PDA

View Full Version : Minipill Pros and Cons

August Mom
02-14-2003, 02:50 PM
I am looking for any insights you have about using the minipill (or Micronor). I am specifically interested in whether milk supply decreased during use and if so, at what point. Letting me know about any other advantages or disadvantages of taking this pill would be appreciated.

TIA

Shirale
02-14-2003, 04:00 PM
I used Micronor for the 10 1/2 months that I nursed Amira and I did not have any problems whatsoever with decreased milk supply. Amira stopped nursing at 10 1/2 months on her own, and then my supply decreased (obviously!!) slowly, as she slowly cut down, and I was somewhat engorged when she finally stopped, but not too badly. I do have friends who did not like it as they bled a lot on it, but I did not get my period at all for the first 4 months, and then after that got it regularly. I also had none of the regular pill side affects that I had with Ortho tri or other pills. HTH,

mamahill
02-14-2003, 04:12 PM
I've been on Micronor and I think it's great. When I went for my 6-week check-up, I asked about the side effects and the nurse mentioned that some notice a decrease in the milk supply. As soon as we were talking about milk, I had one of my massive letdowns and had to change pads right then and there. he nurse said, "Well, in your case, it might actually help cut down on that!" I said, "I'll TAKE IT!"

I don't recall any drastic decrease in supply - I think it was still getting under control at that point. I haven't had any problems with the headaches that I had with Ortho, or some of the others. I've had my period sporadically, but it just came back regularly a couple months ago. So far, so good. Most importantly, I'm not pregnant - so it's working for me! HTH

juliasdad
02-14-2003, 05:53 PM
DW started using the minipill a couple of months ago; there's been no decrease in supply as far as we can tell. Some of the literature suggests that use of the minipill can possible enhance supply slightly; I haven't seen any description of a mechanism whereby supply would be decreased. Of course, I don't even play a doctor on TV...

-dan

brubeck
02-14-2003, 07:59 PM
I used the minipill when I was nursing my daughter and I am on it again as I am nursing my son (in between I went back to my normal pill and then was pregnant after that!). The only reason I went off the minipill and back to my normal one was that I wanted the acne-fighting effects of my normal pill (not present in minipill).

I had no problems at all on the minipill and no decreased milk supply. In fact, the minipill has fewer hormones than the regular pills so it should have even fewer side effects.

I did not have a period on the minipill until I stopped nursing.

There have been ample studies done on the minipill and it is safe to take while nursing (otherwise all those OBs wouldn't prescribe it!).

Andrea S
02-14-2003, 11:47 PM
I also am taking the mini pill with no decrease in supply.

I have another question about the pill--I read on another board that the mini pill is not effective once you are not nursing every 3-4 hours. Has anyone else heard that? I am going to call my ob's office next week b/c they never told me that.

Andrea