PDA

View Full Version : A Way to Earn Some Money

twins r fun
03-02-2003, 11:37 PM
I've been meaning to post this for awhile, thinking some of you guys might be interested. Then I saw Joanne's post (about the business she's starting) and Toni's interest in doing something similar and I feel bad for keeping this idea to myself!

Anyway here's the story. You can sign up with companies via the internet to be a mystery shopper. These companies pay you to evaluate businesses anonymously(retail, restaraunts, and services). Some jobs pay well, some not well at all, but you get to pick and choose the ones you want. I make about $300/month just doing ones that I can take the boys on (which is not many these days) or ones I can do when my husband is home. Occasionally I'll get my mom to babysit for a day and schedule several for that day. If you break down what you make on an hourly basis, it's not a lot once you figure in the time you spend finding the job and reading the instructions, the time you spend doing it, and the time you spend writing up the report. But it's very flexible and more than you'd earn doing nothing. Plus it gives you an opportunity to use your brain!

I have a generic email written that I've sent to a few friends and if you want more info I can send it to you. BTW, this is totally not a scam or one of those pyramid schemes where I recruit people to work under me! I'm just sharing because I think it's a good opportunity for SAHMs or even working ones if you can find the time. My email is [email protected] or you can post here and I'll send you more info or answer any questions.

Nicole

mama2be
03-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Oh such a service is very legit!!!

Many companies use people to "spy" on their business to check and eval their customer service etc...

I know Carmax, many car dealerships, Staples etc.. use this service...I think it sounds like fun!!!

jojo2324
03-03-2003, 01:14 AM
I have heard of this, but didn't think it was for real...You know, one of those "Earn $28,000 from the comfort of your home! Sealing envelopes! In one week!"

I may email you and find out some more. I've got a few months before the summer season, and therefore my business, kick into gear.

And I just saw something about pyramid schemes on Oprah! All about dinner parties and appetizers, soups/salads, entrees, and dessert. I had no idea things like that were out there. But then I got confused, because don't Tupperware and Mary Kay work that way? Any time I go to one of those parties, the ladies are always asking if anyone is interested in selling. And then when they talk up being a sales rep, they repeatedly talk about the people they recruit and how they're paid a percentage of the sales. Sorry, I jumped topics, but if anyone knows, I would really like to know! :D

Melanie
03-03-2003, 02:48 AM
I've signed up w/ 3 or 4 of these companies, but so far the only 1 in my area was McDonald's...ugh...how do you ever make $300 doing this? I do live in the 'burbs, though.

Mommy to Jonah

twins r fun
03-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Well it does depend where you live-I live between Baltimore and Wash DC, but never shop the cities, just the nearby suburbs. Also you have to sign up with a lot more companies (30, 40, 50, or more). I think I'm signed up with about 50, but was doing pretty well at 30. Sounds like a lot, but I just did 2 a night for a few weeks.

Nicole

emilyf
03-03-2003, 02:32 PM
I saw that Oprah too! I think the difference is that tupperware and Mary Kay actually sell a product and those schemes on Oprah just involved handing over your money (and it was a lot-10,000 dollars I think!) and waiting your turn to get your share-so the people who joined late didn't see a dime.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

SASM
03-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Nicole,

Thank you so much for putting up this post! I have been wanting to look into this for a while!!

This is great for SAHMs because it gives you a reason to get out of the house!!!! :-) Plus, nothing annoys me more than going into a store or restaurant and getting horrible service - this way I can make a difference!

THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!!

Sharyn
Mommy to Ian Riley

kathsmom
03-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Nicole,

Thank you for thinking of us! I am definitely interested in something like this. It would probably be a little easier than trying to start my own business. I am still exploring ideas and names for a potential business. One thing this whole situation has taught me is that we need to be better prepared with our savings!!

I will e-mail you later today or tomorrow about information on mystery shopping. I have a pinched nerve in my neck and have taken a med. that makes me a little loopy!

Thanks again!

Toni

MartiesMom2B
03-03-2003, 06:13 PM
I have a business with one of the aformentioned companies that you wrote about. I'm a very skeptical person by nature, due to wasting money on "envelope stuffing" enterprises when I was in school (if your curious about what you stuff just ask). So I really suprised myself when I decided to go ahead and join one of these companies.

Anyhow, yes if you sponser someone into the company you can make a commission on what they order wholesale from the company. The company gives you money not the person under you (in pyramid schemes the person under you gives you money directly). However the emphasis in this company is to sell the product. If you are not selling the product actively you do not receive any commissions from the company and if you are not active with the company for a while you will no longer receive commissions from the person you sponsored in the company. In addition the commision you recieve from your sales is incredibly larger the amount of commission you receive from the activity of the people who you brought into the company.

I hope I answered your questions, without confusing you.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

P.S. Have you settled on a name yet for your business? It's a really good idea. Another good idea that I read about is taking elderly people out so they can run their errands, however I bet you need a high insurance policy for that.

P.P.S. Sorry this is so long!

LD92599
03-03-2003, 10:27 PM
You can also sign up with market research companies...companies that pay $$ for your opinion. I work for one of the nations largest and we are ALWAYS looking for moms to participate...it's usually $50+ for approx 2 hours of time. Never a sales pitch either...and it's neat to be able to speak your mind about new products!

Laura
Now 6 Days Overdue!
Due: Feb 26th, 2003

Virginia Dad
03-03-2003, 10:37 PM
We would be interested in doing that...how do you go about signing up with a market research company?

LD92599
03-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Not sure where you are located (Ok, so you're in Virginia! We don't have an office there) but I work for Plaza Research. Look in your local yellow pages under "market research" or "focus groups." Find some facilities in your area; call them and tell them you want to be in their database for upcoming groups. We are always doing studies on diapers, toys, baby food, etc. Hope this helps!

Laura
6 Days Overdue and counting
Due: Feb 26th, 2003

twins r fun
03-04-2003, 12:09 AM
I got lots of emails today-I was able to answer the ones that came through in the morning, but not the afternoon/evening. My boys tag teamed their naps today-yuck! Anyway I will respond to the rest of you guys tomorrow!

Nicole

Virginia Dad
03-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info!

twins r fun
03-04-2003, 02:12 PM
Sharyn,

Did you want me to email you info? I don't have your address so send me an email if you want the info. Or if I already sent it to you, just ignore me!

Nicole
[email protected]

twins r fun
03-04-2003, 02:17 PM
I just responded to all the emails I have gotten so far. If I missed you, send me another one!

Nicole
[email protected]