PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else from Ohio?

August Mom
02-18-2003, 06:03 PM
I've noticed contingents of moms on the boards from CA, NC and the DC area and perhaps some other areas that my mommy brain can't recall right now :), but I haven't noticed anyone other than Debbie from Ohio. Are there any other Buckeyes out there? If so, we may be able to help one another find things, talk about stores, doctors, etc. BTW, I live in a suburb of Columbus.

muskiesusan
02-18-2003, 08:22 PM
I've lived in Ohio since birth! Right now I live in a suburb of Cincinnati. I lived in Columbus for a year after college, though.

Susan & Nicholas (10/01/01)

August Mom
02-18-2003, 08:29 PM
I've lived in Ohio since birth also (except for my years of college and law school). I'm originally from Darke County in western Ohio. I lived in Cincinnati (Cherry Grove) for a year after law school. Nice to "meet" a fellow Buckeye.

nohomama
02-18-2003, 08:57 PM
I grew up in Cincinnati and my Mom is there, but alas, I am not.

egoldber
02-18-2003, 09:05 PM
I don't know if this counts :) but I grew up in Covington, KY, right across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. My mom grew up in Cleves, OH right outside Cincinnati near the Ohio/Indiana border. Most of my mom's (very large) family still lives or near Cincinnati.

zoethebeagle
02-18-2003, 10:55 PM
I grew up in Shaker Heights (East side of Cleveland), went to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio and CWRU Law in Cleveland. Currently we live in Westchester, New York after years in NYC but we are moving home to Cleveland within a year! Can't wait to get back to Ohio!

Erika
Caleigh 9/11/01

mary b
02-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Hi, I grew up in Lawrenceburg, IN and after a few year stint in Florida after college, I have lived in various parts of Cincinnati, currently living in West Chester. I can't help with dr's in Columbus, but I have found great deals at the outlets certain times of the year. (I am jealous of all your great shopping in Columbus!) Also, in Cincinnati "Mom Sales" are a big deal and the Spring season is starting. Have you heard of these in Columbus? I can send you details on what we do in Cincy if you like?

Thanks,

Mary
mom to Noelle
9/24/01

ddmarsh
02-19-2003, 09:47 AM
We live near Youngstown, have lived here most of my life with the exception of undergrad in Milwaukee - went to graduate school at Kent and law school at Akron.

It's unfortunate that you all are further away and how fortunate for you all to be located so much closer to the Pottery Barn outlet :).

Debbie

August Mom
02-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Hi, Mary. We do have some good shopping in Columbus now! (And I live about 10 minutes from the newest mall, Polaris Fashion Place -- DH wishes he could have fought the zoning on that one :) LOL) Anyway, I go to the outlets on I-71 sometimes, but I have not been there since DS arrived. I've been waiting until Spring so I don't subject DS to the cold all day. I am not familiar with Mom Sales in Columbus, but I'm sure that moms in my playgroup would be interested in such things. How do you find out about them?

muskiesusan
02-19-2003, 11:37 AM
The shopping is what I miss most about Columbus, well, that and my sister and brother who live there. I wish had just one those great shopping centers here in Cincy (btw I live near Loveland). I was sad to hear that Marshall Fields was leaving Columbus, it was my favorite store when I lived there. This may seem silly, but Columbus was just too flat for me. Growing up in SE Ohio and then college in Cincy got me used to hilly terrain!

I love the Mom sales, I have already marked my calender for the ones I know are coming up.

Oh, and my husband thinks that the Pottery Barn outlet isn't a great place since I discovered I can get there in 40 minutes!!!

Susan

mary b
02-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Hi, they are big "garage sales" basically of children's clothing and equipment. I have had great luck with these sales. I am going to copy some info I previuosly posted about them. They are called "Mom's Sales" and several organizations do them usually in the Spring (before garage sale season starts) and the Fall (after it's over). In the Cincinnati area, there are about 15 of them in the month of March alone. Organizations from churches, to mom's groups to Mother of Twins club have these sales. They usually are on Saturdays and start around 8-9AM. They are extremely organized and they are basically a giant garage sale for kids clothes and equipment. I have found so much at these sales, I typically dont go to consignment shops because the prices are much better here. At the sales in the fall, I got 2 Gymboree winter coats for $10 each that have worked out great and also Christmas outfits. THey are great for both everyday stuff and the special occasion clothes that can get pricy quickly.
Of course, you need to be in the mood to dig. Here are a few tips on successful Mom's sales:
(1) If it starts at 8, get there at least 15 minutes early to get in line.
(2) Go through your kid's wordrobe first and take a list with you of items you need.
(3) Take some extra bags or laundry baskets with you.
(4) If you can, take a friend or some extra hands (DH refuses to go!)
(5)They are usually cash only!
I do still go to garage sales but it's nice to have one place to get so much accomplished in a short period of time.

You can either look on-line for Mother of Twins clubs, call information, look in local paper for garage sales which will list them and call local chuches. Once I go to them, I usually get on the mailing list so that I don't have to scout them out so much.

I did a serch for Columbus, Ohio MOther of Twin Clubs and didn't find a list of sales like we have for Cincy but I did find a contact name you could call to ask.
Columbus Mothers of Twins Club Contact info: Phone: 614-442-6558
Good luck finding them..
mary