PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about:child care vs a maid

mama2be
02-24-2003, 04:57 PM
I just found this soemthing interesting to think about...

I always feel sorry for the maids that clean our rooms at hotels who might get a little tip from folks, they're women, probably raising children on their own and yet provide us clean towels, beds, clean the toilets, etc... etc...

While the men luggage carreirs get what $1 a bag, consistently and don't effect my stay the way these gals do...

Need I say I am very PRO WOMEN!!!

BUT THAT A SIDE!!!!...My supper group was talking about the cost of child care the other night, and two of the gals pay about $125 a week and drop the children off at a private home, for what 45 hours a week atleast...actually maybe 50 since most people don't get paid for lunch and then the commute time.

Well most of these same gals also have maids that they pay a good $75-80 a visit for. When I ask how long is the maid there the typical response is 3-4 hours...

Just something to think about...we are paying (usually pretty educated) people to watch our children, feed our children, change our children, to provide a safe place for our children SO MUCH less than
we are paying possibly a non educated person to clean our home.

Anyway I was thinking about this and wanted to share...

sntm
02-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Good point! I keep groaning over the expected cost of child care except the moments where I realize that I am paying someone to be responsible for My Child. I want them to take care of him, protect him, feed him, entertain and educate him, and do this all for minimal cash? It's a lot of money, but not nearly what they are worth.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03