PDA

View Full Version : Cold medicines and pregnancy

divabell
02-12-2003, 10:06 AM
I hope someone can answer this question for me--are there any cold meds that are safe while you're pregnant? I won't know for a couple weeks if this month's attempt was successful... but I seem to be getting a cold. Is there anything I can take? Usually I only take Dayquil and Nyquil for run-of-the-mill colds. If anyone has advice I would appreciate it. Or if I'm being unnecessarily cautious you can tell me that too. :)

TIA,
Lori R.
TTC since October '02

Momof3Labs
02-12-2003, 10:24 AM
If I remember correctly, the only safe cold "med" is saline drops (nasal). There was also a cough medicine that you could take - Robitussin? - but it doesn't sound like what you need.

Good luck this month - hope that you will graduate from TTC to mama-to-be!!

Rachels
02-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Hi, Lori. The general advice is to steer clear of anything you don't absolutely have to take, especially during the first critical weeks of pregnancy. Try saline spray for your stufy nose, keep a vaporizer running, squeeze a lemon into some boiling water and inhale the steam, etc. If you're unbearably miserable, Sudafed, Benadryl, and Nyquil are supposeedly okay.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mary b
02-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Hi, I am at work and I don't have my list with me, but call your Dr. and ask a nurse and they can give you a list of ones you can take. I don't think you are being overcautious, I am the same way!

Good Luck TTC!
Mary

egoldber
02-12-2003, 11:07 AM
Many of those things they tell you to avoid are "theoretical" risks. One of my pet peeves is about doctors who tell you to avoid something that will make you feel more comfortable because a lab rat subjected to a medication at 10 times the normal dosage had an adverse reaction. Don't get me wrong, there are some medications that absolutely should be avoided that are very dangerous for your baby. But there are many things you can take that are still safe and there is no need for you to suffer.

My former OB in California had a nice website with a list of common medications that are safe during pregnancy. Here is the link: http://www.losolivos-obgyn.com/meduse.htm

HTH,

divabell
02-12-2003, 11:46 AM
Thanks, everyone. I am trying to fight the cold off because I have to sing at a wedding very soon! But the advice will come in handy if this cold does get worse. And if I do graduate from TTC this month, I'll be sure to post and let you all know. :)

Lori R.
TTC since October '02

mama2be
02-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Beth...

You are so right on!!!!
Infact aren't many of those rats exposed to it at 100 times more than the normal amount...

atlbaby
02-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Have you heard that Sudafed and Nyquil are really ok? I know Benadryl is alright, but I didn't know the others were acceptable. I guess taking them during the first few weeks is not recommended but maybe afterwards then? I would love to be able to take Sudafed if I'm miserable--colds are so miserable when you're pregnant and can't sleep anyway!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

cara1
02-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Don't forget tylenol is okay. (But not ibuprofen or aspirin).

flagger
02-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Generally I understood Actifed to be ok after the 12th week. However an OB I knew from MA basically said if you are feeling sick so is your baby. Take care of you.

SylviaWig
02-12-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm fighting a cold right now (33 wks pregnant), and I called my dr's office last night to check what medicines would be okay to take. I'm primarily suffering from a stuffy nose, sneezing and irritated eyes. Doctor's office said Sudafed is okay, and also Afrin or Ocean Spray nasal sprays. I've been taking Benadryl on and off for the past few months because it makes me drowsy and helps me sleep, but it's an antihistamine so it'll probably help with nasal congestion or stuffiness. If you're not sure that you're pregnant though, I'd stay away from any medicines until you're sure and then consult your doctor at your first visit. They should have a list they can give you of medications you can take while you're pregnant. Hope you feel better!

cvharris
02-13-2003, 07:51 PM
I second the vote for sudafed. My midwife told me the plain sudafed nasal decongestant (little red tablets) was okay. She said that anything with multiple active ingredients has not been proven safe. I suffered through a horrible cold in early December and tried the saline drops, but they didn't help. It eventually turned into a nasty sinus infection and bronchitis. Then I was prescribed plain sudafed and antibiotics.

I hope you feel better. I remember how awful it was.