PDA

View Full Version : Question for Boston moms

SASM
03-03-2003, 03:28 PM
I will most likely be traveling to Boston in a few weeks (or once the weather gets friendlier) with Ian. Are there any interesting baby-related stores, etc. in Boston or in the western suburbs (along 90) that you can think of (beg...beg)?? I am dying for some interesting stores - I feel as though I have been hibernating due to this freakish weather :-)

Thank you!

Sharyn
Mommy to Ian Riley

momathome
03-03-2003, 04:24 PM
I moved from Boston 2 years ago and I miss all of the fabulous baby boutiques there. On Rte. 9 in Natick, which is right off 90, there are 2 terrific stores, Baby Specialties and the Baby Place. Both places have carseats, strollers, highchairs, and high-end clothing. Further down Rte. 9 closer to Boston in Chestnut Hill is the Rugged Bear, which has adorable children's clothing and Kenzie Kids at the Chestnut Hill Mall on Rte. 9. In Brookline on Beacon Street near Coolidge Corner is another fabulous children's boutique called Fish Kids - love it! I'm going up to Boston end of April to visit friends and I can't wait to go to all of these wonderful places again. You should also check urbanbaby.com and punch in Boston - they give good info on children's stores in Boston. Good luck and have a blast!
-Lauren

sunny2003
03-04-2003, 01:25 PM
A new mom just told me of a free baby massage class offered in a maternity store in the Coolidge Corner arcade in Brookline (near the Coolidge Corner Theater on Harvard Street near Beacon) - it happens the first Thurs of every month at 10 am. Sorry, don't know the name of the store but wouldn't be hard to find once you get there since it is a small shopping arcade. I will check it out once baby is here and I feel I can get out of the house!

Viv due with #1 on 4/26/03

Rachels
03-04-2003, 04:48 PM
The best toy store in the world is Stellabella Toys in Cambridge! Great food around there, too.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

memedee
03-04-2003, 11:14 PM
A fabulous baby store is in Wellesley Mass.
Take Mass Pike to rte 30 exit. Take left off exit and follow rd to end then take right onto rte 16.
Two stores on that road One is called Periwinkles and has VERY good baby furniture most of it handpainted
,clothes and decor and the other is Abigails and that has mostly clothes.If you are planning to go to the Stoneham Zoo, there is a great store 5 minutes from there called Marcellas that has clothes, furniture and decor.
There is also Bella Baby in Newton Mass and Boston Baby in Newton Mass.
Boston Baby has furniture and lots of equipment.Bell has decor and some very cute clothes.
If you want discount try the Wrenthem outlets.They have several baby stores and Kittery Maine which is an hour outside of Boston.They have hanna andersson outlet which are very cute clothes.
Periwinkles and hanna andersson have web sites as does the THEBABYPLACE.com which was mentioned earlier.
Hope that helps! Also Scribble It in Newton same street as Boston Baby which does handpainted items for nursery and childrens rooms

momathome
03-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Oh, my goodness, how could I have not have mentioned Stella Bella toys in Cambridge?!?! That was our favorite hangout when we lived in Somerville. The owner, Stella, is fabulous - she runs tons of great programs out of her store and has a fantastic selection of unique and creative toys. Her son and my dd Liza used to go to playgroup together at the store when they were 2. Also, it's been a year-and-half since we last visited, but they always used to have a free drop-in sing-a-long for the kids every Saturday morning from 11am-12. Local singers come in to perform for the kids both familiar and unique tunes and the kids have a blast singing along. When I take Liza up to Boston for a visit in April, StellaBella is tops on our list to stop by. Also, very good casual restaurant right next to StellaBella's called S&S - it's like a diner and totally fantastic. Have a blast!
-Lauren

danielleh
03-05-2003, 04:48 PM
I would like to second the recommendation for the S&S! I used to live a few blocks away from there when I was in grad school and that was my favorite Sunday brunch place. Also, if you like ice cream, don't miss Toscanini's in Central Square in Cambridge. They make their own ice cream and it is out of this world.

Danielle
mom to Jimmy born 8/29/02

momathome
03-05-2003, 10:59 PM
Christina's Ice Cream across from Stella Bella and S&S is also amazing - their mocha explosion is to die for!
-Lauren

SASM
03-05-2003, 11:46 PM
THANK YOU so much, girls, for all of your suggestions!!! I REALLY cannot wait to go now :-)