PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a baby CPR book?

etwahl
02-24-2003, 08:49 PM
I just remembered I want to take a baby CPR class, but they're full until end of March, and I expect it will be sometime before I'll be able to dedicate 7.5 hours to a class. Until then, can someone recommend a book?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Rachels
02-24-2003, 09:07 PM
Tammy,I have a video. I'm in Charlotte, but as soon as I get back to Boston I'll look for the reference. Or I'll get Clay to look at it for you.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

juliasdad
02-25-2003, 12:59 PM
Tammy,

If you do a web search, there are quite a few resources available to you that might fill the gap before you can take an actual course. For instance, the National Safety Council has a video available for watching [link: nsc.jbpub.com/FirstAidNet/showvideo.cfm?videoid=11|here], and BabyCenter has some written instructions [link:www.babycenter.com/general/pregnancy/newbornprep/9298.html|here].

Have you taken an adult CPR/first aid course? If so, the you have the basics and just need to understand the modifications to the technique and timing necessary for infants. If not, you could always take one of those before there's an opening for an infant class, too.

-dan

etwahl
02-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Actually I haven't taken an adult cpr class. The only class they offer in SD is a combined adult/child cpr class, which is why it's so long (7.5 hrs). I'll definitely look into the video. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

flagger
02-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Have you called around to the birth education department at the hospitals and birth centers to see if they have infant safety/CPR classes? The one through our hospital is a four hour class.

Ms. Flagger's OB actually recommended we take the class after the birth. The next class we found is 2 weeks before our due date.