PDA

View Full Version : Morning (all day) sickness--please help!

atlbaby
03-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Ok, this is now officially my first (of many I'm sure!) pregnancy question. I so wish I had known about these boards the first time around!!

Anyhow, I am feeling really really crummy. I had morning sickness with Arielle up until around week 18-20, and I just don't know if I can take this again--I'm only in week 7. Last time it was more vomiting than nausea, this time while I throw up sometimes, I am struggling more with this horrible nausea that lasts from when I wake up till about 9pm. By that time it's so late and I'm too tired to eat much! I have trouble looking at/cooking food, so feeding Arielle is hard, and I want to gag changing poopie diapers--plus she came down with diarrhea today!! :(

When I saw my OB yesterday he said I should not let myself 'decompensate' (get to the point of severe dehydration/fainting) and that there are medications we can try. I should add that I was living in a different state for the first half of my last pregnancy, so my current OB didn't see me through this part the first time. One of my concerns is that I am a rather small/thin person to start with, and last time when I was sick for so long by the time I felt alright my OB was concerned about Arielle measuring too small. Thankfully, she turned out fine (over 6 lbs) and I suppose she just took everything I had! But we were worried for the second half of my pregnancy, and I would like to avoid that again if I can.

I'm sorry to go on like this, I won't bore all of you with the details, I'm just a mess. I'd love some suggestions on how to make it through this period. Has anyone taken medications, and have they been helpful? I was always under the impression that they are last-resort type actions--can they be used 'just' for terrible nausea?

Thanks for letting me complain, sorry so long!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

cara1
03-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Gosh, Rachel, I really feel for you. Give how I felt in my first trimester, I don't know how I could do it with a toddler around. I hardly ate anything that first trimester and actually lost weight. I couldn't deal with cooking anything. For some reason, all I wanted was take out (when I could eat at all). Very fatty foods (mcdonald's, fried chicken) were also enticing, which was weird because I NEVER eat that stuff. Anyway, the only thing that helped was making sure I always had something in my belly. I laughed when others told me that, because I was too nauseated to eat anything anyway, but sucking candies helped. I kept all my pockets full of sour balls, life savers, etc, and sucked them ALL day. Good luck!

Rachels
03-04-2003, 04:37 PM
You poor thing! Hang in there! Lots of liquids. Peppermint or ginger tea can help, along with little, frequent, high-protein snacks. The anti-nausea wrist bands are useful. I also good good relief with acupuncture. There's also a homeopathic remedy for nausea called nux vomica-- you could safely try that. If you need medication, lots of women take Zofran with good results. Phenergan is also safe but can make you really sleepy. (((Hugs)))

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jojo2324
03-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Oh honey, I am so sorry!! I had awful awful all-day (let's just banish the morning-only timeframe altogether) sickness for the first five months too. I tried those little wrist bands that have a pressure point...I ended up not using them because they hurt more than they helped.

I have also heard that just munching on saltines helps, or ginger. Here's a link for some lollipops that DH found; I never used them so I can't attest to their effectiveness.

http://www.preggiepop.com/preg/statelist.asp

Ugh. This is tough! I had always heard that the second time around the sickness was a lot less brutal, I guess because the body had already been through a pregnancy. I'm sorry I can't be of more help...I'll be thinking of you!! HUGS! :)

nitaghei
03-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Rachel,
I was nauseous and throwing up the entire 9 months!! I was on Zofran, 4 mg, 3 times a day, through most of my pregnancy. I couldn't keep down water even without it, and was merely nauseous with it. I tried to keep it to a minimum for the first trimester, but kept losing weight. Both my OB and my neurologist assured me it was safe, and I did do much better once I was on it. In fact, I worked full time until the Friday before the Saturday I went into labor. And Neel is just fine - the jaundice, BTW, had nothing to do with my taking Zofran.

