PDA

View Full Version : Did you carry your baby according to the "wives tale"?

etwahl
02-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Everyone keeps telling me that I'm having a boy because I'm carrying all out front and really low. In fact, from behind, I don't even look pregnant. I was just wondering if you found you carried according to the wives tale?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mama2be
02-15-2003, 08:04 PM
I think I'm carrying the typical wives tale of a what a "boy pregnancy" resembles. I'm huge but it's all out front. I actually think I've lost weight in the face, butt and upper thighs. And am at a total of 20lbs weight gain thus far and 6 days from EDD!!!

Rachels
02-15-2003, 08:38 PM
Nope! I carried really low and all in the front. Once when I was about 7 months pregnant, a clerk in CVS commented that I'd be having a boy. I said, "It's a girl, actually," and the clerk looked at me crosseyed and said, disdainfully, "What's wrong with HER?!!"

Uh. Couldn't be that it's not a foolproof system, could it?

!!!!!!!!!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
02-15-2003, 08:40 PM
I was huge and mostly out front, and carried VERY high. I gained weight in my butt and thighs, but not noticeably. And it was a boy!

C99
02-15-2003, 08:41 PM
I carried according to the wives' tale and I did have a boy. But I don't put much stock in the wives' tale b/c one of my co-workers also carried really low and she had a girl.

etwahl
02-15-2003, 08:46 PM
Rachel, this is what I wanted to hear...just that there's a chance this is a girl. Not that I don't want a boy (I do) it's just that this time around, I'm so prepared for this to be a girl!! I have the Lauren letters put up in the nursery already, not to mention all the adorably cute girl clothes :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Rachels
02-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Well, if it helps, my mom carried the same way I did and had two daughters. It has to do with YOUR body type, not the baby's gender. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KathyO
02-15-2003, 10:21 PM
Ditto here. Low, all out in the front, and a girl. Go figure.

KathyO

atlbaby
02-15-2003, 10:22 PM
Well, everyone (except DH, but he just *wanted* a girl :) ) swore I was having a boy bc I didn't show at all except in front! I came to be convinced I was having a boy so much that when the OB and DH told me 'it's a girl' I was dumbfounded!!
So you never know...

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

Karenn
02-15-2003, 10:33 PM
Everyone who saw me swore I was having a girl. I even had a woman from the Philippines tell me that she could tell I was having a girl by looking at my neck. I'd never heard that one before! They were all shocked when Colin arrived.

mama2be
02-16-2003, 01:43 AM
Tammy...

I'm convinced you'er having a girl...I wouldn't worry about it...she's a she, she's Lauren!!!! :)

I've seen pics of you and you are just "baby' you look like you have not gained anywhere else...extra loves to Lauren for being a girl and giving you that figure!!!!

Don't you worry about it, I know you are prepared for a girl and I strongly feel thats what your having...she is going to be Tristan's girlfriend...

etwahl
02-16-2003, 01:53 AM
That would be great :) They'll already have matching web sites after all!!!

Well I'm off to bed. Exhausted. Hopefully I can sleep tonight. These hormones are starting to get to me. Maybe it's a good thing Evan's not here :) (at least for his sake!)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

jojo2324
02-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Tammy, I was the typical man-child pregnancy. We didn't know what we were having, but I was all in front, like a basketball. I lost weight in my hips, thighs and face. And same with me, you couldn't tell I was pregnant from behind. *Everyone* said I was having a boy, but there were some people who claimed to be psychic, or never wrong at determining a baby's sex, and they ALL said it was a girl, which really got my hopes up.

And I took all of the tests, except the draino one, and they all said I was more likely to have a girl. But in the end my body was the true indicator.

Do you think that a second pregnancy with the opposite sex you would carry similarly to the first? Just curious. A woman Shawn works with looked the same the second time around as she did with her first, a boy, and she had a girl.

etwahl
02-16-2003, 01:59 PM
I hope I carry this way no matter what I am having!!! It seems like it "might" be easier to lose the weight when it's concentrated in mostly one spot. Now I haven't lost any weight in my hips, thighs or face, but at least I haven't gained A LOT (I definitely have new deposits of fat ALL over my body, ugh!)

