PDA

View Full Version : Weaning from Swaddling?

kclm
03-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Hello,

We have been swaddling our 3-month-old; it's the only way he can sleep. I have a couple of questions though:

1. How long is it okay to continue swaddling? At this point, he frequently comes out of the swaddle. I had thought that was the sign to cease doing it, but when we tried to, he couldn't sleep.

2. When we stop swaddling, how can we transition him so he will still be able to sleep, since he's used to sleeping swaddled? Has anyone else had success going from swaddling to non-swaddling?

Thanks in advance!

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

Momof3Labs
03-03-2003, 09:07 PM
You might want to check out the book Happiest Baby on the Block - it specifically discusses weaning from swaddling. The first step, if I remember, is to swaddle with one arm free. When that goes okay, I think that you gradually increase what you leave out of the swaddle, saving the legs for last. But check out the book - it will answer your question specifically!

parkersmama
03-03-2003, 10:52 PM
I would think that a sleep sack might be a good way as well. It's much more confining than just putting a light blanket over him. He might still feel the closeness of it and feel comforted. We always used the nightgowns with the elastic bottoms and as my kids started to wiggle out of the swaddle I just gradually stopped doing it and having them in the gown with a blanket and it seemed to work okay. I do think it was earlier than 3 months, though, so maybe not as much of a habit for them. Good luck!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

mamahill
03-04-2003, 11:42 AM
I just wanted to say that if the only way he'll sleep is swaddled, don't feel bad about continuing it. We swaddled Ainsleigh until she (FINALLY) outgrew it at almost 9 months. I know that's a long time, but hey, it worked. And the transition wasn't nearly as traumatic as it had been on earlier attempts. It was quite seamless, actually. I just consoled myself that eventually she wouldn't be swaddled (although sometimes I entertained ideas of accompanying her to her first slumber party...)!

juliasdad
03-04-2003, 12:03 PM
> 1. How long is it okay to continue swaddling?

According to Dr. Karp, as long as your baby seems to need it!

> At this point, he frequently comes out of the swaddle. I
> had thought that was the sign to cease doing it

Nope. It's only the sign that your baby is getting bigger, stronger, more energetic and more dexterous. It means you need either a bigger swaddling blanket or some kind of fastening system (velcro straps, ace bandages, belts, anything you can think of that is SAFE. be sure to consider what happens should your fastening get loose in the crib, and be careful. I was only half-kidding when I mentioned duct tape in another thread, as I'm pretty sure Dr. Karp mentions just such a case example in his book!)

As someone else mentioned, you can try weaning a limb at a time; but your baby may self-wean without your assistance. If he's not strongly resisting it now and sleeps well with swaddling, I don't think I'd consider changing it.

-dan

Karenn
03-04-2003, 01:01 PM
I second this. I stopped swaddling Colin around 2.5 months just because I let the thoughts of swaddling him when he was five years old get the better of me. Now, I really wish I had just kept swaddling. My new motto with Colin and his sleep is, "If it's working, don't mess with it!"

flagger
03-04-2003, 01:27 PM
>>>I was only half-kidding when I mentioned duct tape in another thread, as I'm pretty sure Dr. Karp mentions just such a case example in his book!)

I think Tom Ridge says it would be ok to swaddle in sheets of plastic and Duct Tape. ;)

Just kidding of course.

juliasdad
03-04-2003, 01:29 PM
>I think Tom Ridge says it would be ok to swaddle in sheets
>of plastic and Duct Tape. ;)

And now, thanks to him, all the BrU stores are sold out of duct tape! :-)

-dan

flagger
03-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Someone should invent a colour-coded chart for what was found in the diaper. :)

kclm
03-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Thanks everyone! Does anyone know where I can get a velcro strip that would work?

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02