Throwing up all day distresses the baby much more than taking a safe med, according to my docs. So I would suggest that you seriously talk with your OB about options. Zofran is really expensive, but Reglan is a cheaper alternative, and is also category B with respect to pregnancy. There are lots of medications that are safe to take during pregnancy - it's just that we get paranoid!! :)

Disclaimer: I am NOT a medical professional (I'm an economist turned lawyer hoping to be a professor) - but I have frequent, bad migraines accompanied by acute nausea, so I've had some experience with drugs that relieve the condition. And yes, I was one of the "lucky" (NOT) women whose migraines became worse during pregnancy (5 a week on average). I could not have made it through the pregnancy without medication - Zofran and the painkillers for the migraines.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

MartiesMom2B
03-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Rachel:

Bless you poor thing and with a toddler too. You get 5 stars in my book.

I feel for you. I had horrible morning sickness for the first 5 months. I still occasionally pay my respects to the porcelain God if I sleep in late. Luckily I still don't have it as bad as the previous poster.

I tried everything that was suggested to me, Preggie Pops, sea bands, gingerale, ginger candy, saltines, you name it. The only thing that helped me was Zofran. I was even prescribed a suppository prior to that but I still got sick while on them. Ask your OB/GYN about the Zofran. Especially if you can't keep anything down. Yes it is expensive, but my insurance policy covered everything but the $15.00 co pay, which was worth it!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

ddmarsh
03-04-2003, 06:27 PM
Oh Rachel, just reading your post makes my stomach turn from memories of my own similar sickness - I always wondered why it is called "morning" sickness. A couple of things helped me - one was the flavored water in a bottle that is carbonated and for the life of me I can't remember the brand (it's very common, sold in many restaurants?) and the other is the sea bands. I was never sure if the sea bands actually helped or it was simply in the mind but hey, either way it helped :). I know I still have my bands, I'll look around and see if I can find them and would be glad to send them your way.

One thing further that helped me in my subsequent pregnancies was sort of envisioning the end. This may sound a bit corny but I really felt that having experienced the limited time of the sickness helped me a great deal, just knowing that I could count the weeks.

Hang in there -
Debbie

parkersmama
03-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Like someone else said, just thinking about "morning" sickness brings back that horrible feeling. I guess it's like riding a bike...you never forget! What a yucky thing to remember!

I, too, had hoped that subsequent pregnancies would be better but my 3rd has been the worst BY FAR! For me, there's never been much actual vomiting but constant, all day long nausea. This time I had it until 14 weeks and then got a stomach virus at 16 weeks and had the constant nausea again for several more weeks.

The things that helped *a little*:
1. citrus fruits/tastes....this could be candy, juice, popsicles, anything citrusy
2. ginger candy...I used some hard ginger candy called Gingins. You can get them at Whole Foods and similar stores. They are also online at http://www.gingerpeople.com/
3. crystalized ginger, ginger snaps, and ginger ale...all of these helped a little on occasion
4. keeping food in my tummy...don't wait for that hungry feeling to hit, just snack/eat constantly if/when you're keeping anything down

That's about it. I didn't have a lot of luck controlling morning sickness. Although I wasn't throwing up, thoughts of food made me so nauseated that I didn't eat and lost weight at the beginning of all 3 pregnancies. Since I wasn't throwing up, I never felt like I could justify being on medication for it so I just suffered through that yucky feeling. I sure hope you can find some relief!! Good luck!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

etwahl
03-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Had the horrible all day sickness for five weeks straight. It didn't even go away when I was sleeping. I was a mess 24/7.

The one thing I was able to get down was chocolate milk (actually soy milk, since I'm lactose intolerant) but I downed that stuff like crazy. I really think it was the only thing that kept me going. I drank the "white wave" brand. It's pretty popular and sold in all major grocery stores. Oh yeah, since even water made me want to vomit (although I never did vomit, just felt like it all the time), I drank a lot of propel fitness waters. I think they have like 10 calories or something and not too flavored, but enough so that it went down quite easily. They have a bunch of flavors - lemon, orange, cherry, strawberry, and some new ones apparently which sound good also. The key was to drink them really, really cold. They taste a little weird when warm.

The weird thing is, as I'm nearing the end, I've actually found myself getting night-time nausea this past week. Starts early in the evening and goes pretty much until morning. I have been eating little meals throughout, trying to beat it, but still nothing works. I think for me at this point, it's just the pressure on my sensitive little stomach. I can't wait until I have my baby so I am no longer feeling all these yucky things day in and day out :)

Good luck feeling better.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

gravymommy3
03-04-2003, 07:29 PM
Rachel,

First of all, congradulations on #2. I feel your pain on the morning sickness. I had it with all three. I lost 15+ pounds with each pregnancy (fortunately I was fat to start with so it was not too serious). Mine passed around the 5th or 6th month. It was a very gradual lessening of symptoms.

