PDA

View Full Version : First OB visit tomorrow:)

todzwife
02-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Can someone let me know what I am in for? Will they try to hear the heartbeat at 6 weeks? I think it might be a little early. I don't know. I just called and wasn't expecting to get in for a few weeks, but she wanted me there tomorrow. (I guess this Doc is really hard to get in with). Anyway, I guess I am really nervous for the first time since we found out. Thanks! I am sure some of you mommy's can ease my fears!
Shandelle :)

mama2be
02-24-2003, 05:00 PM
You'll probably have to ask them...I got an US on my first vist (and second)...and yes we heard a heart beat. But differnt docs do different things...

My first visit I think was at 5 weeks and it was because we thought I was miscarrying (hx of it)...

The second was I think 7 weeks...

I'd call them back and ask if you can have a sono...

mamahill
02-24-2003, 05:09 PM
My first appointment was supposed to be at 8 weeks, but it turned out it was actually 7 weeks (my calculations were off, I guess). And yes, they did a sonogram. I didn't get to hear the heartbeat the first time, but I could "see" it! I agree with Neve - call and ask, that way you know what to be prepared for!

Congratulations and have fun (and be sure to tell us what the due date is that they come up with)! ;)

August Mom
02-24-2003, 05:09 PM
Each practice is likely to be a little different, but at my first appointment I had to fill out lots of forms with background information (including pregnancy risk factors from both my side and my husband's side of the family), insurance information and consents for procedures. I then met with a midwife who discussed the importance of good nutrition during the pregnancy, the need to take a prenatal vitamin, and restrictions during pregnancy (her big warning was to avoid all deli meats, raw fish and soft cheeses due to the risk of listeria) and to answer any questions I had. We also discussed birthing options (the practice delivers at two hospitals with different styles) and she put in a plug for having a midwife rather than a doctor deliver the baby. (Note that when arriving at my appointment, I expected to meet with the doctor rather than a midwife, but the midwife turned out to be very informative). I was also weighed, had my blood pressure taken, had a blood test and gave a urine sample. I received packets of information about pregnancy, hospital services and various prenatal tests that could be performed. I did not have an examination of any kind. There's nothing to be nervous about.

Karenn
02-24-2003, 05:30 PM
I didn't even see the doctor on my first visit, which was at around 8 weeks. I saw someone that they called an "intake nurse" who went over all of the "what to expect" questions that I might have. I think she also checked my height, weight and blood pressure, but amazingly, they didn't confirm my pregnancy. (I guess they considered that home test to be fairly accurate.) I saw the doctor at 12 weeks and heard the heartbeat for the first time. I didn't have an ultrasound until around 15 weeks, and that was considered "early." They usually did them around 20 weeks. I've always wondered if my experience was a little different, so it's interesting to hear what happened with everyone else!

Edited to add: Do follow the advice about calling to find out what to expect at the visit. I know I spent the first 15 weeks wondering when they were going to do the ultra-sound and the next 26 wondering if they were going to do another one. :)

egoldber
02-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Every practice has a bit of a different style, but here's my experience with two different practices.

My first scheduled visit was at 10 weeks. I ended up going in at 7 weeks because I had unexplained bleeding. They did an ultrasound and all was fine and I got to "see" the heartbeat. FYI, that was a vaginal ultrasound which surprised me and DH a bit. At my "regular" 10 week visit, they listened for a heartbeat, but couldn't find it yet. I had to wait until the next visit for that. At both practices, the first visit was with a nurse practitioner who actually spent a great deal of time explaining all the basics about nutrition, things to do and not to do, and explaining the philosophy of their practice.

At every visit you will likely have to pee in a cup. I am sometimes amused at the different protocols that various offices have for the "pee ritual".

At both OBs, the protocol for visits was every 4 weeks until I was 32 weeks. Then it was every 2 weeks, and every week in the last month.

I had my "regular" ultrasound at 21 weeks. When I switched OBs when I moved, they did another one around 34 weeks. But typically, they do not always do a second ultrasound.

HTH,

todzwife
02-24-2003, 06:12 PM
The head nurse said that they probably will do a ultrasound, but there is no guarantee that we will see much of anything since my baby is about the size of a pea! LOL! I guess I am the most nervous about getting weighed! I think I have already gained about 5 pounds!Ahhh! I will keep you all posted!
Shandelle ;)

mama2be
02-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Yeah baby will look like a little peanut...but you will be thrilled with that...it will be the most handsome prettiest little peanut you've ever seen. To the nurse it might not appear "like seeing much"... but I bet it will be the world to you :)...and the heart will be strong you'll see it and that will be a huge releif!!!

How exciting...

sweetbasil
02-24-2003, 11:47 PM
One more thing I haven't seen mentioned yet...when I was pregnant with Kellen, the doctor asked how long it'd been since my last PAP smear...I didn't remember, so he went ahead and did it. It wasn't quite time yet at the beginning of this pregnancy, so I didn't have to deal with that. Seems like about everything else has been covered. Have a great visit! :)

flagger
02-25-2003, 12:18 AM
At 6 weeks, it is impossible to hear the heartbeat with a Doppler and next to impossible to see it on the US. It will be an internal US.

Also drink a bottle of water before you go, Ms. Flagger always forgets and can barely pee enough at each visit.

Also expect some blood to be drawn so the can do a variety of tests for everything from HIV, type, HEP B or C etc.

Most exams in the coming months are every four weeks. You see the doctor on average of 90-120 seconds. It just seems longer as he sits down before and after the exam.

Be sure to bring a list of questions with you, as you always forget to ask SOMETHING as you are leaving the office.

Congratulations!!!

sweetbasil
02-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Hope you're having a good OB visit today!

Best wishes,