PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Classes-What Do Your Babies Do?

twins r fun
02-19-2003, 10:35 PM
I figured out that our gym system/community association has a bunch of gymboree-type classes that are very cheap if I sign the boys up for a membership. They're also really convenient-I can go to one any/every morning I want all for the same cost. So DH and I took them to an evening session tonight to try it out before we sign up. They loved the equipment of course, but the structured part was way beyond them. They either stood completly still, walked off on their own, or let DH and I move them around to the songs but never smiled or showed any enjoyment. As I've posted before, their language skills are nonexistant, they don't mimic actions (clapping, marching, playing instruments, etc), and they're extremely "independent:)" The class we went to didn't have many kids in it and they were all older so I'm not sure if what Jacob and Caleb did is "normal" for their age (15.5 months). I'm trying to decide whether I should wait until they're older (like 2) before doing these classes so they would actually participate, or if I go ahead and take them regularly so they would catch on, or if these classes are normally just beyond the kids but you go anyway. I'm not too worried about the wandering off-that seems appropriate, it's just the lack of imitation and enjoyment I'm concerned about. I don't really need to go just for the equimpent since we have somewhere we go regularly for a free play type of thing. And although these classes are cheap, I have to pay for a year's membership for each of them, so it's not so cheap, I can just blow it off. So what do/have your toddlers or others in the classes done during these "structured" parts of classes at various ages? And what do you reccomend as a good age for doing these?

Nicole

I reread my post and I know it sounds like there is something wrong with my boys (like autism), but I think they are just a little delayed in some areas! Didn't want you all to worry that I was missing some signs!

egoldber
02-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Nicole, I have found that these classes are VERY instructor dependent. But they usually involve a set of structured activities, followed by free play, and concluding with another set of structured activities. The structured activities are usually circle time type things like singing, finger plays, parachute games, puppets, etc.

Wandering off is VERY common in these classes. I wouldn't worry about that. As for the lack of enjoyment, have you taken the boys to classes like this before? I always find that Sarah has a hard time the first few sessions of almost any activity I take her to. She just needs to warm up to things in her own time. The kids in the class were probably all accustomed to the activity and the place and it was old hat for them whereas it was new for your guys. I have been going to a playgroup for nearly all of Sarah's 18 months and the first few minutes of EVERY playgroup she STILL needs a few minutes adjustment period.

Also, if you went to an evening session, is that normally an active time for your boys? I know that Sarah would not do well in an evening class.

Finally, for Sarah I find that the age range of the class is more important than how old she actually is. Since Sarah is a bit behind developmentally, I find that she does much better when she is in the upper end of the age range (an 18 month old in a 12-18 month class as opposed to an 18 month old in an 18-24 month class). To be honest, I have sometimes taken her to classes she wasn't really ready for because my other mommy friends were taking it. I just modified the class to suit Sarah. I figured she was getting social development and interaction with her friends even if the class wasn't perfect for her.

HTH,

atlbaby
02-19-2003, 11:48 PM
Hi Nicole,

I agree with Beth in that I've found classes to be instructor-dependent too. As you know :), I take Arielle to a class on Wednesdays and Fridays at 2 different locations (both morning-nap dependent right now though...). They are both for age ranges 14-28 months, and essentially the same structure (play on equitment, circle time, snack/story, music). At the Wed. class, the number of children is smaller, and more of the children are around Arielle's age, and this seems to make a big difference in her 'participation.' She basically wanders around at both classes, but I notice she is more likely to sit near (not play with, mind you!) a child who is closer to her age/developmental stage.

For circle time and snack time, she'll sit for a few minutes with me, then go off and do her thing again, and I do notice the children closer to 2 years can sit for much longer.

And I also can't imagine taking Arielle to an evening class, so that may be a factor too!

If you do have a place where J&C can run around and you don't think they'd get much out of this then maybe hold off. Or maybe find something where they'd be nearer to the top of the age range.

