PDA

View Full Version : Gymboree?

juliasdad
02-25-2003, 03:00 PM
I was surprised to find very little in the archived threads on Gymboree play centers.

They've just opened a new one directly across from my office. We have a small gym here at the office, and DW would love to come in and use it once in a while. I was thinking of maybe starting Julia at Gymboree; that way, DW could come to my office and I'd take Julia to her session while DW hits the workout room.

Are these sessions actually worth the money they charge? Is it a waste for an infant who can't even crawl yet? Julia will be 6 months this weekend, and mobility-wise she is just starting to scoot backwards but will only make forward crawl progress randomly.

-dan

egoldber
02-25-2003, 03:10 PM
You can try it out to see if you like it. Gymboree has "free preview week" the first day of each new session. You can also get free class passes at most Gymboree retail stores. Gymboree has several classes, so you can definitely find something age appropriate. My DD liked the music classes better than the regular classes.

I have done a few free sessions at Gymboree for something to do. In my experience, the price was astronomical for what you got. The instructors at mine were terrible: lukewarm, more interested in chatting amongst themselves and not real good at interacting with the kids. So DEFINITELY try before you buy. Around here, my local county parks & rec has a TON of Mommy&Me type classes that are 1/4 the cost of Gymboree. So even if the class isn't so good, you're not out over $200!!! Also, around here, because Gymboree is SO expensive, very few SAHMs I know can afford to take their kids there. In the classes I have taken there have been a few SAHMs, a few Daddies and a LOT of nannies and au pairs.

On the other hand, in this situation, that may be OK as long as you know what you are getting and are OK with that.

juliasdad
02-25-2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Beth! I'll definitely look into attending a free class.

I wasn't interested in the music program for a couple of reasons specific to us. First, the early class is 6-18 months as compared to the 6-12 month play class, and with Julia just hitting 6 months, I'd rather keep her closer to her age group. And mostly, she gets entirely too much music as it is! In our house right now, we have a trumpet, alto sax, trombone, euphonium, 2 flutes, piano, keyboard, guitar, ocarina, harmonica, steel drum, ocean drum, cello... (DW and I met by playing in the same community music groups together)

I'll check out the parks & rec calendars!

-dan

LisaS
02-25-2003, 03:48 PM
We have been doing Gymboree since DD was 6 months - we started in the GymCrawlers class on her 6 mo. bday. DD has loved it from Day 1 - and even moreso since she started crawling and has gotten more active :-) However, even at 6,7 months when she was just sitting and scooting backwards (she didn't crawl forwards with ease and agility till 10 months), she absolutely LOVED the last 15 minutes of the class - parachute time, bubbles time and Gymbo the clown song and dance - for these things alone, it was well worth it. But even for non-mobile babies, the teachers do age appropriate activities - put all the babies on an "air log" and rock them...take them down slides and also do lots of activities to encourage crawling. For under 6 months, I'd say its a waste - its more for the parents than the baby (not that it doesn't have value as a way to meet other parents, but there are less expensive options)

The teachers at my Gymboree are fabulous - but I can see how that can be a big variable - my DD really likes hers - the same teachers try to stick with the same group of kids - so they teach gymcrawlers, then gym walkers, and the next...so usually, if you find a teacher you like, you can have her for a while. Our teacher also makes home visits for bday parties. Definitely go for a trial and see what you think.

I also love that the equipment is all new, clean and in good condition. My class is probably abt 50/50 mommies/nannies.

I pay $200 for 12 classes - but upon renewing my class membership, I got a free HUGE Gymbo clown doll ($35 value) - they always have promos of some sort - and you get coupons to use on the clothes and toys. 6 classes is $120. Also, you can take advantage of "Open Gym" time - 4-5 times a week, the Gymboree space is open to all members to use the equipment - I try to bring DD once a week to crawl around and play on the slide, in the tunnels, etc. I can't go more than that because most of the open gym times are during DDs nap times, but just that extra once a week is fun and she then gets more comfortable with the equipment and becomes more adventurous the next class.

We have also done baby yoga & massage classes, swimming classes, art classes (I think these are best left for 18mo.s - 2 years +) and music classes, none of which DD liked nearly as much as Gymboree.

Enjoy your free trial and let us know how Julia likes Gymboree.

trumansmom
02-25-2003, 04:34 PM
We started Truman in the Gymbabies group when he was around 2 or 3 months old, and he loved it. Then the class schedules didn't work with our schedules, so we just started again in the Gymrunnners or climbers or something like that, when he was 13 months old and he loves it again. I agree that the instructor makes all the difference, so maybe you could observe a group before you enroll?

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

cara1
02-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Dan, I have to ask, what's a euphonium?

jenmcadams
02-25-2003, 05:57 PM
We've been doing Gymboree with Abbie since she was 3 months old -- she "graduated" from GymBabies to GymCrawlers at 5 months and I have to say has a lot more fun at Gymcrawlers. I've really liked it and found the value to be pretty decejt. I pay $160 for 12 weeks (I think I had to pay a one-time $35 fee the first time we registered) and can attend my primary class each week and as many bonus classes as I like during that 12 week time. I'm a SAHM, so the bonus classes on weekends allows my DH to go to class with Abbie too.

Instructors are very important, especially for Abbie, but I think the classes are just as good for me as for Abbie. Our classes are abour 80% moms/dads and 20% nannies. Being a first time parent, I love being able to talk to both the SAHParents and the nannies about development issues, problems or just chat.

HTH,

Jen
Mom to Abbie 8/29/02

juliasdad
02-25-2003, 06:09 PM
My main instrument. Click [link:www.euphonium.net|here] for some more info!

-dan

mary b
02-25-2003, 06:11 PM
I second calling the rec centers and parks. We have one community center that I found (not even ours) that has TONS of Gymboree type classes for $3-4 a class. They have the open gym for Free if you live in the community and $2 if not.

mary