PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Used Dr. Mindell's Sleep Training?

kclm
02-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Hello,

Our 3-month-old is still waking every 2 hours during the night, and sometimes even more frequently. We are thinking of using the techniques recommended by Dr. Jodi Mindell in her book "Sleeping Through the Night." Has anyone else had success with this method? Is it okay to use it with a 3-month-old? On the Amazon site, many reviewers with babies 3 months or younger raved about the book, but I just wanted some more feedback. Thanks in advance!

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

Rachels
02-17-2003, 11:12 AM
Most pediatricians will tell you that three months old is WAY too young to sleep train. It's very normal for a baby that age to still be waking frequently. Have you read the Pantley book or The Happiest Baby on the Block? Both have ideas to help little babies sleep without resorting to sleep-training.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Karenn
02-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Hi,
I don't know if you've seen it, but Babycenter.com has an elaborate sleep resource center and Jodi Mindell is one of their experts. You can get a really good idea of her philosophies by visiting that site. (This site also gives you short summaries of the philosophies of Brazelton, Ferber, AAP, & Sears so you can really get a sense of the whole spectrum of opinions.) If I remember right, Mindell suggests waiting until a baby is older to actually let them cry it out. (I think six months.) Before that age, I think she advocates giving them opportunities to fall asleep on their own by putting them down drowsy but awake. Here's the baby center link.

[http://www.babycenter.com/baby/babysleep/index/]