PDA

View Full Version : Flexible eating habits at the end of pregnancy?

etwahl
03-06-2003, 10:08 PM
The past week I've been feeling sick, similar to what I felt in my early "morning" sick weeks. It usually starts around 5pm and lasts until morning. I've been trying to stick with my normally pretty healthy eating habits - getting enough of all the food groups, proteins, etc...but I'm finding it hard because I feel so nauseous. I guess I'm just wondering if it's okay for me to be a little more flexible on my eating these last few days, basically just eating what is appealing, whether it's the best choice or not? I'm not talking about eating a lot of junk food. I guess I'm just talking about not eating as much protein, and instead eating stuff that goes down easier - fruit, yogurt, soy milk, graham crackers. Is this okay?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

COElizabeth
03-06-2003, 10:33 PM
Well, I did eat a fair amount of junk food the whole time, I'm ashamed to say. Good food, too. Pretty much all food! It sounds like you have been doing really well, though, and the foods you mention all sound pretty healthy. And yogurt and soy milk do have quite a bit of protein, so I wouldn't worry about that. Since your tummy isn't demanding a strict Oreo diet, I would trust it!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

nathansmom
03-06-2003, 11:08 PM
I had the same problem my last 2 weeks. The only thing I could do was eat chicken noodle soup and crackers. The doctor said it was the way the baby was pushing against my stomach. He suggested eating small meals every few hours.

etwahl
03-06-2003, 11:30 PM
It's kind of funny, but I have a ziploc bag of the snack size graham crackers (honey flavored) in my night stand drawer, and I end up sitting there several times a night - eyes closed, half asleep - eating handfuls of them and bottles of warm water, just to try and get rid of the nausea.

This baby just doesn't want to give my body a break. Hopefully she won't be so difficult on the outside :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Rachels
03-07-2003, 11:38 AM
I'm so sorry. That late-pregnancy body misery is so normal, but so awful. You could also try drinking ginger tea and taking papaya enzymes (chewable tablets that aid digestion-- available at most drugstores). Try to keep some protein going in if you can stand it. This will all be over soon! The day after my baby was born, I felt better than I'd felt in eons.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Shirale
03-07-2003, 11:41 AM
Actually Tammy, they (don't know who they are) say that the babies that are the most trouble inside tend to be the easiest outside!!!!! Hope that is true for you!! And hope you are feeling much much much better....I second trying ginger, that often helps with Nausea, also smelling lemons sometimes does....

etwahl
03-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Oh I hope so! That would be such a great present to me :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

mama2be
03-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Well I'm no help here because I literally ate anything and everything during pregnancy...including sushi :)... I hardly ever took my extra vitamins and took the medicine that I deemed necessary for me at the time...so I'm a rebel but he appears healthy as a horse...

KathyO
03-07-2003, 10:20 PM
I'd say, since you're talking about good food (not subsisting on Coca-Cola and Twinkies, or something like that), go ahead and eat whatever goes down comfortably. Sounds to me like you've got all the food groups accounted for.

Developmentally, your baby is now "all installed", and just waiting for the "on-switch" to be pushed for the next round of fun to begin!!

Hang in there...

KathyO