There is an over-the-counter remedy called Emetrol. I hated it but it might work for you. Also, if taking your pre-natal vitamin is too much (I could not swallow mine), you can take a Flintstone's chewable (better than not being able to get any vitamin down). You may have to resort to Zofran or Reglan.

Do you have anyone who can help you with Arielle and/or the housework? Sometimes, just being able to stay in bed helps more than anything.

Don't apologize for "complaining"; you're not! I hope you get a little relief soon. Watch out for the dehydration and take it as easy as you can.

Hang in there.

Zansu
03-04-2003, 07:53 PM
I used Vitamin B6 and Unisom, which were recommended by my OB.

Both are safe (but check with your OB, JIC).

bluej
03-04-2003, 08:08 PM
I also used the B6 and Unisom. I think it was 1/4 of a tablet of B6 and 1/2 of a Unisom. It helped some. Peppermint ice cream also helped. The peppermint was soothing and the ice cream was calories and fat so I had something in my stomach. I hope you find something that works for you!

Jen

suzska
03-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Funny, lemon drops are one of the things that actually would make me sick. Before I was pg, I would use them all the time when my stomach wasn't feeling too good, but pg and blech! Couldn't stand them. Other flavors were okay, but not lemon. And not hard caramel-flavored things.

I was 97 pounds when I got pg with Evan (I was 97 pounds since high school). And I'm about 5'3". So the docs were concerned when I wasn't really gaining for the first part of my pg'y. I was still queasy around 12 weeks (and maybe actually dropped down to around 92 lbs.) and not getting better, but rather worse. The OB put me on Phenergan. Because of my size, I think I only took 1/2 pill (25mg) every 4 hours. Can't remember now, but it was half the dose. But it was enough to do the trick. They also had me go see a nutritionist, and I think the week after I started taking the meds I gained 10 pounds. The nutritionist left me alone after that. ;-) I woulnd't have made it through without the meds. Near the end I was taking it less often, but still taking it. And just before Evan was born I weighed 142 lbs! Evan weighed 7 lbs. 1 oz. (and was 16 days early). But he's just fine. And I'm at a more reasonable weight now. :-) Around 107, I think.

Don't be afraid of the meds if you need them.

todzwife
03-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Oh Rachel! I am due 10/17 and am having the SAME problem! I thought it was quite comical the way EVERYTHING was making me gag. I felt like such a baby, but I finally called my doc. I asked her about the unisom and she said no (for her patients) so I would check with your OB. Lemonade has helped me some. I have eaten so many crackers, I feel like a parrot! I know what you mean about the poopy diapers too. As a nanny for 9 month twins, I am constantly changing nasty dipes. My doc said that it *should* start getting better at 9 weeks. (we'll see) Anywho, I look forward to sharing pregnancy symptoms with you! Feel free to email me anytime! Feel better soon! Oh! And as much as food makes you want to gag, TRY to eat something, morning sickness seems to be way worse when my tummy is empty!
Shandelle :)
[email protected]

Karenn
03-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Hi Rachel,
I'm sorry you feel so yucky! You know, when I was pregnant, I was the only person I knew who had all day sickness that lasted more than 12 weeks. Even after the fact, it's good to know that I wasn't the only one! Just keep remembering how cute your new little one is going to be!

Here were my favorite soothers:
NAPS! NAPS! NAPS! The more rested I was the better I felt.
Peppermint tea
Sparkling water
Mandarin oranges
Milk

I took medicine once when I HAD to go to the dentist and didn't want to throw up while they were fixing my tooth. Apparently, it was a prescription form of Unisom. It knocked me out, but I felt OK.

Hang in there!

nohomama
03-04-2003, 10:02 PM
Rachel,

I'm really late in saying this but, congratulations on baby #2! I'm so sorry to hear you're sick. I had unrelenting nausea and vomiting for a solid four months and vividly remember how it felt. I consider the memory a form of birth control.

