PDA

View Full Version : Love where these boards have gone...

Rachels
02-26-2003, 11:43 PM
I loved the BBB boards before my baby was born, but am just really appreciating the friendship and warmth that has developed here. I remember when Abigail was born wanting to post a birth announcement in the Lounge, but I didn't because I wasn't sure how that would be received. I was just reading all the warm and excited thoughts for Neve on the birth of her baby, and feeling grateful for the community that has developed here. I'm so glad to be a part of this group. Thank you all for your many kindnesses.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

todzwife
02-26-2003, 11:53 PM
I have to agree, Rachel! This board is great! It's nice to be able to ask questions and get answers from experienced parents without calling my mom! I also want to say THANKS!
Shandelle:)

mharling
02-26-2003, 11:55 PM
I am very excited to have found these boards. I have learned a ton from you and other frequent posters. As a newer member, I can certainly thank you for helping make these boards what they are!

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

gour0
02-27-2003, 09:47 AM
Me too, me too. BTW Rachel, how is Abigail sleeping/eating lately? I've been wanting to ask.

egoldber
02-27-2003, 11:37 AM
I agree! The feel of the boards has definitely become much warmer over the last year. I love coming here! It's so funny, DH always asks me, "what's up with those Baby Bargains people you talk to?" I share many of the stories here with him and he wants to know what's going on too!

atlbaby
02-27-2003, 11:46 AM
I've only been here for a few months so I can't compare to way back like some of you, but I so love it here! I've met such wonderful friends :) and I love how people share their triumphs and can get support for their heartaches and difficulites as well.

I wish I'd known about the boards while I was pregnant with Arielle and in her infancy--I would have crossed more than a few worries off my list that I thought too silly to call the doctor about!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

sweetbasil
02-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Hey, everyone~
Our computer went out yesterday, and I had already realized how great these boards were, but it now means even more to me since I won't be able to access them from home for a while. I told DH that it's going to be really hard without a computer for however long this takes, b/c I've got friends all over the country and I'm missing out on what's going on in their lives....Thanks, all, for being so warm, welcoming, and caring!

Rachels
02-27-2003, 12:36 PM
Thanks, Stacey! She's still waking up a zillion times a night. She's teething like crazy, though, so it's hard for me to assess what's up. Her belly stuff does seem to be MUCH better. We also got good news that her food sensitivities have lessened quite a bit, so I am enjoying a MUCH more varied diet. She seems to be tolerating it pretty well, too, tummy-wise. I am sort of resigned at the moment to just not having a child who sleeps. But it's definitely tough.

My mantra these days is that I signed on for ALL the parts of this parenting job, not just the easy ones.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

atlbaby
02-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Ooooh Rachel, I *like* your mantra--I needed to hear something along those lines, because it's sure been a tough week around here! I'll be saying that to myself the rest of today...

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

VickiH
02-27-2003, 02:08 PM
I agree. On some other boards I've been to I never really felt welcomed. Here everyone is so warm, caring and accepting of everyone else, and I never had any qualms about jumping right it. DH makes fun of me 'cause I spend so much time "visiting". He's always asking how the "web babies" and "web mommies" are doing. I am so grateful to have such a wonderful place to come to.

THANKS!!!!!!

mamahill
02-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Completely agree. DH knows many of you by name. Joel comes home from work and I say, "How was your day at work?" and after discussing that, he asks, "And how was your day on the boards?" LOL After a day on the boards, I felt like I've been at school. I have learned so much and have felt such support. You have made the tough moments tolerable and the happy moments all the more joyous. I think you all have made me a better mother, as well. Thank you everyone!

etwahl
02-27-2003, 05:29 PM
Couldn't agree more with everyone. These boards have been almost like my lifeline the past few months. I honestly don't know where I would be without them - certainly not nearly as organized and informed as I am now. I've learned so much, and even more importantly, have found such a wonderful supportive group that I know I can turn to whenever I need help. It's very reassuring to have that, especially with the fears and uncertainty of new motherhood looming.

