PDA

View Full Version : Mothers to be: my advice when coming home with baby :)

mama2be
03-03-2003, 12:34 AM
About 5 minutes after walking into the door after discharge from the hopsital I left a very very detailed message on our answering machine describing when Tristan was born, his height and weight and that we were all doing great. I was honest on the message and said that I was turning off the ringer till the morning and that we were all going to get some sleep. I also put notes on each of the doors that folks use to enter the house stating the same.

I have had such great feed back from doing that. So many people said that they didn't want to bother us BUT wanted to know details. And they all thaked me for providing them this info so that they knew we were fine till they could catch up with us.

My only further advice would be to do it the second you walk in the door and not wait 5 minutes like I did because believe it or not two calls snuck in during those 5 minutes.

This might have helped me more than some others since I came home within 12 hours after having him and he was born at 11:30 at night (so no one knew any info to spread the word)...

But hearing all of the feedback made me want to share how people really liked it...and it helped us too...

mharling
03-03-2003, 01:48 AM
That's a great idea Neve! I think we'll do that as well. We want the first little bit that we're home to be strictly 'family time'.

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

flagger
03-03-2003, 12:45 PM
That is a great idea Neve. I went to my first class called "Boot Camp for Dads" two weeks ago and the facilitator suggested doing that. I know with BellSouth VoiceMail you can do it right from the hospital, we plan on doing that. As the hospital is 10 minutes away from us, I might just do that on one of my many trips home I am sure.

Thanks for posting that tip!

MartiesMom2B
03-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the great tip. Will definitely do this when we get home from the hospital. Hopefully I will not forget to change the message back when we are accepting calls again! :)

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

KimberleyDawn
03-04-2003, 07:45 PM
DO IT!!!! DO IT!!!! DO IT!!!!
I didn't and I was swamped with calls and visitors! It was bad at the hospital since the baby was born at 4am and everyone just had to "pop in" on their way to work and then again on their way home. I didn't have the nerve to say "Look I just had a baby LET ME SLEEP!", then I was discharged the next day at noon and people were at the house within 45 minutes of us being home and the phone well I WON'T EVEN MENTION HOW MANY TIMES THAT RANG!!!!
GOOD ADVICE!!
Kim

LD92599
03-04-2003, 08:57 PM
We just changed our phone # today...so we're just not going to give it out to anyone except absolute immediate family! What a great idea Neve!

Laura
Almost 1 week late...and 2 cm!
Due: Feb 26th, 2003