PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a middle name!

mharling
03-06-2003, 01:03 AM
Dh and I agreed on a girl's name (first and middle) right away, but have been struggling with a boy's name.

We finally agreed on Lane for a first name, but I think our brains are too fried to come up with a middle name. We're thinking it needs more than one syllable since Lane is so short and simple. Please throw any suggestions my way!!! BTW, Lane is my great-grandmother's maiden name, so it's not important to us to have a family connection for the middle name.

Dh says it's a moot (sp?) point to come up with a boy's middle name, because he's somehow convinced that we're having a girl. We'll see!!

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

suzska
03-06-2003, 01:29 AM
I too had trouble coming up with a middle name, so I took the "easy" way out and used DH's first name as our son's middle name. So "Evan Jeffrey" it was. Good thing we were having a boy, because I never did settle on a girl's name, first or middle.

It's been a long time since I've thought about names, and it's late, but I'll see if I can think of any right now....I think you need either another one syllable name or something that's three or more. Anything I can think of that's two syllables doesn't sound right....But it all depends on your last name, too.

Lane Christopher
Lane Alexander
Lane Douglas (okay, that's 2, but it sounded okay so I put it down)

Oh, I'm out of practice! My boy's name list had about a half dozen names on it. My girl's list had over 80!

I'll let you know if I come up with any more.

mharling
03-06-2003, 01:37 AM
Dh is Mike. I think Lane Michael sounds decent, but he doesn't really care for it. Last name is 2 syllables.

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

gour0
03-06-2003, 10:08 AM
I also like Alexander and Christopher.
But, here are some others:
Alton
Alan
Andrew
Austin
Isaac
Jacob
Joseph
Jeffrey
Stewart
Stuart

You might want to play around with this site:
http://www.babycenter.com/babyname/

Rachels
03-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Anything starting with a vowel would flow really beautifully.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

parkersmama
03-06-2003, 11:20 AM
I think so, too, but be careful about initials that spell a word (like LAP or something similar). Some people don't mind and others do. I guess it depends on the word!

I like Lane Douglas (but I'm partial, it's Wesley's & dh's middle name). I think Lane Alexander would be my 2nd favorite of the ones mentioned. I'm not having any luck right now coming up with my own original ideas. :-)

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

bluej
03-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Well since this is the current name we are considering for DS #2, it sticks out in my mind...Ezra

Lane Ezra. I personally think it has a nice ring to it. Of course, as I already stated, I'm somewhat partial to the name Ezra.

Jen
Alexandra Laurel 10/8/93
Caden James 3/30/98
Baby #3 EDD 5/28/03

atlbaby
03-06-2003, 11:27 AM
I like Lane Jacob. But I am partial to J names, and love the name Jacob.

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

August Mom
03-06-2003, 11:31 AM
If you post your question here, I'm sure you'll get lots of possibilities: http://www.babynames.com/V5/index.php Be forewarned that some of the regulars at this site like really unusual names but you should get a variety of ideas anyway.

BTW, I like Lane Alton, but I wouldn't choose it if you're planning to move to Columbus, Ohio. It's the name of a law firm here. LOL

Other possibilities:

Lane Asher
Lane Barrett
Lane Bartholemew (I like the syllables, not sure about the name)
Lane Bradley
Lane Daniel
Lane Matthew
Lane Patrick
Lane Philip
Lane Robert
Lane Stephen

Good luck.

mharling
03-06-2003, 12:19 PM
I like Alton. (I agree, Rachel, that it would flow nicely if the middle name started with a vowel.) And I don't think Columbus is in our future.....

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

cara1
03-06-2003, 12:30 PM
I know you didn't need another "family name", but DS's middle name is my unmarried surname. I suspect we'll do the same thing with Baby #2.

SASM
03-06-2003, 12:33 PM
I can definitely relate - my DH and I had been struggling with boy's names for YEARS!! We kept veto-ing the other's suggestions. We finally decided on a middle name, after quite some debate 5 minutes after the birth, the day before discharge. :-) Couldn't be happier with the name - it WILL come to you, really!

What are your families' "ethnicities"? Maybe an Irish, Scottish, Italian...name in the middle :-) There are some really great names out there.

Some books that I found useful: "The Very Best Baby Name Book" by Bruce Lansky and "From Aaron to Zoe". A good way that I judged a book was to see if my name, my DH's name and my girlfriend's name were in the book (my husband and I have unique spellings and my girlfriend has a unique name). Go through the book several times at different sittings. I never noticed Ian's middle name until we saw it in public (and it was in both books).

You probably already are but just keep your eyes open. Sit through movie credits. Look at name badges. The "right" name may pop up when you least expect it :-) Good luck!!