PDA

View Full Version : Fabric softener?

gour0
02-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Is it ok to use liquid fabric softener or dryer sheets on baby's clothes? If so, what kind?

Momof3Labs
02-17-2003, 11:59 AM
At the beginning, we did not use fabric softener/dryer sheets. We didn't want to irritate baby's skin, and any kind of fabric softener/dryer sheet is one more thing that could cause irritation.

Once Colin was about 2 months old, we gave the dryer sheets a shot (we use Bounce). He's been fine with them, so now we use dryer sheets on his clothes, too.

If you absolutely cannot live without fabric softener for baby's clothes, then at least choose an unscented softener. But I'd suggest that you try to do without, at least at the very beginning, just in case.

sweetbasil
02-17-2003, 12:09 PM
You might check out this link-
http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=18539&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=18151

it basically says that fabric softener has been shown to make clothes more flammable, but dryer sheets have little effect. I have also read, though, that most fabric softeners (liquid and sheets) reduce the absorption qualities of fabrics, so towels, etc., probably shouldn't be washed/dryed with them....

HTH!

atlbaby
02-17-2003, 12:29 PM
I second the recomendation for Bounce Free dryer sheets. I actually used the Bounce sheets pre-baby because I have sensitive skin. I know you didn't ask about detergent, but I've used All Free for years and like it a lot.

HTH!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

Rachels
02-17-2003, 12:30 PM
We've used Bounce Free since the beginning. It doesn't have perfumes or dyes, so it's fine.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
02-17-2003, 12:33 PM
I have also used Bounce Free from the beginning with no trouble.

I have read that liquid fabric softeners can reduce the flame retardancy of toddler sleepwear, but I wouldn't worry about that yet. And you shouldn't use fabric softeners on things that need to absorb, like towels and diapers, because it does cause a build-up which reduces absorbancy. I use a softener sheet on my towels about every third wash or so and NEVER on my diapers.

HTH,