PDA

View Full Version : Gift for premie

Andrea S
02-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Some friends of ours just had a baby girl who is 7 weeks early and almost 4 pounds. She is doing well and will be in the NICU for 2-4 weeks depending on how fast she grows. My question is I want to send a gift ( they live in another state) and I did not know what size outfit to send. Should I send one she can wear now or something for later this is their second child the first is a boy. Also should I send it soon or wait for her to come home.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/41/02

deenass
02-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Send it now! My sister in law's best friend has triplets who were premature and she was very hurt that people didn't send gifts right away. She felt as though people weren't acknowledging the birth.

Gifts are also a wonderful distraction when your child in in the NICU and can give mom something to look forward to ... using the gift when the baby coems home.

COElizabeth
02-27-2003, 07:52 PM
I agree, send one now! But she may not need a whole lot of preemie clothes, because by the time she goes home she will be bigger, and she's not so terribly small now. You could ask whether the hospital is letting her bring clothes in for the baby, and if so, what restrictions there are (certain items may get in the way of any IVs or other equipment). Maybe newborn size would be safer, and something girly since she probably has a lot of gender neutral and boy stuff already.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

C99
02-27-2003, 08:36 PM
Send preemie clothes, if you do send something now. While she will gain weight before she goes home, she'll still be on the small side -- prob no more than 6 lbs by the time she goes home. Almost everyone sent us larger clothes and while they're great, its also frustrating b/c even NB sizes swim on Nate. I still have to shop for him and its kind of a bummer b/c 0-3 months stuff looks way too big still. Gap NB size stuff used to be branded as preemie, so that's a good bet. Carter's makes preemie sizes. Gerber has new preemie stuff. And Little Me makes some preemie stuff too.

HTH

todzwife
02-27-2003, 08:47 PM
There is an amazing website that specializes in preemie "stuff" www.preemie.com is great if you want to get something special. Hope this helps.
Shandelle ;)