PDA

View Full Version : HOORAY!!!!!! Food allergy progress!

Rachels
02-20-2003, 04:53 PM
We just got back from a follow-up visit to recheck Abigail for food sensitivities, and she did beautifully! We still have to avoid some tough things: dairy, eggs, nuts, oats, tomatoes. I've been avoiding those already, though, so it's not the shock it was last time. (I even LIKE Tofutti Cuties now.) The good news, too, is that she reacted much less strongly than she did last time, which means that she's outgrowing most of these allergies. The guy was hopeful that she'll be able to drink milk in another six months or so, and that I can add in cheese even before that. And the GREAT news is that there were a TON of things she reacted to last time that are okay now, including most meats and fish, most grains, and lots of fruits and veggies. She also did okay with stuff like garlic, the avoidance of which has made it nearly impossible to eat out in restaurants. So I am a very, very happy mama, with a getting-better girl!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sweetbasil
02-20-2003, 05:06 PM
That's SO great...I bet returning to some sense of normalcy in your diet will be a treat! Congrats!

atlbaby
02-20-2003, 05:07 PM
That is such WONDERFUL news Rachel!! Speaking as one who has outgrown *lots* of food allergies, but still has a few difficult ones, it is great to hear she will outgrow many of them--and soon!
Milk is a very tough allergy to have as a child--I was one of those kids--so I'm glad she likely won't have it by the time she cares!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

mamahill
02-20-2003, 06:04 PM
WOOHOO! Congratulations. Honestly, one of the things I have taken comfort in during our tough times has been to think, "Well, at least I can still eat whatever I want - poor Rachel!" I'm thrilled that you can be eating more. Next stop: the ooey gooey pizza you've been deprived!

And Congrats to Abby too - I'm sure this has been anything but fun for her as well!

nohomama
02-20-2003, 06:07 PM
Excellent news!!! Sounds like you might be able to have pizza again before weaning Abby. Yahoooooo!

Rachels
02-20-2003, 06:46 PM
YES!!!!!! I just can't believe how good pizza sounds. Not even health-food pizza, mind you, but Pizza Hut pizza with the really thick crust and mountains of cheese. Ah. Well, not yet. But we get to order take-out tonight (very busy day, no time for cooking), and I actually have CHOICES about what to eat! If there weren't six feet of snow piled up on my street (about which, sadly, I am not exaggerating), I'd go out there and do a little dance.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

etwahl
02-20-2003, 06:50 PM
That's great Rachel! I can't imagine having to stick to such a strict diet. I can understand why you are excited. Have fun with your take out tonight.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

gour0
02-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Bread and veggies? It's about time! Maybe now you will stop wasting away! Maybe a non dairy pizza? ;)