PDA

View Full Version : Registering a Domain Name??

VickiH
02-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Has anyone ever done this? I'm thinking of starting my own business if I don't go back to work, and wanted to register the name for a website. There are so many services that do this and I am overwhelmed! Can anyone recommend a domain registration site?

Thanks!

mamahill
02-26-2003, 04:01 PM
I use register.com. I don't remember why, but I know at the time I had looked at several sites. My biggest concern was using a site that was reputable and would be around for a while. You can probably get a cheaper deal elsewhere, but reliability was important to me.

Also, you didn't ask, but I use featureprice.com to host the site. They have pretty good deals and the support is generally good. They had an outage due to flooding last year and the sites they hosted were down for 2 days. In response, they credited our accounts with 3 months free service. I was glad they compensated with that.

Not sure what kind of computer you're using, but we've got a Mac and so Fetch is free (FTP software). Fetch is very easy and I love it.

If you have further questions, feel free to post or email me.

flagger
02-26-2003, 05:42 PM
I use www.amzweb.com to host both www.flaggshipweims.com and www.stayathomeparents.us.

They use GoDaddy.com as their registrar. Even if you don't use them as a host, GoDaddy is one of the cheapest registrars around.

dd_ani
02-26-2003, 08:12 PM
DH's businesses are webbased. We use directnic.com

Michelle

mamahill
02-27-2003, 03:15 PM
Not sure if you're still interested, but I'd like to amend my earlier statement and say do NOT use featureprice.com. Due to some events over the past couple days, I am shopping for a NEW host. Will look at what others have recommended. Good luck!