PDA

View Full Version : Books on Toddlers ???

JulieL
02-22-2003, 12:11 PM
My son is 11 months old and started to show those toddler symptoms! I am an avid reader and wondered if anyone has any advice on a good all around book on toddler behavior. I just desperately want to help him. He is starting to get impatient with himself and gets upset at things and I don't know what they are. Thankfully the upsets are short lived. He has become very moody. Any help would be wonderful!

brubeck
02-22-2003, 12:25 PM
The Girlfriends' Guide to Toddlers (by Vicki Iovine) is awesome.

Also look in those medical books (I have the AAP book: Your Child Birth to Age 5) that discuss the development occurring in your child at each age. The physical development can give you some amazing insights on the emotional/psychological development, and vice/versa!

egoldber
02-22-2003, 02:25 PM
My favorite book is Burton White's "The First Three Years of Life". He is a child development expert and has a lot of great information and practical advice on how to best help your child develop in each of the major phases. It is not a long book, but I find it to be the one that I turn to again and again for advice.

I wouldn't wait too long to read it though if you do want to read it. He considers the 8-14 month phase and the 14-24 month phase to be the two that are MOST critical to a child's social development, so I would try to read it soon if you are interested in his ideas.

I like "What to Expect the Toddler Years" as a general reference.

I also enjoyed "The Girlfriend" book, but, personally, I consider her book to be fun rather than a real reference.

HTH,

atlbaby
02-22-2003, 11:31 PM
I also like Your Baby and Child, From Birth to Age Five as well as the Girlfriend's toddler years book. I received the Your Baby... book along with some other birth-12 months ones when Arielle was born. They are all previously owned books so they aren't the newest editions, however this one still seems relevant--and has great photos!

And the Girlfriend book, like Beth said earlier, is more on the humor end of the spectum. But I do find many of her suggestions helpful, or at least I hope they are down the road!

HTH,

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01