But soon we will find out if this little sweetie is a boy or a girl :) I am excited to find out and to announce to everyone!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mcmorfit
02-17-2003, 08:36 PM
Well Tammy I hope it is a girl then!

I've carried low for the whole time and really didn't start to show untl the 6 month point. I thought it was a girl but EVERYONE thinks it is a boy. In fact last week we were at Home Depot and the women at the service center all were staring at my belly and all in agreement that it is a boy due to the way I'm carrying. They even gave me their number to call to prove they were correct.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Ellen
EDD: 02/23/03

etwahl
02-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Ellen, are you hoping for one more than the other? Of course I almost hate to ask, because we all know we will love our child, no matter what the sex! I'm assuming you didn't ask during the ultrasound? I've gained 37 pounds, which seems like a huge amount to me, but that's just because I've always been neurotic about my weight :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

brubeck
02-17-2003, 09:19 PM
When I was pregnant with my daughter I carried high. I had to buy special extenders for my maternity/nursing bras because my chest cavity expanded so much. Most people said they knew it was a girl because I carried so high. However some women who had been born in China told me that they thought I was having a boy because the baby was high. Turns out the Chinese have the exact opposite old wives' tale. Makes you wonder about its usefulness, hmmm? :-)

But for the record, I did carry low with my second pregnancy (a boy). Of course he dropped at 30 weeks so that is probably the REAL reason he was low.

Oh and Tammy I gained 40 pounds with my first pregnancy. I did manage to lose it all by 9 months after delivery, thereby meeting the '9 months up, 9 months down' deadline. (but barely)

etwahl
02-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if it were 9 months up, 9 weeks (or even better, 9 days) down?! You'd think for all the sacrifices our body makes, it's the least we deserve :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

JMarie
02-18-2003, 01:17 AM
Well, don't watch MTV unless you want to get REALLY depressed! I was flipping channels (there is nothing on TV at three in the morning!) and I happened to catch a re-run of the Brandy special when she had her baby. She's walking out of the hospital and says something like "It's so nice to have my flat tummy back - and only two days!" I just wanted to strangle her! I don't think I'll ever have my flat tummy back... We'll see if my pilates really pays off, I suppose.

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

jubilee
02-18-2003, 06:36 AM
I am having a boy, the ultrasound was VERY clear! :0. And I believe I am carrying low and all out front. I stick way out front. People who guess about my baby always say it's a boy. I ask them how they know, and they say it's because I am carrying high, low, etc. Everyone agrees it's a boy but no one agrees on how I am carrying! I am short-waisted and 5'2", with my baby bulge starting 3-4 inches under my breasts. In my maternity pants, I have plenty of waist room but they dig in where the maternity panel meets the legs. So I think that's pretty low. Anyway, I don't think the wife's tale is a good predicter, since people can't even agree on whether it is high or low. However, somehow people know it's a boy... go figure. And I often am asked if I wanted a boy, so I reply "It was my second choice!" I hope you get what you are dreaming for,

mcmorfit
02-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Well, I have to admit I'm more attached to the name Lucy than Henry, but I'll be happy when the wee one is put on my breast regardless of plumbing. We did not ask about the gender in the ultrasound - keeping it a surprise.

Ah the weight element. I had read that in the last couple of weeks most women gain like 1/2 lb or even lose weight. Ha! In the past two weeks I've packed on seven pounds, I'm actually frightened to step on the scale at my appointment today for fear I might have a baker's dozen. My midwife keeps reminding me that it is probably water weight, but it is still rather alarming. Ah well.

Ellen
EDD: 02/23/03

juliasdad
02-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Ditto here, too.

Ahem. Well, not exactly "here". But DW could have been a model for the catalog of Old Wives' Tale Boy Indicators. Mother-in-law would have wagered large sums of money on their accuracy. I cherished the "hi, mom... it's a girl" phone call!

-dan

brubeck
02-18-2003, 07:30 PM
9 weeks down? Hmmmm, then I'm due for an instantaneous 10-15 pound weight loss any day now since my second child was born at the end of December. Wouldn't it be nice? :-)