PDA

View Full Version : Helping a Child Adjust to a Nursery Setting

twins r fun
03-05-2003, 01:02 AM
I'm starting to try to get to the gym and leave my twins in the nursery. They are 16 months old and have never been in a "daycare" type setting. When we go out they are usually left with family and on a very rare occasion with a babysitter. I've taken them to the gym twice and it's actually 2 different gyms we've gone to. The first time (last week), they cried in the beginning and Jacob cried each time the door opened, but they made it the whole hour. Today, they had to come get me after 10 minutes because Jacob wouldn't stop crying. I came back and stayed with them for the remainder of the hour and they played, but kept an eye on me and wouldn't let me get more than a step away. Caleb probably would have been okay there, but fell apart when he saw me. They also didn't recover very well-were very clingy and upset the rest of the evening. Does anyone have any suggestions for helping them (especially Jacob) adjust. The nursery suggested bringing a favorite toy, which I will try. Do you think it is better if I stay with them for 5-10 minutes to help them get settled or should I just get out of the way? I was thinking about going every day/every other day for a week and taking them in the nursery, but just sit out in the lobby until the people had to come get me, but I'm not sure if a "crash course" like that would just freak them out more. Also they aren't really to the point where I can explain anything to them (like tell them where we are going and that I'll be back soon). Looking for suggestions!

Nicole

Magda
03-05-2003, 09:41 AM
I used to work at a day care and some of the things that we would do. A comfort toy is a good idea. Also you could stay for a few minutes the first few times so that they get used to the teachers while still near you (but I wouldn't let that become a habit). If you can try to give them some choices so that they feel they have some control over the situation. "Mommy's going to go now. Do want to say bye here or there." "Which toys do you want to play with?" etc, etc.

Elaine