PDA

View Full Version : HELP: ???:MW doing home visit Thursday BUT till then ????s

mama2be
02-27-2003, 01:06 AM
Ah I told myself I wouldn't answer the phone, make any out bound calls or get on the computer today (I only have 16 minutes to go!!!!)...just joking...

BUT have a question to tie me over till the MW (I don't know this one too well that is coming) comes tomorrow.

My whole body aches more than I ever thought it could, I know birth put a lot of pressure everywhere and I should expect this BUT I also know that folks go thru a lot longer labors than I and can't say I have ever noticed my girl friends post partum not even able to move. I mean I really feel like I can barely move. Especially when in bed, I can't roll over, I can't really pick up my legs, my arms won't even give me support they give out. To just turn around is the largest feat. To go up the stairs takes major leaning on the armrail...my leg fell over the side of the bed and Steve actually had to pick it up I couldn't gather the muscle to lift it.

They didn't give me any take home pain scripts??? Could it be because I am not in the hospital getting pain meds, could it be that the anesthesiologist missed the mark when he gave me the epidural (which he did)??? Case in point, I am sitting in the chiar right now, but it will take everyhting to get up, I feel like the muscles in my legs are not there...I couldn't even roll over without Steve actually picking me up with my arms around his neck about an hour ago to look over at Tristan. Just sliding my leg into fresh underwear takes so much time and effort. I think it has gotten worse in the past few hours. This is what I imagine if ones muscles were to give out all together.

I just took two Tylenol, but can't help but wonder is this normal.

I am so lucky my DH is playing nurse to Tristan and to me...and doing everything...I am almost worthless...

Any advice...or reassurance...
Thanks in advance!!!

kathsmom
02-27-2003, 01:26 AM
Yikes! I would definitely let your midwife know about any concerns you may have, especially all of the things you are going through! I remember being sore where the baby comes from, and I did need help getting up some, but I don't remember it being anywhere near what you are describing. You may just be super tired. I was in the hospital for 2 days with DD and DS. I was in the bed most of the time and popping Loritab any time they would give it to me. My mom did have to help me those first 2 days with the shower, because I was unsteady due to the meds.

Please don't go anywhere or do anything without Steve knowing where you are going or what you are doing. I don't want you to get hurt. Please tell your midwife ALL of your concerns, aches, pains, etc. That's what she is there for. Let us know what she says. Until then take care of yourself!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

danielleh
02-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Hi,

Congratulations on the birth of your son!

I also had pitocen and an epidural and a fairly short labor and was very weak for a couple of days after the birth. I lost a fair amount of blood and the nurses weren't watching my IV very carefully (my husband had to tell them to replace an empty bag once and then during pushing the iv popped out of my arm and, again, the only person that noticed was my husband) so I got pretty dehydrated. Even with drinking ginger ale and water constantly, I was dizzy for about 36 hours post delivery. They gave me iron tablets for a few days and I don't know if it was that or just time, but after a few days I just felt the "normal" soreness and not the overall weakness. The only pain meds they gave me in the hospital were motrin every six hours.

Hope you are feeling better soon,

Danielle
mom to Jimmy born 8/29/02

jojo2324
02-27-2003, 10:02 AM
Hi Neve!!

I would definitely call your MW and voice your concerns. Everybody experiences labor differently, so don't discount this as normal, especially when you say you are in such pain. But remember too that your body just accomplished this amazing feat and it needs time to recover! And you are recovering at home, where you might be inclined to do all these little things that wouldn't even be apparent at a hospital. (Not taking away from the fact that you are home already...Quite the opposite, am amazed/envious that people have the strength to do so!)

I was fairly sore after delivery; it was really hard for me to sit up due to the my stomach just being worked like that for so long. Also, my arms hurt a lot too, I guess from holding a baby so extensively. Finally, it was hard to be laying down/sitting up because my bum hurt too! They gave me Motrin to help with the pain every six hours.

Again, I would definitely call your MW and tell her the situation. And put Steve to work! I know that he is already, but really! You need your rest! Just lay in bed and cuddle your lovely one. That is ALL you need to be doing right now. Feel better soon!

