PDA

View Full Version : How do you fit exercise into your schedule?

celfsh
02-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Well, DD is almost 5 months old now, and I am ashamed to say I haven't really done much in the way of exercise since she was born. I just can't figure out how to make the time. Any suggestions from other moms trying to get back into/stay in shape? I feel like such a slug...

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

JMarie
02-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Okay, so I'm going against doctor's orders, but I started working out last week - two weeks after Aidan was born. Honestly, I didn't crave anything but jogging throughout the last trimester! All I wanted to do was hop on a treadmill and run and I was entirely too large to do that. I'm still not running, but DH picked up yoga and pilates DVDs for me and I do them every morning. DH works evenings, so he's there in the morning to take care of Aidan. I'll start going back to the gym when I return to work, and that will mean getting up at 4:30 to leave for the 5 AM classes I want to take MWF and meet with a trainer TuTh. I start work at seven, so that gives me time for the hour class/session and a half-hour run. I know it's a lot and it's probably overkill for most people, but that's what works for me. I'd suggest getting some videos or DVDs and workout at home while the baby sleeps, just to start. Also, spring should be here before too long, and you can just pull out the stroller and start walking! Good luck!

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

COElizabeth
02-18-2003, 04:34 PM
Celeste,

I'm pretty much with you. I was still on bed rest for a few weeks after DS was born, and then I somehow really messed up my toe before Christmas and haven't been able to walk without pain since then (using orthotics now and slowly getting better, I hope!). Walking is my preferred form of exercise, so that's been frustrating. I did go swimming a couple of times in the past week, and I highly recommend it. For me, at least, it does not take long at all to get tired swimming, so I feel like I can get some exercise in a very short period of time. Second, because I have to concentrate pretty hard on breathing right, doing the strokes, etc., it really takes my mind off Mommy duties. And, of course, the weightlessness is a GREAT feeling after being above normal weight for over a year now! BTW, if anyone is interested in starting a little email group to support each other's post-baby exercise efforts, I would be interested. Good luck!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

kfcboston
02-18-2003, 05:20 PM
Thanks for asking this question! While our first little one has not yet arrived, I'm already worried about this exact issue. I'm envisioning a nighttime regimen, since DH will be home from work, and let's face it - I don't think I'm a morning person! (Do I hear motherly snickering out there? Am I about to become a morning-noon-and-night person??) We will seeeee............

ddmarsh
02-18-2003, 06:48 PM
Which DVDs are you doing - I would love to pick some up but am not sure which ones I'd like to try. I too feel ready to go physically (our babies were born on the same day :)) but am having a hard time getting myself motivated with everything I have going on.

Debbie

JMarie
02-18-2003, 07:35 PM
I have the Gaiam series Pilates/Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss (two separate DVDs) and Kathy Smith's Pilates for Abs, as well as the Tae Bo tapes, which I used prior to the pregnancy (the DVDs are from Sams Club). I'm not quite up to a high-impact workout, so Tae Bo is out for now. I've heard good things about The Firm DVDs, but I'm trying to find someone who has a set I can borrow before shelling out the $75 for the set at Target. I also want to pick up the Crunch Fitness Power Yoga series, but again, I think I'll wait a little while on those ones since my abs are still out of whack. I recommend the DVDs because they have variations that aren't available on VHS, and I'd also suggest getting at least two different ones so you're not doing the same workout day-after-day - your muscles get used to a particular movement and then it's not as effective. I also use a wrap around my abs so I don't injure them while I'm still healing - it doesn't get in the way of the workout too much. I picked one up at BRU - it's up by the breast pumps. HTH!

JMarie

stillplayswithbarbies
02-18-2003, 11:52 PM
My baby isn't here yet, but I go to a place called Curves For Women. It's a 30 minute workout and I go three times a week. I've been going faithfully through pregnancy and plan to get back to it as soon as I can after the baby is born.

I think I will be able to take the baby in with me in a stroller or carseat since it is all in one small room and I can just sit the baby next to me as I go around the circuit.

Before I got pregnant, I lost 70 pounds doing this. And I've kept the pregnancy gain to 21 pounds so far. I love this program! It's fun and easy and quick and shows results.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Logan Bartholomew, EDD March 21

trumansmom
02-19-2003, 12:34 PM
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I just started there and it is sooooo easy! 3 mornings a week, DH is in charge of getting Truman fed and dressed.

When I tried a regular gym, I had a hard time finding enough time. The fact that it's only 30 minutes makes all the difference for me.

However, at the one I go to, they have a sign posted asking that we not bring children.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-19-2003, 01:44 PM
That is supposed to be the official Curves policy. But I have seen kids come in with parents before, and the owner was playing with them, so I don't think it will be a problem. I won't abuse it by taking the baby every time. When I go in the evening, my husband is usually home, or he can take the baby with him to the Boy Scout meeting sometimes too.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Logan Bartholomew, EDD March 21

celfsh
02-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I've seen a Curves for Women about 15 minutes from where I live. For those who attend, what are the workouts like and how much does it cost?

Also, JMarie, you mentioned the Gaiam yoga series on DVD. I did the prenatal yoga tape while I was pregnant and thought it was pretty good. What is Yoga for Weightloss like?

Elizabeth, I'm all for starting a support group. What exactly did you have in mind?

