PDA

View Full Version : Anti-bacterial soap...

etwahl
03-03-2003, 04:11 PM
I've read on this board a couple times that anti-bacterial soap can actually be worse, because it gets rid of some of the good bacteria. But here's my dilemma - I'm extremely addicted to the Bath and Body Works line of antibacterial soaps (buy them like 12 at a time when they're on sale!)

So I guess I just wanted to find out what everyone really thought about it. Is it really bad? Should I seriously consider switching? And if so, does anyone have any recommendations for good liquid soaps which might satisfy my addiction? I love the scents, the texture, everything :) I hate "soap" scented liquid soaps (like ivory, etc.)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

MartiesMom2B
03-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Tammy:

If you are really concerned about not using anti-bacterial soaps, but like the scent from Bath & Body works, buy the shower gel and buy a pump and use that in the bathroom. Or you can put the shower gel in a liquid soap container. That way you can get nice and clean and smell good too.

I've also read and have been told by some in the medical profession that the anti-bacterial soap can be bad for you, in so much that they can be overused. I guess it goes along the lines of anti-biotics being overprescribed.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

August Mom
03-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Personally, I wouldn't be that concerned about it. My ped actually recommended using Purell. If you want a happy medium, you could keep the Bath & Body Works soaps at some but not all of your sinks.

Annette_C
03-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Tammy,
Sabrina's ped said not to use anti-bacterial dishwashing liquid when washing her bottles. She didn't say anything about us (the parents) not using AB soap on our hands.
I don't know if this helps but I just wanted to let you know what I was told.

Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

sntm
03-04-2003, 03:52 PM
FYI: Purell works because it contains alcohol, which kills the bacteria but is not technically an "antibiotic". In other words, bacteria can't develop resistance to alcohol (which dessicates them) like they could to an antibiotic.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

etwahl
03-04-2003, 03:59 PM
So Shannon, what are your thoughts on anti-bacterial soaps then?! And also, are you saying Purell is good or bad? I'm a little brain dead today :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Rachels
03-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Do you have a Whole Foods or health food store nearby? You can get some yummy-smelling stuff there. Keep in mind, though, that if your baby has sensitive skin, perfumy stuff on your hands could bother her.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02