PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE ON THOMAS SURGERY FROM LISA (NIGELE)

mama2be
02-23-2003, 04:42 PM
She has asked me to post for her since she is busy with post op care...So many people have emailed me to check on her that I wanted to make sure you all knew what was going on...

Hi Neve,

The surgery went well but the doc discovered that Thomas didn't have a simple cataract. He actually had a defective lens which he was born with. It was structurally very weak and as time went on, a hole popped through it. This made the surgery longer and more difficult (2+ hours.) The doctor said these kinds of cases are the reason he has grey hair.

The post-op care is a NIGHTMARE. Thomas has to wear a shield over his eye to protect it from blunt trauma and to keep him from rubbing his eye. Well, he doesn't like it one bit and it is a struggle throughout the day and night to keep him from pulling it off. He fights us and we have had to hold his arms down constantly, almost restraining him. He has pulled it off and has gotten to his eye which is really frightening. He has three different eye drops/ointments which we have to give him 10 times a day and this is a terrible struggle as well. We have to take the eye shield off to give him his drops and it hurts him when the adhesive is pulled off. He starts to cry and struggle before we even get the medicine in, then tries to rub his eye. He clamps his eye shut as well so you can imagine what a hassle it is! When we are finally able to trick him and get the drops in, he screams again and we have to try to hold him still so we can get the shield back on, then hold his arms down so he doesn't pull it off. He is also not sleeping well - his only goal in life right now is to rub his eye. When he is sleepy, nap- or bedtime, he gets really irrate and tries even harder to pull off the shield and rub his eye. Simon and I are completely exhausted and are almost at our wit's end. Simon was planning to go back to work all week but there is no way I can do this alone so he is taking the week off. I'm sure we'll cope but everything seems very daunting right now!

Sorry I didn't get to you sooner but I have been so busy I barely have time to brush my teeth!

I hope you are feeling okay, being two days overdue! Any word from the midwives?

Take care,

Lisa

cara1
02-23-2003, 10:21 PM
Please let Lisa know that we're all rooting for Tommy. It's still so early, they will all get the hang of it!!! Remember how hard the first few weeks with him as a newborn were...You all will get into a new routine and hopefully he'll go along with the flow. We're thinking of you, and so glad the surgery went well.

Annette_C
02-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Neve,
Thanks for the update. I've been wondering how Tommy was doing but didn't want to "bother" Lisa by e-mailing her (I could imagine how busy she was!).
As usual, you're always on top of things!
Please tell her I'm sending my best wishes for a quick recovery to Tommy and LOTS of strength and patience to Lisa and her DH.
Thanks again Neve (BTW...how are YOU doing?),
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

atlbaby
02-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Hi Neve,

Please send Lisa all of our best wishes and let her know we are thinking of her, her DH, and Tommy! It must be so difficult to try and keep little Tommy's hands from his eye, I'm so glad her husband will be there to help her this week!

Like Annette I was also wondering how *you* are holding up--let us know if there's anything you need!

Best, looking foward to hearing your good news soon! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

mama2be
02-24-2003, 01:21 AM
Annette and Rachel,

Thanks for checking on me...I actually have felt fine this week-end just tired especially today. But about an hour ago I started getting some pains about where a bakini (how in the world do you spell bakini???) line would be. and Tristan feels very very active very low. Not a kicking but just a lot of moving, and a twisty turn feeling, so I'm wondering if he's up to something. It's alittle uncomfortable but not what I imagine a contraction to feel like, it does not start and then go away. So I don't know...It's a girgle feel...

You both are so sweet to ask about me...I'll keep you posted, my doula goes out of town tomorrow after noon till Thursday afternoon, but we are very prepared to go it without her even though I like her a lot.

Annette, I knew you had guest this week-end so I have not responded to your email knowing you were entertaining...i will tomorrow...I want to thank you for all of your info...I'll write you tomorrow.

sntm
02-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Oh, my heart goes out to Lisa, Simon, and Tommy. As if their stress level wasn't high enough. Send them my best.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03