to be on the later edge of verbal development it can help to significantly reduce your toddler's frustrations at being unable to communicate their needs. And almost all babies really enjoy it.

HTH,

DagnyT
02-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Ditto!! Garcia's book addresses this concern in a direct and informative manner. His interest in the topic developed when he noticed that children in nonhearing households (although the children were hearing) began to communicate earlier in life than their hearing household counterparts. It seems, according to him, that babies are hindered in their verbal communication skills due to the fact that their cognitive skills develop sooner than the motor skills necessary to form words with the mouth, tongue, vocal chords, etc.... He also explains that by signing the child, when he or she is able to speak, will be on a level of talking about things rather than merely naming them- because they will have already done that part! Provided a child has no physical issues, it is natural for them to imitate and want to comunicate in that way with those around them and they will do so as soon as possible with or without signing.

DagnyT

Karenn
02-11-2003, 01:03 PM
I have several friends with pre-schoolers who signed with them as babies. They all loved it and recommend it, but they did notice that occassionally their child was reluctant to replace a sign with a spoken word. They had to do a bit of extra coaching at times and say things like, "Right, that's the sign, and now I need you to use your words." Still, all of them said to me, "I'm so glad I did it, and I wish I'd taught more signs."

parkersmama
02-13-2003, 10:36 PM
I used the Baby Signs book (made up signs that made sense) with both of my children. It was a very helpful tool in communicating with a non-verbal child. I started with them around 8 months and just tried to repeat the same few signs several times a day (more, hat, eat, airplane...whatever they were interested in) and they picked up several signs (particularly "more") by around 10 months. I wavered back and forth on whether to use ASL with my 2nd child as it seemed more "proper" but when it came right down to it, it just made more sense to me to use a sign that we made up that was a visual clue to what the word was (ex: open palm of one hand with index finger of other hand pointing to it for "more" or tapping the top of your head with your palm to indicate "hat"). The main reason that I felt pretty comfortable with this was that I never intended to actualy teach sign language to my children. I just wanted a way for us to communicate easily before they could talk. Once they began talking, we pretty much dropped the signing altogether. As for delayed speach, everything I've read said that it's not a worry and the signing may actually help them verbally because they will have already acquired some of the communication skills needed to converse. My first son signed and spoke very early and very clearly. He was one of those that people would always comment on how old he seemed because of his language skills. My second son was a good deal slower to talk but I don't think that signing had anything to do with it. I blame it on two things: being 2nd (they are often slower at verbalizing) and the fact that he was a "mouth baby"...everything in his mouth all the time so I let him have a pacifier to keep him from putting unmentionably yucky things in his mouth all the time!!

I think if you giving signing (either type) a try you'll really like it and you and your child will both enjoy having the early ability to communicate with each other!!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

AngelaS
02-14-2003, 08:06 AM
We LOVED baby signing! I bought the book "Baby Signs" and I had a book from my signed English class in college. I started teaching dd to sign at about 10 months. She was ready to communicate and picked signs up FAST!

By the time she was two, she had about 3 spoken words and 60 signs! My pediatrician (whom I also nannyed for) said many kids talk more at that age, but my dd was a better communicator than most! :)

I'm eager to teach my 9 month old dd to sign too. It can almost totally eliminate whining and it's so nice when they can tell you what they want. Dd#1 would actually sign 'night-night' when she was tired and ready for bed! :D

Melanie
02-14-2003, 03:13 PM
We use this page: http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm and so far Ds knows "milk," which is a Godsend fo a nursing toddler to know! We haven't been real consistent about others but we're working on food & drink, too.

Mommy to Jonah

ncadjan
03-07-2003, 12:05 AM
I used Garcia to start and then I found these Fabulous videos that my son loves. They are called Signing Time and you can get them online at signingtime.com. They are so entertaining and teach signs and words at the same time. the videos don't replace our interaction--they just give him another opportunity to see kids signing. In four months, he has learned 50 signs and recently came to me and told me that his teeth hurt (teething). And he signs to tell me when he wants to take a nap or to have a banana. It is great!

Karenn
03-07-2003, 12:46 AM
The Signing Time videos look really neat. Is there a particular one that you'd suggest? Did you get the set or just the first one? I know it's early, but I'm guessing that Colin's going to be a bit of a late talker so I'm looking for other ways to help him communicate. (I can already tell he's got a ton of stuff he wants to tell me! :) )

Thanks,

August Mom
03-07-2003, 12:54 AM
50 signs -- That's great! At what age did you start introducing signing and at what age did you start the videos? Do you have any tips for those of us starting out as to how to teach a baby to sign? TIA

flagger
03-07-2003, 01:13 AM
If you can still find the March issue of Parents there is an article about teaching basic signs on page 171. They include 10 basic signs from Baby Signs.