It's funny, because all my friends know about this message board and even my friends are asking about all of you now.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

MartiesMom2B
02-27-2003, 06:07 PM
I love these boards too. I don't know what I would do without them. I love the fact that I can ask a "stupid" question without negative feedback. I love the fact that I can find women who have the same views as I do on parenting, and it's a great comfort to find that others have the same questions I do.

DH loves the facts that I'm on these boards. When we to a baby expo (waste of time) he said you probably know more than all of these booths here from your message boards.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You all make this as great as it is and I appreciate it!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

COElizabeth
02-27-2003, 08:06 PM
Yes, it's so wonderful. My sister and DH have gotten used to me talking about my BBB friends constantly. And now, even though my sister has 4 years jump on the parenting thing, I can often give her suggestions courtesy of all of you! I honestly find people here to be among the most compassionate and supportive I have ever met - electronically or in real life. Thanks for everything!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

KathyO
02-27-2003, 09:48 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. I so wish I'd found this place earlier - that first five months I might not have spent so much of the time tied up in knots of anxiety!! And yeah, my husband can't believe that we can discuss so many normally "hot" topics and not slide into flame wars or politics. He's gotten used to me interrupting his homework or whatever with, "Neve had her baby!" or "Can you believe it - Tammy's husband is being sent overseas!" and "Shannon's pregnant!... oh, you don't know who Shannon is, do you?")

And I can't begin to quantify the number of useful ideas and general feelings of oh-thank-God-it's-not-just-me I've received here. Thank you all, and I'm really looking forward to meeting some of you at the proposed get-together!

Cheers,

KathyO

mama2be
02-28-2003, 10:31 AM
I've been wanting to respond to this post but didn't have time to read everyones responses until just now :)...

Rachel I so agree!!! and I am so glad that you posted this. I think all of us make this such a special place to "hang out' and learn from eachother. I have thought this often lately and always go back to the post that Annette wrote asking us all to "introduce ourselves"...I think that post was a HUGE turning point in our "community". So thanks to everyone for making us what we are...but special thanks to Annette for planting the seed...and to you Rachel who kept us all together when we lost communication in early Jan due to technical problems on the boards itself.

I never saw the Ya Ya Sisterhood movie but must say lately I refer to all of us as the "YA YA MOTHERHOOD (BABYHOOD)" group...:)...

Andrea S
02-28-2003, 11:51 AM
I want to second everything already said. I like that you can post anything here and get different opinions from one end of the spectrum to the other and it never gets nasty. I started going to PP after my miscarriage and stayed there during my pregnancy and I quickly went into lurkdom (new word :) )because I never felt I fit in and there is never differing opinions without flaming.

I am going to try to become more involved I am always lurking, but do not always have time to come back and post, but now Andrew is becoming more content to play mom can have a few minutes with her hands free.

Thanks to everyone for their support, advise and humor.

What is going on with the purposed get together? I want to meet everyone and drool over your strollers. :)

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Annette_C
02-28-2003, 12:18 PM
Neve,
Thank you for your kind words but the credit goes to each and everyone of us! In fact, each person here makes the difference in the type of "community" we have achieved!
I agree with the rest of you on how this board has become a life-line. I was just telling Joanne in an e-mail how I've come to think of all of you as an extension to my family.
It's funny how our DHs know you all by name (I do the same thing when DH and my kids come home by informing them on the news of the board).
When Neve had Tristan, I made sure my entire household knew about it...by saying at the top of my lungs "Neve had the baby! Neve had the baby!" LOL
The same when Tammy announced about Evan...I was talking about it with my family as if Tammy were my sister.
The list goes on and on about all of you and your joys and sorrows that I feel with you.
I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive when I first joined because I was older than all of you and with two grown kids. I felt I might not be accepted in a "new moms" setting, although I felt like a brand new mom (after 23 years, can you blame me?!? LOL).
This board has been so much help for me (the first time around I was so young and inexperienced it's a miracle my kids turned out so well!LOL) as well as a big source of information. Thank you all for accepting me and making me feel welcomed.
I, too, am so lucky and thankful to belong to such a wonderful group of people!
Annette :)
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

