PDA

View Full Version : I need some help re: my cat

sntm
03-05-2003, 03:56 PM
I'm having a really bad day. My cat, whom I've had since I was 10 years old, has renal failure and severe dental disease. I'm not home right now, but Chip tells me she is doing badly and has stopped eating over the last few days. We had accepted the fact that she may soon get to the point where she was suffering too much and would need to be put to sleep and it looks like we are at that point. I'm just hoping she can hang in there until I come home on Friday.

The problem is she hates going to the vet. It stresses her out a lot. We are having problems finding someone who can make a house call to put her to sleep, particularly on a weekend. The vet won't release the medication to me (even though I'm an MD, which I guess I understand) or tell me the doseage so I can try to come up with an alternative.

I remember that someone here is a vet. I understand if you don't feel comfortable telling me how we can do this painlessly at home, but if you do, please post or email me. I have clonazapam and vicodin at home if there is an oral dose that I could give her, and could probably get any non-controlled drugs from the hospital. She weighs about 6 lbs now.

I feel so helpless right now, not being there, and not being able to help her. If I have to, we will take her in to the vet this weekend, but I really want to do this at home, where she will be comfortable and more secure. Thanks, everyone.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

Rachels
03-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Shannon, I'm so sorry!!!!! How sad. We had a similar situation with my dog. Ultimately, the vet prescribed pretty strong tranquilizers. BJ wasn't even really aware when he was taken to the vet. The whole thing was very peaceful for him. Maybe that would be an option?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

cara1
03-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Shannon, I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to let you know how sorry I am. What's her name? You have already tried all of my suggestions. I'm surprised your vet won't just tell you the dose. Hang in there. Thinking of you...

mama2be
03-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Shannon,

I am almost 100% certain the vet responded to this post...I have a squirmy Tristan in hands or I'd go thru them...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=353&forum=DCForumID30

First of all I am so saddened that you have to deal with this...I hope that your "fur child" hangs in there till mommy gets home and can comfort her.

Since you're living in charlotsville (or atleast close I assume if you are at UVA) I would think there are tons of "farm vets" out that way. See if your DH can call some stables and get a great recommendation from them. My gut... knowing it's horse country out there is that you'll find one, IF you don't want to do it.

The vet you are referring to I know posted under Beth's post about Cokie...if you do a search and use Cokie's name I bet you'll find it and she responded to her I know wish I knew her name)...

By the way I sent you an email about those spread sheets...if you send me your regular email address I can get them to you ...

hugs to you- you and your kitty are in my thoughts...

Annette_C
03-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Shannon,
I'm so sorry about your cat. I understand how difficult it is to make the decision of putting her to sleep...
Pets are just as dear as family members (and, most times, nicer!).
I hope you get your wish of putting her down at home so she, and you, can be more comfortable.
Hugs,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

mamahill
03-06-2003, 12:12 AM
Just wanted to say I'm sorry you have to go through this. Will hug my furries a little tighter tonight. Will be thinking of you this weekend...

Momof3Labs
03-06-2003, 12:15 AM
Shannon,

Michelle (dd_ani) is the vet.

If you can't get someone to come to your house, ask if they can give you a tranquilizer to give to your cat, and then you can sedate him at home. I used to subscribe to a senior dog e-mail group, and many of the members had vets who did this for their dogs.

I'm so sorry about your kitty - we lost one of our Labby babies while I was pregnant, and it was particularly hard because I know she would have been so good with Colin. Plus, I lost my bathroom buddy - she followed me into the bathroom for each of my very frequent trips while pregnant.

jojo2324
03-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Shannon, just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you...I hope that you find a solution that will the most comfortable for you and your kitty.

sntm
03-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Just an update: my chief told me last night that the guy who runs the animal lab at UVA helped one of the residents when he needed to put his dog to sleep. I emailed him this morning and he not only agreed to come over tomorrow night, but refused to take any money for it. I am so grateful to him, even though now my heart is heavy thinking that I will only have a few hours with her tomorrow before we do it. I'm thankful though, because even though this hurts me so much, I know that I am saving her a lot of pain and giving her a gentle, peaceful death with her family. It kills me that we will never have to deal with all the silly issues regarding cats and babies. I was really looking forward to that. I'm actually sitting here at work crying. This is worse than when my grandfather died.

Thank you all so much for being such great friends and giving me support. Her name is Addie, by the way.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

egoldber
03-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Shannon, I am so sorry about Addie. I had to have one of my cats put to sleep many years ago and I still grieve over it. And when I almost lost my dog a few months ago it was awful. It's amazing how these little guys become such an important part of our lives.

Thinking of you,

atlbaby
03-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Hi Shannon,

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, but I am glad that you were able to find a way that is a little less painful for you, knowing that Addie will be at home in familiar surrondings. I'll be thinking of you and Addie tomorrow, and hope that you can enjoy the time you have with her now.

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

mama2be
03-06-2003, 11:40 AM
All 20 paws and 6 legs over at our household are thinking about you guys...give her tons of kisses and know she'll be watching you from above and seeing what a wonderful mommy you'll be to the baby!!!

I am so glad that you found someone to come out...I felt certain you would, and I am glad that you are not having to do it, this way you get to hug and cuddle her...

Hugs to you all...