I don't know, maybe my situation is coloring my views though--I'm feeling sort of silly for rushing to put Arielle in 2 morning classes this 'semester' when she still winds up needing to take an AM nap most days! Then we both wind up miserable if I take her and she falls apart...
At least they've had to cancel the classes due to snow, and maybe when we have make-up classes at the end she'll have decided on a nap schedule!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

egoldber
02-20-2003, 12:35 AM
I hear you on the naps. I thought Sarah had totally given up her morning nap. But ever since we got back from vacation, she has been reliably napping for 1 1/2 - 2 hours in the morning, FOLLOWED by an afternoon nap of similar length.

She did NOT take a morning nap at all when we were in Jamaica, so go figure.

Today, she woke at 7:30, napped from 9:45-11:30, napped from 3:30 -5:45 (because I WOKE her!!!) and she was back down for the night at 8:00.

Maybe this is just a phase. She actually seems much happier and is eating much better now too. Just when you think you've got them all figured out...

atlbaby
02-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Hi Beth,

(Nicole I'm sorry to hijcak your thread like this!!)

Sarah's nap/overnight schedule is nearly identical to Arielle's--and since Sarah is a 2.5 months older than her and still sleeping that way you've given me hope that Arielle may not give up her AM nap just yet! :) She is a completely different child if she gets 2 naps a day, *so* much more agreeable and she doesn't have this glazed look on her. It's not that I don't put her down daily at 10AM either--she just sometimes decides to practice her shreiking and jumping skills in her crib instead!

Basically, her (and my!) ideal day is her getting up at 7:45 and napping 10AM-11:30, then again at 3PM-5:45 (she can go on forever sometimes, though I'll now wake her at 6) and sleep at 8:30. She'll do this about 5 days/week. But whenever she sleeps unitl 8:30 AM instead, the morning nap doesn't happen and she's a wreck! And there is no rhyme or reason to when she'll sleep longer overnight it seems!

The other problem is that I've read that if you put your baby down for the night earlier s/he will sleep better/longer--and I believe it despite the fact that I can't understand why this is--but putting them down doesn't mean they fall asleep right away! So I'll put Arielle down at 8:30 and the majority of the time she's still awake in bed at 9:15! So who knows...

I just wish I could figure out how to make her more comfortable on the days she won't take a morning nap. Putting her down at 12:30 *does not* work though, that I found out the hard way--a royal fit!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

sweetbasil
02-20-2003, 06:18 PM
I'm definitely not speaking for all moms of boys, because some are REALLY into this when we've gone to Gymboree, but Kellen HATES the organized part, and he always has. We started in Gymboree classes before he turned one, and have done them periodically since (he's 27 mo. now). It doesn't matter if it's a birthday party or just a class there, or WHO the instructor is...he adores the free time, equipment, and, of course, BALLS, but really falls apart when we go to group time. He's ended up crying and running back to the equipment. When we're paying *that* much $, I'm sure gonna make sure he's having fun, so we usually end up alone (or with one or two other delinquent kids/moms :) ) on the equipment again. So after two quarters/seasons/whatever they're called, I didn't sign him up for classes the following session...all he liked was the equipment and the Gymbo stamps on his hands/feet/belly. I bought a few Bob the Builder stamps/stamp pads to stamp him when he got the urge, and we either play in the backyard on equipment or go to the park when he gets the urge to wear himself out.

We do make it a point to get together often with other kids his age, so he doesn't miss out on the socialization benefits of classes like this, etc....didn't want it to sound like I've socially isolated him because he threw a fit or anything! :)

twins r fun
02-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the information! I still haven't decided what to do, but have a chance to try it one more time for free. I will go in the morning as that is the time we will normally attend. I think the boys will be about the same as far as energy level though because it is shortly before their naptime (the delight and bain of our existance, right!?) I really wish I could go for a month or so and see how they did on a regular basis and then decide whether to buy the membership, but that's not really cost effective.

And Julie, I am beginning to really wonder about this (and other behaviors) being a boy thing! I thought there wasn't that much of a difference at this age, but going to play groups, reading the boards, and talking to Rachel (atlbaby) about her daughter who's the exact same age makes me realize that there does seem to be a difference. Any my boys are ALL BOY (and then some extra BOY thrown in)!

Nicole