Andrea S
02-27-2003, 10:05 AM
I do not know if you will see this or not, but I would call MW. I had an epidural and pitocin. My labor was not too long about 8 hours and I had to be stitched up. I was weak and sore afterward, but now where near what you are feeling. I took tylenol for pain a few times while in hospital, but I was able to move around carefully. If nothing else she will be able to tell you everything is fine and you will not have to worry until her visit.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

nohomama
02-27-2003, 10:49 AM
Neve,

Call your midwife and, at the same time, don't be overly concerned. What's "normal" varies greatly from woman to woman, delivery to delivery. You just had the workout of a life time and it will take some time before you feel like you've got some get-up-and-go in you again. Take things slowly for the next week or so and revel in you new babe.

Also, try Ibruprofen for the your discomfort. Inflamation can contribute greatly to pain and Tylenol won't touch that. It also generally lasts longer meaning you'll have to take fewer meds.

parkersmama
02-27-2003, 10:58 AM
I hope you have already had your MW appointment and she was able to tell you what to do. Everyone has already given you lots of good advice.

Based on my experience, it sounds like you could be dehydrated. When I don't have enough fluids (pregnant or not) I often feel like you're describing (although not as severe). The key is to drink plenty of water or decaffienated drinks, get plenty of rest, and try to make sure you're eating enough. Remember that having a baby takes a lot out of you and so does nursing. You actually need more fluids (a lot!) and calories when you're nursing than when you're pregnant so don't forget to take in plenty. This is not the time to worry about losing weight (that'll come later!) but keeping yourself healthy.

Please let us know what the MW says at your visit!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

egoldber
02-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Neve, hope you have aleady seen the midwife and all is fine!

If not, I would call her and not wait for the visit. I had pitocin and an epidural and never experienced what you are describing. But everyone is different. You are probably just REALLY tired and maybe dehydrated. I remember being on top of the world and riding this emotional high for the first 24 hours after Sarah's birth and then I CRASHED and was totally exhausted. Personally, I can't imagine coming home that quickly from the hospital, but more power to you!

Just take it easy and good luck! Get plenty of rest and drink lots and lots of water!

JMarie
02-27-2003, 12:43 PM
I agree with everyone else - call your MW and don't just wait for the visit. It took the doctor FOUR TRIES to get the epidural in for me, the third time she hit a nerve and my left leg went numb, but it all wore off by the next day, for the most part. Granted, I was also still in a hospital bed and could ring for a nurse anytime I needed to get up. I was taking Loritab, Motrin, and eventually shots of Dilaudid for the incredible back pain I had - apparently, you can pull muscles during labor! I was also drinking water like there was no tomorrow - not because I really wanted to, but because my nurse would practically pour it down my throat. Anytime you are given anesthesia, it dehydrates you, so start drinking that water! I also had difficulty rolling over and getting up, but I think that had more to do with the atrophied abdominal muscles than anything else. Good luck with the MW appointment, and let us know how you're doing!

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

sweetbasil
02-27-2003, 12:48 PM
Hope you're feeling better this morning, and that your MW offered instant solutions to your discomfort, Neve. Let Steve take care of you while you have that opportunity...my DH was a real help to me after Kellen was born, and I don't let him forget it. Take care!

Big hugs,

mama2be
02-27-2003, 01:06 PM
I still have not heard from the mid wives, but am awaiting their call to line up this visit that is supposed to happen today.

Thank you all so much for the advice, you all are the greatest!!! I am drinking tons of water now due to he great advice and suspect yesterday I didn't stay as hydrated as I should have (though normally can't go anywhere withoput a water bottle).

Sarah...thanks for the Ibuprofen advice, that might be my problem is that I am taking Tylenol but do have Ibuprofen...so I'll go take that. Gee wish I had Aleve (what used to be Anaprox) right now. My "coochie pain" (sorry for lack of a better term) is nothing nothing nothing compared to this muscle pain...