For me what worked best was PLENTY of sleep and trying to avoid letting myself become hungry. The nausea was always better if I managed to choke down small amounts of food frequently rather than going several hours between nibbles.

Get as much rest as possible and I'll affirm and early end to your all day sickness (I swear, some man must have come up with "morning sickness." I've never heard more of an understatement in my life!)

VickiH
03-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Rachel, I am so sorry you are feeling so waful. I can totally sympathize - I was sick my entire pregnancy. I found that snacking constantly helped - just keeping something in my stomach. Graham crackers, fresh pineapple, lemonade, lemon wedges, instant mashed potatoes, Nature Valley granola bars all worked for me. This is weird, but I also carried lemon wedges around in a baggie and would sniff them if I felt I couldn't get anything down. The smell of peppermint too. I also took B6 and ginger pills from the health food store.

HTH

deenass
03-04-2003, 10:52 PM
Talk to your doctor about a Relief Band ... you wear it like a watch around your wrist and every 4 seconds it emits an "electric shock" (not that uncomfortable in comparison to constant nausea).

It was developed for chemo patients. They don't know why it works, but the shocks send a message to your brain which interrupts your body's ability to process feelings of nausea and vomiting. I didn't get one until I was 14 weeks pregnant and it made A HUGE difference when nothing else would. I HIGHLY recommend it.

atlbaby
03-04-2003, 11:06 PM
Hi Debbie,
Thanks for your advice! The thing that is getting to me most now is that I have no idea how long it will last this time! If I knew I was half way there for sure I might be able to make it...but the idea of going till 18 weeks if not more is very daunting.

I've heard of these sea bands, but I hadn't known where to get them (do you just wear them? I've never seen them). If you could put your finger on them I would love to borrow them, and of course I would gladly handle the shipping etc. My email is [email protected], or I have private messaging service set up too.

Thanks again,

-Rachel

egoldber
03-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Rachel, how icky for you! When I was pregnant, I never actually vomited, but I felt nauseated all the time, especially in the evenings. It helped me to snack and not let myself get too hungry. If I was really hungry, the nausea was terrible. Staying rested was also key. Also, I had a few odors that really set me off and avoiding those was crucial.

My nausea magically vanished at 12 weeks. But if it had continued or seemed as bad as yours does, I would have had absolutely no qualms about taking anti-nausea medication.

HTH,

atlbaby
03-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Thank you all so much for your ideas and support! I am really touched at how everyone has been so helpful, especially since I feel like a little whiner! Now I have lots of ideas to try, and I hope something can help make things a bit easier.

I am relieved to hear that so many people have had success with medications, and that it is not as uncommon as I had thought. I think I will call my OB and ask him if he can perscribe me something, (that won't make me sleepy--don't need more sleepiness!) Zofran sounds like a good choice, so I will ask him about that specifically too.

And Joanne and Sonia, I checked out the Preggie Pops website and ordered some sour pops and ginger pops--since I was salavating at the sour pops I thought they sounded promising! :)

And Denise, when I am at Whole Foods next I will look for Gingins.

I really hope to feel better soon, so that I can enjoy this pregnancy more than the last one when we were so worried about Arielle's size. And I look forward to sharing this time with all of you!

-Rachel

twins r fun
03-05-2003, 01:05 AM
Rachel,

I have the sea bands and got them at the local grocery store (near the Dramamine and other motion sickness stuff). If Debbie can't find hers, you can have mine or it might just be cheaper to pick up a set yourself.

Nicole

parkersmama
03-05-2003, 11:10 AM
I forgot to mention before that my prenatal vitamins made me sick. Even taking them right before bed didn't help. When I told my OB he prescribed a vitamin called "Premesis" which is specially formulated for women suffering from morning sickness. He told me to take them right before bed and it did help a good bit with the actual "morning" part of the sickness. They are basically very trimmed down prenatals that have just a few ingredients (folate, b6, and a couple of other things). Anyway, just thought if the vitamins are bothering you this might help. Oh, and I switched back to the regular ones once I finally got over the morning sickness and they haven't bothered me anymore.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

Tracey1
03-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Nita,

Did you find something that worked on the migraines and was safe to take during pregnancy?

Thanks,