PDA

View Full Version : Stripping the membranes recommended?

etwahl
03-06-2003, 06:48 PM
This is something I JUST heard about. A friend of mine told me a bunch of her friends had their membranes stripped and that it hurt like heck. When I was at my midwife this week, she said if I wanted, she would strip my membranes on my next appointment (Tuesday). I don't think I want this done though, do I? Since I really hadn't heard about this until now, I was just curious. By the way, she just felt my stomach (don't know how accurate that is) and said she thought our baby would be about 8.5 pounds.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

parkersmama
03-06-2003, 06:56 PM
I've never had my membranes stripped but I'm thinking this is done to encourage the bag of waters to go ahead and break. If you are hoping for a natural delivery, I'd avoid doing this. Labor is a lot harder (contractions hurt worse) after your water breaks because there isn't as much cushioning. My water has broken as the onset of labor both times before I ever got any contractions. My first labor I ended up with a c-section because he was breech but my second I labored for about 15 hours after my water broke with horribly painful contractions that only got me to about 3 1/2 cm dilated!! YUCK! I ended up getting an epi and pitocin and delivering pretty quickly after that. If I were you, I'd ask the midwife more questions about it before making the decision. I'm a big believer in allowing the baby to come on his/her own timing rather than rushing it with artificial methods. I think babies who are ready to come out (voluntarily!) make for easier deliveries. JMO though and I certainly can't be called an expert!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

etwahl
03-06-2003, 07:00 PM
That's actually what I was thinking, but since I really hadn't heard anything about membrane stripping, I just wasn't sure. Yes, my desire is to have a natural birth. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't, but I certainly don't want to do anything that will work against me!

I agree with letting the baby come when it's ready. My own mother delivered 3 weeks late with first baby, 2 weeks late with second, and right on time with me. I hope that doesn't repeat in my case. My midwife will only let me go two weeks past my due date before inducing, in which case I believe my desire for natural childbirth will go out the window, because I've heard that once you induce, the pain is unbearable. So anyway, I'm hoping this baby "decides" to come on his or her own VERY, VERY soon :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

parkersmama
03-06-2003, 07:08 PM
I hope you'll go soon, too! Good luck!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

Annette_C
03-06-2003, 07:18 PM
Hi Tammy,
my obgyn did strip my membranes at 41 weeks, in hope to encourage labor. It didn't work (but you're right, it does hurt and I even bled a little). I was finally induced at 42 weeks (she wanted me to wait still but I couldn't take it anymore) and good thing I insisted because Sabrina was 9 lb 4 oz! It's amazing she was born vaginally because I'm not a big person.
You don't have to do anything you don't want to....nature will take its course.
Can't wait for the blessed event!!:)
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

jubilee
03-06-2003, 07:18 PM
"Stripping the membranes is stimulating the release of prostaglandin hormones which can help ripen the cervix. It can be done at an office visit and has been shown to reduce your chances of a postterm labor." Hope that helps,

Rachels
03-06-2003, 07:26 PM
Stripping the membranes may help to bring on labor and is worth doing if you've gone over and are risking having to be induced. Before that, I would hold off if you can stand to. The thing is that it isn't foolproof, and once your membranes rupture, your midwife is going to insist that you have that baby. So it can lead to all kinds of interventions you're hoping to avoid. There's a reason your body hasn't gone into labor on its own yet. I know it's SO hard. Try to trust that your body knows what to do and will get things going on its own at the perfect time for you and your baby. Research basically shows that the only medical reason to induce is if the baby is in distress or the mother's health is jeopardized (like with preeclampsia). Women go past dates all the time, and they still have their babies. So will you! Have faith! You're going to have one amazing virtual cheering squad when it happens!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

brubeck
03-06-2003, 07:39 PM
I had this done twice in my recent pregnancy. It didn't work either time and it didn't really hurt either time (it was about as uncomfortable as checking how dilated you are). On the other hand, I have heard that it hurts a lot more if it works!

Basically the only reason to do this is if you are anxious to deliver. If you're not on a timetable, why rush the baby out?

etwahl
03-06-2003, 08:24 PM
I won't let her strip my membranes on Tuesday. I didn't think I would, but definitely wanted the opinion of all of you. She also suggested taking evening of primrose oil capsules three times a day (I think that's what it was called) but when I did some research online, it showed that there was no research to positively support this, and that it could actually cause problems.

So anyway, I'm going to deal with this the same way I dealt with the pain I had for three weeks - do nothing!!!

But I can honestly now understand how people get anxious around their due dates. It's so exciting waiting on the birth of your sweet little angel. I really can hardly wait, but I know he or she will be here soon enough and that I can wait...just hopefully not too much longer :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

jenmcadams
03-06-2003, 08:26 PM
I had my membranes stripped at 3 appointments near the end of my pregnancy (39 weeks, 40 weeks, 41 weeks)...I was 3-4 cm dilated fom 36 weeks on, but not making much progress.

Despite having my membranes stripped (which was painful, but not too bad), I still ended up having to be induced at 41 1/2 weeks b/c the fluid levels were declining rapidly. Unfortunately, my body wasn't ready for labor and after 24 hours of labor and several interventions, I ended up with a C-Section. I recovered pretty easily and have no regrets as Abbie was born healthy and relatively big (8lbs 9oz), but I would recommend no interventions if you have the choice.

Good Luck!

Jen

Tracey1
03-06-2003, 09:16 PM
Chiming in late here, you seemed to have already made your decision, but I had a different experience with this.

I had my membranes stripped on my due date (I was dilated 3cm). I wouldn't say it was really painful, but definitely uncomfortable (it's pretty much a really vigorous internal exam). I did have some spotting later that afternoon and contractions actually started later that evening. By midnight, I had regular contractions 10-12 minutes apart, went to the hospital the next morning and delivered that afternoon. By the way, as mentioned above, the idea is to stimulate the hormones (thereby stimulating contractions), not to actually break your water. My water actually didn't break on its own and my midwife ended up breaking it at the hospital.

So it actually worked for me. Would I do it again? Not sure, I was at my due date and 5 days before Christmas (I definitely didn't want to have my baby on Christmas or be in the hospital!). But the posts above were on the money regarding having your water broken - under the same circumstances, I would definitely NOT do that again. Up to the point of having my water broken, my contractions were fairly mild (4 on a scale 1-10), instantly, almost with the first contraction after my water was broke it was up to a 10. So I would need a really good reason to do that again!

HTH,

Naomi
03-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Just thought I'd share my experience with this. When I just about 40 weeks (and 3 cm dilated and fully effaced, by the way), my midwife stripped my membranes. It was uncomfortable, but I would not describe it as terribly painful. She did it on a Thursday afternoon. The following Friday morning at 5:30 am, my water broke, and Lila was born 25 hours later. I was VERY ready for her to be born, so if I had to do it again, I probably would.

Chrissy K
03-08-2003, 12:23 AM
I had my membranes stripped but only b/c I was fully effaced and 3 cm dialated for 3 weeks. My OB was concerned about infection and the size of the baby (as I am petite). It didn't break my water, or cause any more contractions than the normal internal exam. It really didn't hurt either - again it was pretty much like an internal exam, maybe just a bit longer. I think some of the "pain" is due to the fear of just what they are doing to you, plus the fact that your water could break right then and there, and basically you'd be having the baby very soon.