PDA

View Full Version : Birth Plans

MartiesMom2B
03-04-2003, 11:59 AM
I feel like a total slacker for not doing my Birthing Class homework (packing my bag, installing the car seat, and writing a birth plan). DH and I are going back home to MD this weekend for our family babyshower and we are going to spend the 4 hours writing our birthplan and a list of stuff we need to buy for the labor bag.

OK now to the point, I could've sworn that a few months ago that we had a discussion on birth plans and someone referred to a website with birth plan examples. I tried to look this up on the search, but I didn't find anything.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

P.S. So sorry that this is long and windy. I can't keep my mind straight lately. DH had to throw away icecream that I accidently stuck in the fridge instead of the freezer the night before.

gour0
03-04-2003, 12:04 PM
Did you try Google? I searched for Birth Plan and came up with a lot of different sites. I think the one I used was Baby Center. HTH!

juliasdad
03-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Definitely spend time on your lists for your overnight bag and your labor bag.

But I have a bit of a leading question for moms and dads here. Those of you who have been through childbirth more than once: did you do a birth plan the second time around?

I ask, because after going through this once, it seems to us that they are somewhat of a waste, and can even be a source of stress when things can't go according to plan. We did a lot of preparation in advance; I was reading at least an hour at night, every night, during the entire pregnancy. We did birthing class and were diligent about homework and practicing. We did a "bringing baby home" class, DW did a BF class, etc., etc., etc. And every bit of what we did, we felt was ultimately useful; except the birth plan. According to [link:www.babycenter.com/article/poll/results.jhtml?id=5774|this poll], we're in the ever-so-slight majority.

That said, BabyCenter.com has a birth plan form [link:www.babycenter.com/calculators/birthplan/QueryForm.jhtml|here].

-dan

mom2huskies
03-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Well, I don't know how helpful they are, since we aren't even ttc yet!
I did like reading the sites for information about some decisions that are better made in advance, like circumcision, and choices and options for pain control. I bookmarked a couple:

http://birthplan.com/
http://www.mjbovo.com/BirthPlan.htm
http://www.childbirth.org/articles/birthplan.html

Cate
ttc 03?

dd_ani
03-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Forget the Birth Plan.

Our birth plan consisted of: Go to the hospital, follow the Doctor's advice. Sure, we had an idea of whether we wanted an epidural and that kind of thing, but as for a detailed plan....! It certainly wouldn't have included the 20 support staff we ended up with in the delivery room or all of the other lovely complications we faced. But hey, things turned out ok, we have a lovely daughter, and as far as I am concerned, things were great!

Those who have detailed plans, in my expereince, tend to be very disappointed when things don't go as expected. And usually they don't. Have a vague idea of what you want, but don't plan everything down to the last detail. If there is something you are really adamant about, discuss it with your doctor beforehand or the nursing staff when you arrive, but if it becomes a medical issue, go with what the doctor recommends.

Good luck,

Michelle

MinnieMouse
03-05-2003, 02:11 PM
We had a birth plan and I feel it was essential. Dh and I decided early on along with our midwife that we were a team....not a health practioner telling two people what and when to do something.

We went through a list of topics that I put together from my readings, info from the midwife and online birth plans and made decisions about our wishes and put it togther in a neatly typed list. In fact we had two birth plans one for our birth center and one in case of transfer to the hospital across the street...which was good since we did get transferred.

You've already got some great links to info. Good luck. Once you come up with your plan, go over it with your dr/midwife so he/she understands. Bring multiple copies with you to the hospital. Have dh hand it to them when you get there and have one nearby to hand to someone if they try to do something against your wishes.

HTH

Christine