PDA

View Full Version : Worried about baby boy....

sweetbasil
02-10-2003, 05:33 PM
The ultrasound we had Friday (which indicated our baby is a boy) apparently pointed to the possibility of the baby having hydrocephalus, or swollen ventricles in the brain.

We'll be going in to a perinatologist (should be this week) for genetic counseling, a level 3 ultrasound- done by a doctor, which will offer real-time diagnosis of any problems that may/may not exist, and if there is a problem, then we’ll go for an amniocentesis that day as well. The results of the amnio will take another two weeks, so we may not know anything for a week, or it may be three weeks.

This never happened with Kellen, and with birth defects in our family history, this is pretty scary. So any of you who pray- we'd really appreciate one going up for us right now :)

Thanks.

mama2be
02-10-2003, 05:43 PM
You are in my prayers and thoughts...please keep us posted the second you hear...:)
Hugs,

August Mom
02-10-2003, 05:54 PM
I'm sorry that you received such distressing news. How awful. Hopefully you will have a better understanding of what's going on once the testing begins. Please let us know what the doctors say. You and your little boy will be in our thoughts and prayers.

jojo2324
02-10-2003, 05:58 PM
I am so sorry you are having to go through this. You will be in my thoughts. Hugs...

spu
02-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Hi Julie,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for a healthy diagnosis. I know it must be a difficult time for you right now. Please let us know when you have more information.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

Rachels
02-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Oh, you must be so scared! I'm so sorry you're going through this. You and your baby will be in my thoughts and prayers. We're all here if you need support.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

atlbaby
02-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Oh Julie, I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through right now. Please know I will be thinking of you during this difficult time and praying for good news. Sending you prayers and strength,

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

egoldber
02-10-2003, 06:23 PM
You poor thing! How worried you must be!

This probably doesn't make you feel any better, but I will share my story. Sarah was actually diagnosed with a heart defect via ultrasound when I was 35 weeks pregnant. We were fortunate that her defect turned out to be VERY minor and actually resolved itself by the time she was 6 months old. Just wanted to let you know that the news of a defect diagnosed via ultrasound does not always have terrible consequences, but I know how one's mind always leaps to the worst conclusions.

Here's hoping the level 3 ultrasound will show no problems!

mamahill
02-10-2003, 07:43 PM
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. May you have the strength to have positive thoughts and feelings as you await the results. Extra hugs to you.

Annette_C
02-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Julie,
I'm so sorry you're going through this when it should be such a happy time for you. I really hope and pray that it's something minor and that the level 3 ultrasound will bring good news.
God bless you and your little one.
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

blnony
02-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Julie-
I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I will keep you in my prayers, and please let us know if we can help in way. keep us posted.

etwahl
02-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Julie, I'm sorry I'm late in responding, but I just read your post right now. I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Please know that you are in my thoughts, and especially my prayers. I have found that the power of prayer can be very strong, and you have a lot of people on your side right now.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mary b
02-10-2003, 09:10 PM
HI Julie, I just echo what others have said and will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Mary
Mom to Noelle
9-24-01

nigele
02-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Oh, Julie. What scary news. Please know that we are all thinking of you and praying for the best for you and your baby.

sweetbasil
02-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks to everyone for your sweet words of support and encouragement. We'll go in on Wednesday morning for testing, etc., and your kind posts warm my heart. You have become such a great group of mommy-friends to me.

nohomama
02-10-2003, 10:33 PM
Julie,

What alarming and upsetting news! You, baby, and family are in my thoughts. I hope the result of the ultrasound on Wednesday is more positive and that your not left hanging for days or weeks.

Take care,

COElizabeth
02-10-2003, 10:36 PM
I'm so sorry you have to go through this worrying. My thoughts and prayers are with you, too. Let us know how the tests go on Wednesday.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

twins r fun
02-11-2003, 12:35 AM
Julie,

So sorry to hear you guys are going through this. Hopefully it will be a false alarm and all will be fine. Will look for more news and keep you in my thoughts.

Nicole

ddmarsh
02-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Oh my goodness - we will certainly say a prayer for you all.

Hoping to hear good news from you later in the week -

Debbie

newbelly2002
02-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Julie,

What an awful thing to have to wait on. I'll be sending up a prayer for your family, those here and yet-to-be. I do hope the results on Wednesday come quickly and conclusively.

Paula

khakismom
02-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Sending many, many prayers your way for you and your baby boy! My thoughts are with you and your family and please let us know how everything goes.

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Baby girl EDD 6/12/03

KathyO
02-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Will be thinking about you on Wednesday... very best wishes... and crossed fingers!

KathyO

sntm
02-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Crossing my fingers for you today.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

Sandy
02-12-2003, 01:14 PM
You and the baby are in out thoughts and prayers today. We will be sending postive vibes your way and keeping our fingers crossed.

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

cara1
02-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Thinking about you right about now...
Keep us posted so we can help you get through this...

sweetbasil
02-12-2003, 04:03 PM
We had the level II ultrasound this morning around 9:30, and it was a great experience. First, a little clinical info: ventricles measuring under 10mm are considered normal, 10-13 are classified as ventriculomelagy (enlarged ventricles), and 15+ are hydrocephalic. Our little boy’s largest ventricle measured 8.8mm- definitely in the high range of normal, but still considered normal and healthy. There was no amniocentesis needed, and we’ll be going back in for a follow-up level II ultrasound in 4-6 weeks to make sure his ventricle size is still within the targeted range. So this is good news- it looks like our little boy is growing and developing healthily. The doctor also said that she appreciated the ultrasonographer’s caution on Friday, as they definitely are predominant and larger than some children’s ventricles, but not outside of the normal range.

Thank you all for your support, notes, and prayers over the past few days. Who would've ever thought that I'd have such a great community of friends who I've never really "met" but who care so much. I can't tell you how much your kindness has meant to me and my family.

atlbaby
02-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Oh Julie that is wonderful news!! :)

You and your family must be so incredibly relieved right now! I'm so happy that everything looks normal in the end. And although I'm sure you wish you hadn't had to go through all of this, it is good to know that the ultrasonographer was being cautious and picked up that the baby's ventricles are larger than some babies' ventricles--but thank G-d within the range!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

cara1
02-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Whew, I'm so relieved, as I'm sure you are. I'm sure if you're anything like me, you'll still be wrapping measuring tape around that boy's head long after he's born :), but for now it looks like things should be smooth sailing.

sweetbasil
02-12-2003, 05:21 PM
You've got me cracking up...probably so. A friend of mine said, "You're probably more confident about this little boy's health than you were of Kellen's!" Not really- you know, once a seed of concern is planted in a mommy's head, it's tough to get rid of. I won't feel relieved until our sweet little boy is resting in my arms, a good 4 months from now! Thanks, all! :)

egoldber
02-12-2003, 05:32 PM
That's great news!! Hooray!

nohomama
02-12-2003, 06:04 PM
What excellent news!!! It must have been a nerve racking experience. It's good to hear such postitive test results.

Sandy
02-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Yeah! I am so glad that the news is positive. I'll keep sending positive thoughts that the follow up level II ultrasound is also within the normal range.

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

Rachels
02-12-2003, 07:31 PM
YAAAAYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy you got good news!!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

JMarie
02-12-2003, 08:31 PM
I am so happy for you - no one should have to go through that kind of worry! You will remain in our thoughts and prayers until that little guy is safe in your arms. Lots of 'healthy baby' vibes coming your way...

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

ddmarsh
02-13-2003, 10:37 AM
That's such great news - try and relax the rest of your pregnancy :).

Debbie