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

JMarie
02-19-2003, 02:44 PM
I really like the yoga DVD - the instructor explains the moves and it flows very nicely. You can select your workout level on the DVD, which I really like (I also used the prenatal tape, when I was allowed) and there is a pose guide for when you feel like you're not quite doing it right. I use the pose guide a lot, since I've felt so off-balance with some of them. I suppose the balance will come back as my center of gravity shifts back to where it belongs. HTH!

JMarie

trumansmom
02-19-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure is it costs the same everywhere, but here Curves cost $30 a month, plus an initial sign up of about $50.

The workout is very simple. There are 10 resistance machines in a circle, with a small mat/platform in between each of them. You walk or run in place on the platform for 30 seconds, then you move to the next machine and work there for 30 seconds. You do a complete circuit three times. They also measure you monthly.

Like I said, I just started there, but I really like it so far. I have a friend who has dropped 2 sizes in 6 weeks from going to Curves.

Jeanne

flagger
02-19-2003, 04:35 PM
I don't know what the weather is like in your area but just getting out there and pushing the stroller around the block is terrific exercise. Walking can be amazingly beneficial to both mind and body and it isn't hard on the knees. Plus your DD would probably love all the new sights and sounds and smells. One other benefit to walking is it is perfectly free.

COElizabeth
02-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Celeste,

I'm hadn't really thought it through, but I know that in the past I have had better luck with an exercise routine when I had a "buddy" trading notes with - even over a long distance. We would email each other every week and just report what we had done - swam 2 days for half an hour, walked 4 miles 2 days, etc. and just generally encouraged each other. If anyone is interested we could just send around a group email every week or so and have people check in on how they are doing, encourage others, give ideas for excercising with and without the baby, etc. Any thoughts?

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

CherylT
02-20-2003, 06:23 PM
I am not a workout person at all - although I do enjoy going for walks (can't wait for warmer weather). I just bought 2 books "The 12 Minute Total Body Workout" by Joyce Vedral and "The 7 Minute Miracle" by Sheldon Levine. I've been doing the 12 Minute workout for about 4 weeks now and really like it - it's mainly for toning. I do have a problem doing the stomach excerises for it though (either I've never had any stomach muscles or pregnancy causes them to atrophy!), so I started doing the 7 Minute stomach excercises daily as well - this book is for spot fat reducing. The 7 minute book is a bit weird, but I like the exercises and some of what the guy says does make sense. With 2 kids and a DH who travels (so no one to watch kids for me to go exercise) time was my big factor in choosing something. HTH

Cheryl
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

MartiesMom2B
02-20-2003, 06:38 PM
I used a Joyce Vedral book to help me work out before I got married (pre wedding workout) and it worked like a champ and got me hooked on working out with weights. I loved it and it works great, especially her arm excercises.

I'm planning on Tae Bo-ing and mall walking. Thanks for letting me know that Tae Bo is a little to high impact for after the pregnancy. I don't know why I think I'll be able to pop out the baby and start high kicking it. I have some yoga videos too. I'm hoping that I'll able to put Martie in her swing or pack-n-play and get a half an hour of excercise in. Do you think that will work, or am I being delusional.

I do have a gym membership that expires in April that I'm going to cancel it b/c the gym has no child care facilties. I'm just going to apply to weight watchers.

I would love to join in an e-mail circle to encourage me to work out post pregnancy.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

ddmarsh
02-20-2003, 06:47 PM
I would like to join in as well, there are some sites where you can actually set up a mailing list for free, not sure which ones though.

Debbie

Magda
02-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Check in your area and see if there are any Lifetime Fitness gyms. They are amazing! They have weights, cardio, classes, pools, personal training etc. PLUS 2 hours of free child care daily once your baby is three months old. They also teach swim lesson, karate, and have summer programs for kids.

JMarie
02-22-2003, 03:22 PM
I also belong to LifeTime - it is a fabulous gym. Plus, you can join one LifeTime site but have priviledges at all of their locations. That has worked for me, because the classes I like are at one gym but my trainer is at another.

JMarie

cara1
02-22-2003, 11:40 PM
Exer-what? :)

JulieL
02-24-2003, 09:18 PM
THE FIRM WORKOUT VIDEOS!!! I have been using The Firm 3 video set that I am borrowing from my best friend. I have always hated working out and have never seen results like I have with these tapes. I workout in the evening around 8 or 9 when my 11 month old son is asleep. The tapes consist of Ab Scuplt (which I thought I would never make through, but with the rests built in the routine makes it possible to complete), Cardio Scuplt and Body Scuplt. I have never, being a lazy bum, had muscles, of any kind. Well I do now! The Fanny Lifter really works!!! I saw at Wal-mart and Sam's Club the set in VHS & DVD with a coupon for $30 off the Fanny Lifter, I think. It really is worth it. For me it is to much to get the baby ready between feedings and naps to go to a club and work out! Especially in the winter when it is just yuk!!! I have lost the fat I had from the pregnancy and am now fitter than before I got pregnant, except for my lower abs, sigh... But 3 MONTHS TILL SUMMER and I will provale!!! Also I HIGHLY recommend logging your workouts and your messurements and weight each month. It's really the inches that I have seen move, as well as weight. But muscle weighs more than fat. I use to think dieting was the way, forget crazy diets, just eat moderately and it will FALL OFF!!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!