PDA

View Full Version : Mommy (or Daddy) groups???

SASM
03-03-2003, 03:51 PM
How did you find your mommy group? I would love any suggestions. :-) I am new to my area and do not have a good grasp on it yet - not knowing the ins and outs. Not knowing many people in this area who have babies, I am desperate to get out and meet some people who share my situation. My OB office was not very helpful and I am stilla little scared of the LLL. Help!!

Thank you! :-)

Sharyn
Mommy to Ian Riley

MartiesMom2B
03-03-2003, 06:33 PM
Sharyn:

I asked this very same questions on Flaggers SAH boards. Suggestions made to me were to look up the following gropus on the internet:

Mom's club: www.momsclub.org
MOPS: www.gospelcom.net/mops

Also to check mom's groups such as Parents of Preschoolers at church or synogogue (sp?). People have also said that they've found their groups through library story times.

Good luck and let me know how the search goes!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

flagger
03-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Does your development have a newsletter or website? I found the one we live in has playgroups by age right in my own neighborhood. Nice to know there are other SAHP's so close.

egoldber
03-03-2003, 07:25 PM
I found mine through the hospital I delivered at. They had a "New Mom" support group that met weekly, and my playgroup spun off of that. I cannot tell you enough what a lifesaver that group has been for me. Definitely check it out!

HTH,

August Mom
03-03-2003, 08:40 PM
My mommy group is made of mommies who were in my childbirth class. We had a childbirth class reunion with mommies, daddies and babies when the youngest baby was around 8 weeks. Then, a few of us took an infant massage class together and then kept meeting weekly in a mommy group.

I would think that going to a Gymboree or other such class (or perhaps even a water babies class when Ian is older) would also be good ways to meet other moms.

Rachels
03-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Mine was hosted by the birthing center where I had my baby, but there are lots. Check the yellow pages under postpartum care. Also, often lactation centers know of area moms' groups, not necessarily breastfeeding-related.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

dogmom
03-03-2003, 11:06 PM
I live fairly far from the hospital I delivered at, but I was seen by a visiting nurse from the area after the birth. You might want to call the visiting nurse association near you. The nurse that saw me had a whole prepared folder with information, newsletters, mothers support groups. She also had contact information for lactation consultants and knew which pharmacies in the area rented pumps and had pump parts for my pump. She also had good freebies, i.e., just from the formula companies.

I've only been to a few meetings of my group, but it definately helps me out a lot.

-Jeanne

sparkeze
03-04-2003, 04:03 AM
Don't be scared of LLL! I really suggest that you try a meeting. If you don't like it, you don't have to go back. No one's going to be hounding you if you decide it's not for you. I got together with some moms from LLL and formed a playgroup. I think all of us are pretty mainstream, but we all happen to BF.