PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for before bed snacks?

etwahl
02-19-2003, 06:22 AM
I need some suggestions for before bed snacks that will keep me going through most of the night. Lately I wake up so often in the night and am just famished! I think I now realize why I'm gaining so much weight at the end of the pregnancy :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

gour0
02-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Tammy, I have fruit. But, I also wake up once or twice a night. I eat each time! I have oranges and bananas and peaches. If I'm out, then I have toast or crackers. I also drink water so that might be part of the reason I have to get up!

bnme
02-19-2003, 10:12 AM
I usually ate a bowl of cereal at night, or grahm crackers.

Rachels
02-19-2003, 10:20 AM
You're gaining weight because your body is working hard and growing a baby! It's okay, I promise. If you're famished, you need to eat. Keep in mind that your stomach is squished into nothingness at the moment, so you are needing to eat more frequently. I had granola bars before bed. Go for protein-- it will hang with you longer. Eat something high-protein when you go into labor, too!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

etwahl
02-19-2003, 10:29 AM
Oh, that's a good point. I was going to ask you if you had any specific ideas for what I should eat during labor (my midwife approved eating during labor). Any good high protein snacks you can suggest?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Rachels
02-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Whatever you think you can tolerate! Early in my labor, I had bagels and cream cheese, eggs, hearty soup. I made a quiche ahead of time because it's high protein and appealing at any time of day. A friend of mine had lasagne. It's good to fill up when you feel up to it. It gives you stamina for labor and birth. Later, I couldn't eat (too busy), but my doula was great about pushing fluids: diluted juices, ginger ale, popsicles. It kept my blood sugar up. Even after my 37+ hour labor, I had enough stamina for really effective pushing. Eating is a good thing!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KathyO
02-19-2003, 06:57 PM
With me it was cheese, crackers and sliced apple before bed. Or popcorn. Siiighhh...

For food in labour, make sure it's stuff that sits lightly in your stomach. Imagine yourself as someone running a marathon... but make sure that you pack some more solid snacks in your bag for afterwards, especially if you're unlucky enough to deliver after dinner! I had only a piece of toast to see me through until breakfast, and was so famished I could've eaten my pillow, or the poor kid! My folks live here in town, and the joke is that for the next one, the price of admission to come see the baby will be bringing a pizza!!!

I know it's hard, but just put the issue of weight on the back burner. You really haven't gained that much, in spite of how you feel! And hey - there will be lots of time for long aerobic walks with the stroller when baby is here!

Best,

KathyO

etwahl
02-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Oh trust me. I WILL be sending our friends our for food the very second I'm able to :) And having a pizza brought in is not a bad idea!!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mamahill
02-19-2003, 07:15 PM
If you can stomach it, eat cheese or peanuts or something high in protein, like the others said before going to sleep. Same with once you go into labor. And good luck - you're getting so close it's EXCITING!!

etwahl
02-19-2003, 07:38 PM
I know I'm ready...just waiting on this little one to decide he or she is ready!!! Please send positive labor vibes my way :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!