AHHH....she just called they are having anesthesia call me to see if it could have been this epidural and lack of them doing a "blood patch" from the the little boo boo with the epidural...

I'll keep you all posted...
Thanks again gang!!!

VickiH
02-27-2003, 02:04 PM
Hope you're feeling better and get some reassuring news from the hospital. I too felt awful after. I could barely move. It took such effort to even hold Michael, let alone get up and walk. My back hurt from the epidural site (even now it still acts up sometimes) and the pain "down there" was excruciating - I could barely sit for 2 weeks. I was still sore at my 6 week appt. I agree with the Advil suggestion - it's what the hospital gave me since I refused anything stronger.
Just take it easy and let Steve take care of everything. I know it's easier said than done.... And definitely call your MW again and voice any other concerns.

Feel better!

JMarie
02-27-2003, 02:31 PM
I SO agree with you about the muscle pain being worse! My girlfriends could not believe I wasn't more sore 'down there' - all I complained about was how much my back hurt. From what I gathered from those girlfriends, they would take the back pain anyday, so I suppose I should be a little thankful I didn't experience the other. It didn't even hurt to go to the bathroom! However, after the back pain subsided, it started to feel like my pelvic bone was bruised from the inside. I found sitting on the Boppy pillow worked wonders - I actually bought a second one just for Aidan since I squished the first one. Take care of yourself and know that the pain will subside - it just takes time.

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

Tondi G
02-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Call your midwife to be sure but take Motrin!!! It worked so much better for me than tylenol and it's safe to use while BFing! Good Luck! I had the same problem in the hospital.... I squatted down to get something from my bag and I couldn't get back up... screamed for DH (who was knocked out after being up for so many hours) he got up and helped me get back up! Once I got Motrin/Advil I was fine! Take care! Good Luck and Congrats!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

Magda
02-27-2003, 02:45 PM
Oh my, you are the only other person I've heard say that their epidural site still hurts. DS is 8 mo, but sometimes I still feel it. It doesn't really hurt, more like a little bruise.

I know what you mean about being sore. The only use I ever found for the Boppy was to sit on.

Elaine

himom
02-28-2003, 12:49 PM
Neve, how are you feeling? Is everything ok now?

mama2be
02-28-2003, 05:46 PM
OOOPS EDITED BIG TIME HERE....I MADE A TYPO THAT TOTALLY EFFECTED WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY AND JUST NOTICED IT. I MEANT TO PUT THE WORD 'WAS NOT ANESTHESIA RELATED' AND HAD ACCIDENTLY TYPED 'WAS ANESTHESIA RELATED'....SHHESH THAT TOTALLY CHANGES THE WHOLE STORY. SORRY FOR THAT ESPECIALLY FOR OUR MOTHERS TO BE...

Everyone thanks so much for your responses...

I am feeling alittle better today,thank god, none of this is from lack of sleep etc...I truely think it is just muscle pain from the pushing and pulling and bending etc...

My MW came by today and was suprised at how much pain I am in, and she kept trying to concentrate on perinium pain and abd pain and i was like, "I'm fine there it's my legs, arms and back".

They did have UNC's anesthesiologist call me for fear it was from the epidural and missing the mark a bit. He was AWESOME and really felt it was NOT anesthesia related BUT was conservative enough to say "maybe you should come in and get a eval". I told him I had a few percocet left from my hubby motorcycle accident and asked if I should take them. He had to cover his butt and say, "it could mask a problem...but if I were you that is what I'd do, but medically I can't tell you that"...

I took it and it did help...and have been too busy today to take one but need to just go do that...

Outside of that we are enjoying our little fella and just so thrilled to have him here :)...

Thanks for asking!!!

SASM
02-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Hi Neve,

That sounds bizarre. Can't say that happened to me (I had an epidural but no probs placing it). As much as I hated the idea, I made it a point to walk as often as I could muster after the birth. I totally feel for you. I hope that the MW was able to offer some comforting advice and PAIN MEDS!! Please take care. Enjoy every inch of Tristan and, even more, enjoy Steve while you have him there!

Hugs,

Sharyn
Mommy to Ian Riley