PDA

View Full Version : Belated THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!!

SASM
02-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Hi Moms and Dads!

I just wanted to send out a HUGE "Thank you" to those of you who responded to my desperate plea (via Neve almost 3 weeks ago) for advice on how to get my very new baby to sleep, as well as other problems :-) I apologize for not having thanked you much sooner - I have not been online :-( I also apologize for not writing individual "Thank You's" - I had too many responses to do so - I am STILL reading responses!! Your advice was so helpful - I really cannot thank you enough!

In response to your requests, here are some BRIEF details :-) Ian Riley was born on Wednesday, January 29th at 6:27pm after over 72 hours of back labor and 3 hours of pushing (Unfortunately, I kid you not!). I still cannot believe that it was that long - I don't want to scare anyone - I hear this is quite rare. I am still not happy with my OBs!! I went into labor on Superbowl Sunday and my last day of sleep was the night before (72 hours without sleep - NOT FUN!!). :-( On Tuesday 1/28 AM (the contractions ranged between 2 and 8 minutes since Monday) we were admitted and then discharged from L&D for not being "far enough along" - only 1-2 cm. Then we went back on Wednesday AM and I refused to leave after not progressing - still only 1-2 cm. They gave me Morphine & Zestril to help me sleep and "take the edge off". The nurses were amazed that I didn't fall asleep, although it did progress the dilation to 3cm within 3 hours (they let me rest). Then, they broke my water and within 2 hours I was at 5-6 cm. YEAH...It was then epidural time (I was not considering one until I had 70 hours of back labor - I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ONE!!!). Within 30 minutes I was at 9 cm!! I started pushing about 2 hours later and 3 hours after that we had an "Ian Riley"!!

For those of you who have yet to give birth, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND having someone document "things" for you. Maybe it was just because I was soooooo exhausted right from the beginning at the admission, but I could not remember most of the important details of the day. I needed my husband to write down the events before my memory would jog back into its normal state! Other than vaguely remembering seeing Ian for the first time, all I could remember for a few hours after the birth was that I wanted pizza REALLY BAD throughout the pushing and I kept saying that I wanted "SUCTION" (ie, vacuum) and everyone kept interpreting it as "SECTION" (as in C-section). So frustrating...

Anyway, THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU to everyone who helped us out in our hours of need :-) Can't wait to get back online ;-) I miss you guys :-)

Sharyn
Mommy to Ian Riley 01.29.03 :-)

mamahill
02-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Glad you're back online. Hope everyone in your home is getting some good rest now. Congratulations on Ian's arrival. Sounds like it was NOT fun -- you are a trooper. Way to go! We miss you!

sntm
02-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Congrats on Ian! Man, what a crazy labor you had! I can picture myself asking for pizza. Hope he is sleeping better now and you are recovered from your many sleepless nights. Would love to see a picture when you get a chance.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

MartiesMom2B
02-20-2003, 06:03 PM
Hooray Sharyn!

I'm so glad that your back. I'm sorry that the labor was so tough, but you sound like a real trooper. I hope if the same situation occurs during my labor I'll be able to get through it too. Thanks for all the advice too!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

Momof3Labs
02-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Sharyn!

How big was he at birth??

SASM
02-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Hi Lori,

He was 8 days late and 7lbs 13.8oz. No idea about the head circumference size although I guess it was large enough to warrant an episiotomy. His head looks kind of small to me though. He was 21 inches long although I am not sure about this...at 2 weeks old he was 19 inches (x2) at the peds. I realize that all scales may be different but 2 inches! My baby shrank!! :-)

Sharyn
Mommy to Ian Riley

Momof3Labs
02-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Sharyn,

That was a nice healthy size! Colin was also an incredible shrinking baby - 22" at birth, 21" 5 days later. I think that the length measurement is so imprecise - but 2" off? Funny!!

Melanie
02-22-2003, 04:19 AM
Welcome Little Ian!

Mommy to Jonah

loewymartin
02-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Sharyn,

I think that Neve said you are in the Albany area. I am as well - I gave birth to Alia at Bellevue. If you want to get together at some point, or eventually do play dates, please let me know!

Congrats on Ian! I'm so sorry your birth was so long...I too had back labor and can't imagine it lasting for that long. I wish I had read the boards earlier and been able to support you while you were going through the sleep issues with Ian. But if you have any questions now, please contact me!

Michelle - Mom to Alia Jailin born 5/16/02
[email protected]