PDA

View Full Version : Question for NYC moms (or those who travel)

SASM
03-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Hi! I am planning a trip to NYC in April/May to meet some girlfriends for the day. Ian and I are most likely going to take the train. I have a few questions:

1) Will a Baby Bjorn be a sufficient "restraint" (not that it is a restraint) for him or do I need to take his infant seat for the train? I am not planning on taking taxis because I really do not want to lug around an infant seat and base.

2) Is there such a place/store in NYC that rents strollers for younger infants for the day? Ian will be ~4 months old at this point and would need a semi-full-reclining stroller. The thought of bringing along my not-so-small Peg is NOT appealing. I don't think that either I nor Ian will be happy with just the Baby Bjorn all day.

My husband thinks that this will be an impossible feat for me - I want to prove him wrong! Any other suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thank you! :-)

Sharyn
Mommy to Ian Riley

anna lisa
03-03-2003, 04:01 PM
What city are you departing from? How long is your train ride?

I've never heard of a place or store that rents strollers here in the city.

I'd recommend taking along your Peg stroller and catching a seat in the front of the train car that has an open area (I know Amtrak and LIRR has this area). You can keep the baby in the stroller during the ride. You'll have plenty of room. Also, you can use the baby bjorn if the ride is long. A train is more like a plane, then don't need to be straped down the whole ride.

In Penn station, look for the elevator.

You should be fine.

egoldber
03-03-2003, 07:35 PM
I would take a stroller, but make it a really small one. I have taken the train from DC to NYC and it is really easy to do with a baby. There is plenty of room for your stroller on the train. I would be more concerned about the stroller in the city.

If I were you, I would skip the elevator in Penn Station. It was a MILE walk from the track we arrived at and it was absolutely disgusting. I would just carry the stroller up the steps with the baby in the Bjorn.

HTH,