ktdid74
02-28-2003, 03:26 PM
I've been lurking long enough so I should introduce myself. My name is Katie and I'm 28 and expecting my 2nd baby 3/31/03. I have a 2 1/2 year old boy named Brendan and we don't know if this baby is a boy or girl yet- I love surprises. Normally I'm a labor and delivery nurse but I've been out of work for 2 months because I contract too much(to make a long story short). I live outside of Portland, Maine and am officially sick of winter.
I found these boards when I was trying to decide whether to buy a Zooper z-street( which I did and love) and can't tell you how much I've learned from everyone and their experiences. My husband always thought I was a nut for looking at strollers constantly but I was finally able to show him I'm not alone.
Glad to be here!

Katie

megsmom
02-28-2003, 03:46 PM
I have enjoyed getting to know so many others and learning from everyone else's experiences too. I certainly wish I had known about these boards when I was on bedrest and first post-partum. Maybe I wouldn't have turned into the train wreck that I did if I'd been able to bounce ideas off of all of you wise women and men. I'm glad I'll be able to share this forum when I'm pregnant again someday and can have your support all the way through this time. I agree that this is such a different place than other email boards where people can openly share parenting views and not get blasted.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01

Rachels
02-28-2003, 04:28 PM
We need to get on the ball with the get-together planning! We were talking about doing something in August. I've been collecting ideas and will post something soon.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

ddmarsh
02-28-2003, 05:22 PM
I have also noticed a big difference in terms of the type of people that post here. People here seem to be so much more diligent and competent as far as their parenting, if that makes any sense. It's so nice to read opinions from people that you can really feel are thoughtful and introspective.

Debbie

mama2be
02-28-2003, 05:50 PM
I adore you...thanks so much for sharing our enthusiasm, and everyone who has just helped make this such a special time for us...I swear I am the same way around here...Steve knows all of you gals by name too (and the guys)...he too asks about everyone...now we are both trying to name Joanne's new business together too!!!! :) See her post in the lounge to help us :)

jojo2324
03-01-2003, 01:22 AM
I have to agree entirely with what everyone has said...Initially I was a little scared to post because I felt like I was so much younger than everyone here. Also, I was always asking the most asinine questions. But all of my questions have been greeted with true, honest, heartfelt answers, and never any hint of judgment. Thank you everyone for that. I also know that I can expect a well thought out and intelligent response to any question I may have. That is the one thing I really cherish about this place: not only have I gained friends, but I really appreciate the knowledge and education this circle has provided for me.

I have to agree with Neve, I think the real turning point here was when we all introduced ourselves...I guess we all became a little more human then. DH does know everyone here at this point. However, he does get a bit *grumpy* at the amount of time I spend here. :D Regardless, he always asks how my ladies are doing on the board.

And call me silly if you will, but you have all even been included in my lotto daydreams! I vow, if I ever win any substantial amount to money, to buy all of you your stroller of choice! How crazy am I? And I am REALLY looking forward to our retreat...but don't count on any strollers tagging along with me! :D

emilyf
03-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Hi Katie- I went to Bowdoin College and absolutely love Maine, am already looking forward to my 10 year reunion and it's not until 2004! And I have a z-street too!
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

sntm
03-01-2003, 11:39 AM
These posts have been hilarious! I completely agree with everything everyone has said. People at work look at me strangely when I get really excited reading about the newest baby addition or worrying about the babies in surgery. One of my students asked me how I knew everyone and simply saying "I read their posts every day" doesn't seem to convey how much I consider everyone to be a friend. Especially working with mostly men and very few people with children, I can talk about things with you that I can't with other people.

DH appreciates the consumer advice and the "bonding" I experience, but he blames all of you for the expensive stroller (despite the fact that he and his assistant both think it is the coolest thing on 4 wheels and has the Bugaboo video SAVED on his computer) and the new plans to cloth diaper. He knew I would find the designer clothes on my own!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03