PDA

View Full Version : May I join you? (long)

lmintzer
02-25-2003, 12:50 AM
Hi. I am a long-time lurker and infrequent poster on the Baby Bargains boards (my stroller-obsession keeps me reading even though I don't have a lot of time to write). I have been following the posts in this forum for a while and thought I should introduce myself.

My name is Lisa, and my ds, Jack, is 22 months. I am 30, and dh is 33. We live in the Chicago area. I was a full time SAHM for my son's first 18 months. I never planned to stay home quite that long, but we had a difficult first year with Jack which left me feeling too depleted to return to the type of work I do any sooner. I am a clinical psychology post-doc (defended my dissertation while I was 15 weeks pregnant) who was lucky enough to find a post-doc placement that would take me half-time for 2 years instead of full-time for 1. I am working with pediatric burn patients, which is a new populaton for me. You can imagine how rough this is (most people I tell either respond with "how can you do that?" or a blank look), and as a parent, it's even heavier. But, as I have a strong interest in researching and treating traumatic stress in medically ill/injured, I am determined to stick with this, at least for the time being. It really helps that my direct supervisor is also a daddy of a toddler. He and I talk often about the challenges of juggling family and career and about the impact of this kind of work on family life.

A little more about Jack, who is quite an interesting little guy. . . as a psychologist (who studied child development, etc.), I thought I was ready for parenthood. Well, I was ready, but I wasn't ready for our little whirlwind. From day one (born at 37 weeks via c-section), he was extra-alert and a poor sleeper. He then developed colick which lasted for 3+ miserable months, and his sleep suffered afterward, as does the sleep of many colicky babies. I didn't realize then just how off his sleep was--for ex., he didn't nap in the house at all, even as a newborn. He'd sleep in the stroller, in the car. I just kept getting more and more tired and frustrated at myself for not accomplishing even the simplest tasks at home. People would say "why don't you nap when the baby sleeps?" Ha. If I could sleep while driving or walking, I'd probably have done that. Jack didn't sleep through the night (even remotely) until 9-10 months, and even then, he was up nursing at 5:00 a.m. until around his first birthday. The sleep deprivation really took its toll on dh and me. We wound up going to the famous Dr. Weissbluth for a sleep consult, which was helpful in some ways. But it wasn't just sleep that was hard. Jack had serious nursing problems that lasted 4 1/2 months. I knew that establishing a good nursing relationship could take time, but I had no idea that it could take that long. We, thankfully, were living in Los Angeles for the first 10 weeks of his life, where we had access to some of the best nursing help I've come across--this amazing "breastfeeding Mecca" called "The Pump Station". The lactation consultant there really pulled us through. She was my cheerleader, my therapist, a shoulder to cry on, and gave us loads of good suggestions. Pretty much everything that could go wrong did at first--failure to regain birth weight, disorganized suck, latching problems, low milk supply. For 2 months, I pumped 7 times/day and bottle fed to get him enough milk. This was in addition to nursing which didn't provide ds with enough milk. I guess I have quite the stubborn streak, because our lactation consultant couldn't give us stats. on the odds of him learning to nurse that many months out--she told me that no one she had worked with for the past 18 years had ever tried for that long given similar troubles. At any rate, to make a long story a little shorter, he finally "learned" to nurse at 4 months, and I was able to basically give up pumping. I breastfed Jack until he self-weaned at 15 months.

So yes, a rough year. We also maxed out the life stress scale by moving cross country with a 10 week old, buying our first house, and dh started his first job as an attending physician.

Jack is now an active, very engaging toddler. DH and I call "personality precocious". We also have called him "high needs", "spirited". Other might call him "willful" and "difficult temperament". We try to avoid those negative labels.
At any rate, I resonate with a lot of the struggles people post about--especially those about sleep problems, feeding problems, loss of self issues, loss of free time. We've been there or are right there with you!

Sorry this is so long. I'm glad to join such a nice group of intelligent, kind women.

Best,
Lisa
& Jack, 22 months

sweetbasil
02-25-2003, 01:03 AM
WOW! You're a strong person and I'm really looking forward to getting to "know" you better- sounds like I could learn MUCH about patience from you. Welcome, Lisa (and Jack :) )!

mamahill
02-25-2003, 02:20 AM
Wow indeed -- welcome Lisa and Jack! And I must say that my first thought when I read "Pediatric Burn Patients" was, "Wow, how wonderful!" Sounds like Jack's first year wasn't the most calm. Here's to more peaceful times ahead!

gour0
02-25-2003, 07:31 AM
Thanks for posting! We are always happy to 'meet' new people! It amazes me what a wonderful group of strong people have gathered here and I am so grateful for all of the sharing. I don't know where else I could have gained so much 'experience' in such a short period of time. I hope you feel free to 'talk' any time!

Kate888
02-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Welcome, Lisa and Jack! Thank you for sharing your story. It's amazing what you have done for the first year :) I'm looking forward to knowing you more. I used to live in Evanston. Chicago is such a beautiful city.

Kate :)
Mom to Maya, 2-17-02

parkersmama
02-25-2003, 12:29 PM
Welcome! It sounds like you lead a very busy life. I love your term "personality precocious"! Sounds little like the way my almost 3yo has been behaving lately. :-) Glad to have you with us!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

VickiH
02-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Welcome Lisa and Jack! You are incredible! I look forward to getting to know you better. I too am obsessed with strollers!

Rachels
02-25-2003, 07:08 PM
Welcome! Lisa,I know what you mean about feeling that being a psychologist doesn't help you out that much with motherhood. I finished my post doc in clinical psych about 13 hours before I went into labor. Zoiks. I am staying home with my babe at present, hoping to one day feel rested enough to attack the dreaded licensing exam. I think that having the degree helps VERY much with research, which I now do a ton of, and also helps with figuring out the interplay between your own parenting desires and culture. But as for getting to skip over those tough spots-- nah. It's the same as the rest of life. Fortunately, there are always people here ready to give you a boost when you need one, and a laugh the rest of the time. Glad you've joined us!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Annette_C
02-25-2003, 11:46 PM
Lisa, welcome!
It's a pleasure to meet you and to have you join this wonderful group!
It certainly sounds like you've had an interesting first-child experience. Hopefully, things have calm down a bit for you and your DH and that you're now more rested.
Looking forward to seeing you here regularly,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

sntm
02-26-2003, 02:30 PM
Lisa, welcome! We are expecting a Jack ourselves. We've always joked that we would love a "Calvin", like from Calvin and Hobbes, who is "personality precocious" and a lot of trouble. Will love to hear what works best with him.

Your work with pediatric burn patients sounds fascinating -- it was one of my favorite parts during med school of pediatric surgery, though the one guaranteed to leave me steaming over some awful parent or caregiver who would hurt their child that way (luckily, most were accidental, though I've already sworn to throw away all my curling irons before Jack is mobile.)

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03