August Mom
03-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Thanks, Flagger. I assume that you meant if I could still find Parents on the newsstand. That sad part is I have a subscription so the March issue is floating around somewhere in my house not yet fully read. LOL Locating it can be today's project.

egoldber
03-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Here's an on-line ASL dictionary you may find helpful:

http://www.bconnex.net/~randys/index1.html

JulieL
03-07-2003, 08:19 PM
I am so excited to see some many openminded women! I have been trying one sign with my DS. He hasn't signed back even though it's been months. I have been signing eat, when we have our meals. I saw an interview on the Today Show just a few weeks back on the couple who started Signing Time. I was intreeged. But I forgot about it till now. I just purchased the set and am looking forward to learning with my DS. Hopefully he will be inspired to learn. In the future when I can go back to school I want to get a degree in special education. So I figure my DS & I can jumpstart my education together.

-JulieL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02

ncadjan
04-02-2003, 08:31 AM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. All the Signing Time videos are excellent and I would get all three. They are a great deal and you will watch these more than anything else. I got Baby Einstein as well on Oprah's recommendation, but these are WAY better. We never watch Baby Einstein anymore because they get boring really fast.

Alex watches Signing Time with excitement every day for 30 minutes and he has learned so much. To my surprise, it has also sped up his speech. Just Saturday, he looked up in the sky and said "stars" and made the sign for stars. I had never tried to teach him that but it is in the videos. He was so excited when I said, "Where are the stars?" He pointed up and made the sign and said "stars." I almost cried.

This is one purchase you won't regret.

ncadjan
04-02-2003, 08:42 AM
Signing with your baby is really easy. First, get the Garcia Sign With Your Baby Complete Starter Kit. It has everything you need to learn what to do and you can use it to teach others (dad, grandma, sitters) how to do it to. It is about $49 and comes with a book, a video, and quick reference guide.

Garcia teaches you the first three signs to make: Milk, Eat, More. He shows you how to repeat the signs and then add more when your baby is ready. Then, the video shows you how to make 100 basic signs. You don't have to learn them all right away. Just start with three and see what your baby is interested in. It will take a few months for baby to catch on that the hand movements and the words mean something. But when she does, there is no stopping her.

Then, get all three Signing Time videos/DVDs. They are completely entertaining and help baby further associate signing and meaning togehter. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. They are a great deal and you will watch these more than anything else. I got Baby Einstein as well on Oprah's recommendation, but these are WAY better. We never watch Baby Einstein anymore because they get boring really fast.

Alex watches Signing Time with excitement every day for 30 minutes and he has learned so much. To my surprise, it has also sped up his speech. Just Saturday, he looked up in the sky and said "stars" and made the sign for stars. I had never tried to teach him that but it is in the videos. He was so excited when I said, "Where are the stars?" He pointed up and made the sign and said "stars." I almost cried.

If your baby is like mine, you will need to look for other sources for more signs. For example, I needed the signs for meat and pear (among others). Look for a video at the local library that can teach you or go to http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm. This is the absolute best online sign dictionary with Quick Time vidoes of the signs.

Also, look for classes in your area. There are often people teaching general sign language classes through the community classes or people teaching sign classes for babies. I am giving presentations and starting to teach classes because I get so many people asking me about it. You don't live in Utah do you?

This is one of the greatest things you could ever do. My son and I are so much closer and we get to share so many things earlier in his life. He is only 16 months and can tell me when he has a poopie, when he is hungry, thirsty, tired (imagine a baby telling you that he wants to take a nap!!!!), happy, hurt, and so forth. And the abstract concepts like please, thank you, share are also coming along. The other day, he wanted something and he signed and said "please." Now that is what I call exciting!

Best of Luck.

Nancy

flagger
08-25-2003, 11:17 PM
>Thanks, Flagger. I assume that you meant if I could still
>find Parents on the newsstand. That sad part is I have a
>subscription so the March issue is floating around somewhere
>in my house not yet fully read. LOL Locating it can be
>today's project.

Here I did you a favour then. This chart of 10 basic signs appears on page 172 of the March 2003 issue of Parents. They are taken from Baby Signs: How to Talk with Your Baby Before Baby Can Talk - Linda Acredolo, Ph.D and Susan Goodwyn, Ph.D.

My nephew has Down's and my sister and BIL taught him ASL sign language from a very early age. It made communicating with him so much easier. The ASL sign for dog is a hip pat and a snap of the fingers. He couldn't snap his fingers but would move them next to his mouth and sort of "tock" with his tongue, so he adapted very well to using signs. :)